Leaning ALOT when i turn - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Superdave1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 34
Superdave1017 is on a distinguished road
Leaning ALOT when i turn

Hey guys first post...
01 sport 95 k, 3 susp list 3 inch body lift 35 inch tires
Rancho 5000 shocks
When I turn the body wants to roll alot I just got this jeep. I have had other jeeps in the past but all were stock on 33 inch tires I want my younger daughter to drive it but am afraid she isn't experienced enough to handle the "yaw" how can I tighten up the feel? are the springs weak? Do I need a rear track bar.. I am willing to sacrifice a little to make the on road handling better and safer
Superdave1017 is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,518
Imped is on a distinguished road
Does it have front and rear sway bars? Are the links connected? You can see that, we can't.....

__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,642
Cons_Table is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave1017 View Post
Hey guys first post...
01 sport 95 k, 3 susp list 3 inch body lift 35 inch tires
Rancho 5000 shocks
When I turn the body wants to roll alot I just got this jeep. I have had other jeeps in the past but all were stock on 33 inch tires I want my younger daughter to drive it but am afraid she isn't experienced enough to handle the "yaw" how can I tighten up the feel? are the springs weak? Do I need a rear track bar.. I am willing to sacrifice a little to make the on road handling better and safer
Do you not have a rear trackbar? This is REQUIRED on a jeep running coil springs and the stock suspension configuration.

Do you have sway bars front and rear? and are they connected?
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote
 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 7,445
Dextreme is on a distinguished road
Yeah, without the front swaybars links attached it will handle like a slinky.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ - I4 PowerTech motor
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
F8.8/Artec Rear
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
SinfulDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 981
SinfulDragon is on a distinguished road
3" body lift, yeah, I could see how its gonna start to feel a little top heavy with that.
SinfulDragon is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 42,645
Jerry Bransford is on a distinguished road
Make sure it has both the front and rear antiswaybars installed and that both are connected on both sides. It's certainly not your Rancho R5000 shocks which are as stiff as they come. Also, are your 35" tires at the right air pressure? 25-26 is about right for them, nothing less.

Finally, a 3" body lift is, plain and simple, a bad idea... not to mention it will make any Jeep sway more around curves due to it raising its center-of-gravity.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Superdave1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 34
Superdave1017 is on a distinguished road
Guys thanks for the suggestions. Going out to look right now
Superdave1017 is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Superdave1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 34
Superdave1017 is on a distinguished road
Ok checked it out ..front left sway bar link disconnected ...Wow ! Handles much better after connecting it... Rear sway bar GONE... Would someone take it off ??or would it fall off?? Can't find tire pressure gauge ugh but will check pressure tomorrow. Didn't realize that front sway bar would make that much of a difference. So now here is the added question ... Will a rear sway bar even help more?? Are there tighter sway bars than others or will a stock be fine And will removing the body lift or replacing with a smaller one help even more with the handling.
Superdave1017 is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 8,174
InvertChaos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave1017
Ok checked it out ..front left sway bar link disconnected ...Wow ! Handles much better after connecting it... Rear sway bar GONE... Would someone take it off ??or would it fall off?? Can't find tire pressure gauge ugh but will check pressure tomorrow. Didn't realize that front sway bar would make that much of a difference. So now here is the added question ... Will a rear sway bar even help more?? Are there tighter sway bars than others or will a stock be fine And will removing the body lift or replacing with a smaller one help even more with the handling.
I think some of the 4cyl TJs didn't come with a rear one (I have no idea why) but it couldn't hurt. Lowering the body lift would reduce the center of gravity so it would make it lean less.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" OME HD coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 42,645
Jerry Bransford is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave1017 View Post
Ok checked it out ..front left sway bar link disconnected ...Wow ! Handles much better after connecting it... Rear sway bar GONE... Would someone take it off ??or would it fall off?? Can't find tire pressure gauge ugh but will check pressure tomorrow. Didn't realize that front sway bar would make that much of a difference. So now here is the added question ... Will a rear sway bar even help more?? Are there tighter sway bars than others or will a stock be fine And will removing the body lift or replacing with a smaller one help even more with the handling.
While some of the low-end SE (4 cylinder) Jeeps didn't come with a rear antiswaybar, your Sport definitely did so the previous owner must have removed it. Yep, installing one will make a very noticeable improvement in handling. And the stock OE antiswaybar is fine, no need for a stiffer version. Finally, installing a rear antiswaybar is a very simple process... four bolts and two brackets hold it to the axle, then a bolt on each of the two links connect it to the chassis.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Superdave1017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 34
Superdave1017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
While some of the low-end SE (4 cylinder) Jeeps didn't come with a rear antiswaybar, your Sport definitely did so the previous owner must have removed it. Yep, installing one will make a very noticeable improvement in handling. And the stock OE antiswaybar is fine, no need for a stiffer version. Finally, installing a rear antiswaybar is a very simple process... four bolts and two brackets hold it to the axle, then a bolt on each of the two links connect it to the chassis.
Guys
Thank you sooo much. It's peeps like you that make these forums worth a darn!
Superdave1017 is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 42,645
Jerry Bransford is on a distinguished road
By the way Dave, you should be able to find a good used rear antiswaybar and its mounting brackets someplace like eBay. The same antiswaybar and mounting brackets are shared between both rear axles that came on the Wrangler, both the Dana 35c and Dana 44.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner