K&N cold air intake - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
guerriero321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fuquay-Varina and Greenville NC
Posts: 71
Send a message via Skype™ to guerriero321
K&N cold air intake

any noticeable changes with anybody who has this? even worth the buy?

K&N 57-1514-1 $287.99 - 57 Series FIPK, Air Intake / Cold Air Intake

guerriero321 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Jma20a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 3,046
not worth the money, all it does is give the sound of an intake and not a noticeable change

__________________
Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X. She's never coming back and don't ask Y.
Jma20a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
guerriero321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fuquay-Varina and Greenville NC
Posts: 71
Send a message via Skype™ to guerriero321
thanks for the advice!
guerriero321 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
No noticeable change but it sounds soooo sexy. I enjoy mine.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,125
complete waste of money...unless you like letting dust into your engine and the incessant drone of a vacuum cleaner while you drive.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,207
Images: 2
X2, K&N air filters are notorious for letting fine dust and silica particulates past. I wouldn't run a K&N air filter unless I didn't like my engine and was trying to make it wear out prematurely.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
B.B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 167
I will trade the K&N CAI system that came on my Rubi by (installed by PO) straight up to anyone for the stock setup. You pay your freight, i'll pay mine ......
__________________


'06 TJ Rubi Bright Silver Auto .....A KEEPER !!!
B.B. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
zdragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 531
believe it or not......TJ stock intake is by far the best intake system for the I-6
zdragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Arkansas
Posts: 229
I just bought a '02 "X" last month with the 4.0L and it has a K&N filter in the stock box. I haven't read up on it, but I've always been skeptical it does much good & I see no way to let in more air without letting in more dirt particles. Sounds like some have done the homework and confirmed the additional dirt does come with a K&N. Back to stock next trip to the auto parts store.
Remus_Redbone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
"Seamed Like a Good Idea

WF Supporting Member
 
TJWenatchee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 1,200
Images: 29
Get the same sound by recording a CD of Star Wars and cranking it up on the Radio when Darth Vader is breathing.
__________________
See my TJ Build Page on Facebook
TJWenatchee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJWenatchee
Get the same sound by recording a CD of Star Wars and cranking it up on the Radio when Darth Vader is breathing.
Lolz :-)
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 28
I guess the reason people ask questions on a site like this is they value the opinions of others. some comments are true some ??? I don't think your going to see much difference in any one (1) bolt on item to help your jeep. i have one of everything on my 06 tj. K&N, Spacer, Stage one chip and Magnaflow cat back. I live at 5300' and 95% of my jeeping is at this or higher altitude, up to 13,000' the person who posted about K&Ns letting in more dirt is 100% correct, more air = more dirt "particles"
Is K&N a bad idea ?? i can tell you that NO stock tj or the new 2012 JK can touch my tj in 1/4 mile and in 25 to 75 speed test i'll blow your doors off Banks headers and stage two chip are next, i'll let you know how they work.
WEBEGPN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBEGPN View Post
K&N, Spacer, Stage one chip and Magnaflow cat back. I live at 5300' and 95% of my jeeping is at this or higher altitude, up to 13,000' the person who posted about K&Ns letting in more dirt is 100% correct, more air = more dirt "particles"
I have none of that crap and I wheel at 13,000 ft all the time. 4.88 gears made the biggest difference getting up steep grades at highway speeds. When i ran a cold air intake with the oiled style air filter, it clogged with dust so fast it needed cleaned every 2000 miles or so, otherwise the engine idled high @ 1200rpms and sputtered like crazy. In addition the big open element & metal intake tube served as a good heatsink to actually increase air intake temperatures.

Going back to the stock box with a small horn modification got me better fuel mileage, better air filtration, colder intake temperatures and best of all no difference in power.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
Custom JEEP Decals
 
TJe0454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBEGPN View Post
I guess the reason people ask questions on a site like this is they value the opinions of others. some comments are true some ??? I don't think your going to see much difference in any one (1) bolt on item to help your jeep. i have one of everything on my 06 tj. K&N, Spacer, Stage one chip and Magnaflow cat back. I live at 5300' and 95% of my jeeping is at this or higher altitude, up to 13,000' the person who posted about K&Ns letting in more dirt is 100% correct, more air = more dirt "particles"
Is K&N a bad idea ?? i can tell you that NO stock tj or the new 2012 JK can touch my tj in 1/4 mile and in 25 to 75 speed test i'll blow your doors off Banks headers and stage two chip are next, i'll let you know how they work.
as soon as i read 'spacer', i knew that you had no idea what you were talking about. A throttle body spacer does NOTHING on a TJ. So $50 for the spacer, $200 for the K&N, $500 for the Magnaflow Cat back, $250 for the chip...thats one thousand dollars wasted. Shame. Should have regeared instead.
TJe0454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
There's no replacement for displacement either :-) plus yer polishing a turd if you're throwing any after market performance exhaust on an 00 or higher head.. 1k coulda been a nice mild stroker motor..
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,473
It's really funny - people complain the oiled gauze filters get dirty too fast. Isn't that it's job? To catch the dirt?

Why does a toilet paper filter last 20,000 miles without clogging? Do gremlins clean it while you are asleep? Where do you think that dirt goes?

If you don't want it to get dirty and last even longer than a toilet paper filter - leave it on the shelf. Let all that dirt get in!

The main problem with the K&N - it uses screw clamps to hold it on - screw clamps tend to "pucker" the rubber seals, leaving gaps for dirt to get past. Use the wire clamps that hold the materiel equally all the way around.
Screw clamps are good for holding in pressure - radiator, heater hoses, etc, not for negative pressure - vacuum etc.

Buying the entire intake system is dumb. Simply cut off the stock plastic tube and put the cone filter on the end. 0 $$$.

Contrary to internet guff, You will feel a difference pulling hills.

The stock system was designed as a silencer, filtering the air was secondary. There are Federal new car standards limiting noise, but not how clean the air must be.

There's a popular chart comparison floating around - it compares several filters - for diesels. Check them out - all but one and the K&N are no longer made!
That's like saying a machine gun is not practical - compared to a Roman soldiers sword. True - he doesn't have to reload.
__________________
It's no wonder the country is falling apart - stupidity abounds!
rrich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
wipke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: jacksonvill FL
Posts: 61
thanks guys you just saved me 250$
__________________
wipke is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
J708's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 210
i just installed the k and n airfilter. 0- 100 i was doing around 9.2 secs. now ive got it down to 8.8 - 8.9. im happy with my 50 buck purchase. the negative posts on this thread really freaked me out.
J708 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,207
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J708 View Post
The negative posts on this thread really freaked me out.
Apparently they didn't freak you out as much as they were intended to and should have.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #20
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The land of Salted Iron
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
It's really funny - people complain the oiled gauze filters get dirty too fast. Isn't that it's job? To catch the dirt?

Why does a toilet paper filter last 20,000 miles without clogging? Do gremlins clean it while you are asleep? Where do you think that dirt goes?

If you don't want it to get dirty and last even longer than a toilet paper filter - leave it on the shelf. Let all that dirt get in!

The main problem with the K&N - it uses screw clamps to hold it on - screw clamps tend to "pucker" the rubber seals, leaving gaps for dirt to get past. Use the wire clamps that hold the materiel equally all the way around.
Screw clamps are good for holding in pressure - radiator, heater hoses, etc, not for negative pressure - vacuum etc.

Buying the entire intake system is dumb. Simply cut off the stock plastic tube and put the cone filter on the end. 0 $$$.

Contrary to internet guff, You will feel a difference pulling hills.

The stock system was designed as a silencer, filtering the air was secondary. There are Federal new car standards limiting noise, but not how clean the air must be.

There's a popular chart comparison floating around - it compares several filters - for diesels. Check them out - all but one and the K&N are no longer made!
That's like saying a machine gun is not practical - compared to a Roman soldiers sword. True - he doesn't have to reload.
The last (and only) K&N filter I used was on a vehicle that could've actually made use of a less restrictive air filter. The major change I saw was a nasty carb when I pulled the filter off for some adjustments.

I went back to a paper filter at that point, and haven't looked back since.
__________________
His: 1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...

Hers: 1987 Grand Wagoneer, stock w/Falken Wildpeak ATs
lindel is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
6InARowMakesItGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: right behind you
Posts: 1,863
zombie threads freak me out.
__________________
2003 Rubicon, 4.0L, 5SPD, Custom 4.75" lift, 33" MT Baja Claws
1999 SE, 2.5L, 5SPD, sold it
PM me for wheeling in and around Northern Illinois
6InARowMakesItGo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
Newb
 
TJoverall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2
Images: 4
If you really want to try running a CAI in your Jeep then just buy a Kool Vue CAI off Ebay. They only cost $66. The only thing you're really paying for when you buy one from any maker is the filter. Run the cheap one and if you don't like it you're only out $66, not $200+.
TJoverall is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
kshaws21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ga. Mountains
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by J708 View Post
i just installed the k and n airfilter. 0- 100 i was doing around 9.2 secs. now ive got it down to 8.8 - 8.9. im happy with my 50 buck purchase. the negative posts on this thread really freaked me out.
There's no "stock engine" TJ on the planet that can do 0-100 in 9.2 secs. Can we assume you are talking kmh and not mph?

If your engine is built up with much more than the factory hp rating, then an aftermarket air filter may help. If not, there's no point in getting one.

Regardless, what does 0-60 performance even matter in a Jeep?
kshaws21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by J708 View Post
i just installed the k and n airfilter. 0- 100 i was doing around 9.2 secs. now ive got it down to 8.8 - 8.9. im happy with my 50 buck purchase. the negative posts on this thread really freaked me out.
At first I didn't think this was a joke. It is a joke right?
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigunman View Post

At first I didn't think this was a joke. It is a joke right?
Yes, very much yes
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
Going back to the stock box with a small horn modification got me better fuel mileage, better air filtration, colder intake temperatures and best of all no difference in power.
Small horn modification? Care to share?
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Small horn modification? Care to share?
IIRC he used a Ford Areostar air horn in place of the stock one. The Aerostar horn is straight and the end of it was right behind the headlight. This is what I recall, but I could be wrong.
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post

IIRC he used a Ford Areostar air horn in place of the stock one. The Aerostar horn is straight and the end of it was right behind the headlight. This is what I recall, but I could be wrong.
Rings a bell now! Thanks.

OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cold Air Intake (k&n kit)...reason not to? sdgmcdon JK General Discussion Forum 126 09-07-2011 07:13 PM
K&N Cold Air Intake Sekstrand3 TJ Tech Forum 70 11-08-2010 05:37 PM
anyone have experiance with dry cold air intake filters? lwszabo General Jeep Discussion 4 08-09-2010 11:11 AM
Cold Air Intake? Kodysteeler43 TJ Tech Forum 47 06-17-2010 04:30 PM
snorkel vs. cold air intake vs. k&n air filter 97REDTJ TJ General Discussion Forum 4 06-25-2006 01:03 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC