JK vs TJ - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Savage1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 155
JK vs TJ

Does it seem the JK comes stock with a higher lift and rim/tires than the TJ? Also, do the two have Comparable off road capablities in stock form?

__________________
(Elwood Blues):... it's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses ...

(Jake Blues):... hit it ...

Savage1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
06GoldenEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: bergen county, nj
Posts: 845
JKs come with taller tires and larger rims for sure. not sure if the lift is any higher. both should have relatively the same off road capability if both are trail rated models

__________________
Bergen county, NJ
06GoldenEagle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
"Seamed Like a Good Idea

WF Supporting Member
 
TJWenatchee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 1,200
Images: 29
I would agree.
__________________
See my TJ Build Page on Facebook
TJWenatchee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Vroooom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sin-Tex
Posts: 1,504
This topic is gonna stir-up a s---storm of arguments cuz lots of folks cant simply state an opinion and leave it at that. They gotta be "right" and try to sway others into being "right" with them.

I do not have that afliction. I can give my opinion, knowing that many will disagree vehemently. Thats ok with me.

Ive had both....TJ and a new JKu.

I think the TJ is a better JEEP in the classic sense of the word. It is more basic and more capable in terms of off-road maneuverability (shorter, narrower, better HP to Weight ratio).

I think the JK is the better JEEP in the revised sense of the word....do almost anything, almost anywhere, almost anytime.....and have a hell of a lot of fun in the process. It is more comfortable and more technologically advanced, and that appeals to many of the newer users.

Naturally there will always be those that argue that the CJ is supreme...or the Willys...or whatever floats their boat.

Ultimately...its whatever fits YOU the best...for now.

Everything changes.
__________________
Threads wander aimlessly....always refer back to post #1
2012 Black Unlimited Sahara (mine)
2011 Black Corvette 3LT (wife's)
2005 Black Suzuki C50T (ours)
"Hope" is NOT a strategy
Vroooom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
usjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clayton NC
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroooom View Post
This topic is gonna stir-up a s---storm of arguments cuz lots of folks cant simply state an opinion and leave it at that. They gotta be "right" and try to sway others into being "right" with them.

I do not have that afliction. I can give my opinion, knowing that many will disagree vehemently. Thats ok with me.

Ive had both....TJ and a new JKu.

I think the TJ is a better JEEP in the classic sense of the word. It is more basic and more capable in terms of off-road maneuverability (shorter, narrower, better HP to Weight ratio).

I think the JK is the better JEEP in the revised sense of the word....do almost anything, almost anywhere, almost anytime.....and have a hell of a lot of fun in the process. It is more comfortable and more technologically advanced, and that appeals to many of the newer users.

Naturally there will always be those that argue that the CJ is supreme...or the Willys...or whatever floats their boat.

Ultimately...its whatever fits YOU the best...for now.

Everything changes.

I got to agree Vroooom on this.
usjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
00tj2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 1,204
I know this much... No matter how I adjust the seat my head is pressed up against the sound bar... And I mean adjusting for real driving, not putting the seat all the way forward... Never happens in my TJ no matter what I do to the seat.
__________________
I know a lot of things, most of them are only correct in my own head...

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six. I'm sure this is going to get me in trouble down the line
00tj2 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
DaisyCutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by usjeep View Post
I got to agree Vroooom on this.
Me too.

Lock it now.
__________________
2013 Wrangler JK, 285hp, NSG-370 6-speed, NV241 TC, Dana-44R/30F 3.73 axles, Rubicon suspension, armored, and Toyo Open Country ATII's...

"Too many times, too many times, paying the price just for the thrill" - Tesla
DaisyCutter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Savage1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Baltimore Area
Posts: 155
I was just thinking the new JK had more ground clearance due to the bigger rim and tires which would require more of a lift; and both seem to have the trail rated badge. But my 2003 is not trail rated what-ever that means.
__________________
(Elwood Blues):... it's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses ...

(Jake Blues):... hit it ...

Savage1979 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,159
Images: 2
Offroad-wise, I'm certain they have the same capabilities. My problem with the JK is that having worked on many TJs and several JKs, TJs are a LOT easier to perform basic modifications on. It's a more complex vehicle where its body is concerned and it is very car-like in terms of its complexity... difficult to get to things that are exposed and easy to get to/bolt to on a TJ. I had a nightmare weekend installing rocker guards on a friend's new JK that should have take a couple hours at the most but took nearly two days due to the JK's new double-wall construction in the rocker guard area. Not to mention when I drove it, its V6 engine and its performance seemed very family-van like.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,218
LOL.....what does "stock lift" mean?
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
06GoldenEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: bergen county, nj
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Offroad-wise, I'm certain they have the same capabilities. My problem with the JK is that having worked on many TJs and several JKs, TJs are a LOT easier to perform basic modifications on. It's a more complex vehicle where its body is concerned and it is very car-like in terms of its complexity... difficult to get to things that are exposed and easy to get to/bolt to on a TJ. I had a nightmare weekend installing rocker guards on a friend's new JK that should have take a couple hours at the most but took nearly two days due to the JK's new double-wall construction in the rocker guard area. Not to mention when I drove it, its V6 engine and its performance seemed very family-van like.
was it family van-like with the 3.8L minivan motor?
could explain it
__________________
Bergen county, NJ
06GoldenEagle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
jebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,289
both will hold there own tjs are my fav because they are a balance between comfort (jk) and hardcore (cj and to a lesser extent yj) plus i could afford my tj and i can turn a wrench on it.... that being said when the wifes buick dies a jku is a front runner for replacement
jebby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Pontiackid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: downingtown pa
Posts: 661
Easy..

JK mall crawler- TJ bada$$ jeep
JK soccer mom mobile - TJ bada$$ jeep
JK I'm afraid to get it dirty- TJ bada$$ jeep....


I've driven the JK's and used to sell them... I hate them with a passion... the wrangler lost is balls with the JK in my opinion..
__________________
2000 wrangler
06 Pontiac solstice
84 IMSA fiero
2002 300M special
Pontiackid87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
OregonRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 139
JK = stealer has them

TJ = can't pry one out of a guys dead cold hands on the steering wheel.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2307816418.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	90556
OregonRubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
I've had both, in terms of clearance, suspension and off road capability off the show room floor the jk takes it...sorry...it does. In terms of ease of modification and overall "jeeplikeness" the tj takes it. That's why I got rid of my jk and got an lj.
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
s14sh3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton, OK
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiackid87 View Post
Easy..

JK mall crawler- TJ bada$$ jeep
JK soccer mom mobile - TJ bada$$ jeep
JK I'm afraid to get it dirty- TJ bada$$ jeep....


I've driven the JK's and used to sell them... I hate them with a passion... the wrangler lost is balls with the JK in my opinion..
I remember hearing the same things when the Wrangler came out.
s14sh3r is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiackid87 View Post
Easy..

JK mall crawler- TJ bada$$ jeep
JK soccer mom mobile - TJ bada$$ jeep
JK I'm afraid to get it dirty- TJ bada$$ jeep....


I've driven the JK's and used to sell them... I hate them with a passion... the wrangler lost is balls with the JK in my opinion..
JK pinion huge--TJ pinion small
JK HP 44--TJ LP30 or LP44

Here's a nice example of a non-mall crawler


Just sayin.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
MNTNGOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fullerton CA
Posts: 837
ive deff seen WAY more JKs like this ^^^ than i have TJs on the trails but i also see more stock jks too. but thats cause they sell more theres more of them around so there not allll mall crawlers.
__________________
all my friends call me COOP a LOOP! Feel free to do the same.
MNTNGOAT is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,218
An an equally nice TJ.....



Point being: There are pluses and minuses but once you go over the deep end, there's no difference.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
jwm1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,024
Stock for stock it seems like the JK's get hung on the belly easier than a TJ. But i'm also of the opinion they can both be equally capable with a few basic mods. It's all personal preference and budget.
__________________
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0L / 5spd
jwm1986 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,445
I think stock that a JK is obviously going to be better, unless your in a place with alot of sharp angles, because the short wheelbase may help you over a jku. but then again the long wheelbase of a jku will help with hills. As for modding. Well if you can buy a nice lj rubi for 15k and a nice jk rubi for 30k. you have that much extra money to add pretty much anything you heart desires. Personally I bought a inexpensive non rubi because I knew I would be replacing alot of the parts anyways.

I don't really think it matters if one is better. Its more of an individual jeep thing. because as soon as you put a few hundred bucks one way or another you can say one would be better. Just buy your jeep and love it.

Both are capable offroad, both can be moddified very much. TJs are easier to work on, and the amount of electronic dependency is the thing that makes me dislike the JK the most. I also am very fond of the I6.

The JK has a different fender/body style, and sits slightly higher due to this and due to the slightly larger wheels.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

Point being: There are pluses and minuses but once you go over the deep end, there's no difference.
Thats the perfect way to sum it up.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,702
Both are pretty damn capable.
I'll personally mail you a dollar if you ever got into a situation where the very small difference in exterior dimensions stopped your JK where a TJ could go, ruling out driver ability.
__________________
My battle with Chrysler over getting my Jeep repaired under warranty: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ins...ml#post3467156
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
Official WF thread de-railer
 
Mr. Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fair Hill, Maryland
Posts: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiackid87 View Post
Easy..

JK mall crawler- TJ bada$$ jeep
JK soccer mom mobile - TJ bada$$ jeep
JK I'm afraid to get it dirty- TJ bada$$ jeep....


I've driven the JK's and used to sell them... I hate them with a passion... the wrangler lost is balls with the JK in my opinion..
Dude you drive a Solstice, you lost the ability to criticize "balls".
__________________
My battle with Chrysler over getting my Jeep repaired under warranty: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/ins...ml#post3467156
Mr. Sinister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
99 tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00
I think stock that a JK is obviously going to be better, unless your in a place with alot of sharp angles, because the short wheelbase may help you over a jku. but then again the long wheelbase of a jku will help with hills. As for modding. Well if you can buy a nice lj rubi for 15k and a nice jk rubi for 30k. you have that much extra money to add pretty much anything you heart desires. Personally I bought a inexpensive non rubi because I knew I would be replacing alot of the parts anyways.

I don't really think it matters if one is better. Its more of an individual jeep thing. because as soon as you put a few hundred bucks one way or another you can say one would be better. Just buy your jeep and love it.

Both are capable offroad, both can be moddified very much. TJs are easier to work on, and the amount of electronic dependency is the thing that makes me dislike the JK the most. I also am very fond of the I6.

The JK has a different fender/body style, and sits slightly higher due to this and due to the slightly larger wheels.
I agree no matter what u have as long as it says jeep on it. Love it and do what u can afford to do with it if u start to argue about which one is better your no different than the hummer group if it's a jeep they are all the same.
99 tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Bobs Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 89
I have a TJ and a JKU. My wife drives the JKU mostly and I drive the TJ. They both are great Jeeps. I am more familiar with the inter-workings of the TJ but only because this is my second one.
__________________
2004 "X" Wrangler, Shale Green, 5sp, 6cyl, 33" Duratrac tires, Pro Comp rims JKS 1.25'' body lift, JKS 1" MML.
Bobs Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
At the end of the day they both are still a jeep. The jk bashing happened to the tj's from yj guys,and to yj guys from cj guys. Its all stupid. Few months ago there was a jku directly behind me on the trail, he had the same basic mods I have. He kept up just fine.
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,634
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #29
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
Dude you drive a Solstice, you lost the ability to criticize "balls".

I just died. Thank you, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 View Post
At the end of the day they both are still a jeep. The jk bashing happened to the tj's from yj guys,and to yj guys from cj guys. Its all stupid. Few months ago there was a jku directly behind me on the trail, he had the same basic mods I have. He kept up just fine.

and the guys in the wagons behind oxen bashed those gosh dang willys didn't they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 tj View Post
I agree no matter what u have as long as it says jeep on it. Love it and do what u can afford to do with it if u start to argue about which one is better your no different than the hummer group if it's a jeep they are all the same.

no doubt man
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #30
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
OregonRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95
At the end of the day they both are still a jeep. The jk bashing happened to the tj's from yj guys,and to yj guys from cj guys. Its all stupid. Few months ago there was a jku directly behind me on the trail, he had the same basic mods I have. He kept up just fine.
Show us some good pics of your rig there Jackie boy.

OregonRubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC