Lift decision made.. have some questions and need an installer in Michigan - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
royp039's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
Lift decision made.. have some questions and need an installer in Michigan

Going the 2 inch Old Man Emu suspension lift, 1.25 inch JKS body lift with 1 inch motor mount lift route w/ 33's

Anything I am missing anything?

Poured through forums for weeks and I know people regear alot ( i have 3.73 w/ 4.0 auto) but that, financially, is not in the cards yet.

Also can anyone refer a REPUTABLE person in the Metro Detroit Area for installation?

Thanks from a new Jeeper!

royp039 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,733
Images: 3
Good choice. I run the same set up but I also added a 3/4 inch spring spacer up front just to make the Jeep sit level.

Those gears will need to be changed out in time running the larger tires. Not sure what type of driving or wheeling you do but you may also want to consider upgrading the axles too.

530ktm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 5,468
Images: 1
You will be ok with 3.73 and 33's which is what I have. Some say is is not satiscfactory but many like me seem to agree, if is fine.

If you have not researched it, installing a lift is not that complicated and will save a lot of money. There is a lot of info on the forums, web and manufactuer's sites how to install. The majority of the steps are the same for a budget boost or a spring lift. Different sources have some different tips/tricks so read a number of them. Get under the vehicle and become familiar with what they are talking about. Then you can decide if you can do it. Regardless if you do not do it it, it's a good to know how it is supposed to be done.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
MikeMTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: If only I knew....
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via AIM to MikeMTJ
What year is your TJ? If you have a 4 Speed auto, you will be pretty unhappy of you don't regear.
MikeMTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by royp039 View Post
Going the 2 inch Old Man Emu suspension lift, 1.25 inch JKS body lift with 1 inch motor mount lift route w/ 33's

Anything I am missing anything?

Poured through forums for weeks and I know people regear alot ( i have 3.73 w/ 4.0 auto) but that, financially, is not in the cards yet.

Also can anyone refer a REPUTABLE person in the Metro Detroit Area for installation?

Thanks from a new Jeeper!
don't forget bumpstop extensions. with 33's thats going to be about 1.25"-1.5" in front and at least 1.3" in the rear. OME only includes 0.8" rear extensions with their kit.

as for regearing - what year auto? 32RH or 42RLE? if its the 42RLE, it will suck bad. the 42RLE needs 4.88s for 33s, so 3.73s will suck something fierce. the 32RH won't be as bad, as that tranny only needs 4.10s for 33s.

the REPUTABLE people to install the lift and everything is you. you do the work yourself, then you know its correct...and you learn a bunch in the process. there are plenty of write ups and instructions, and it's not hard just time consuming.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 209
To many pieces to lift your jeep IMO. I'm in Jackson and have looked at Planet Power Sports Truck Center in Coldwater. I believe they do installs and probably will have you leaning toward a 4" Zone lift with upgraded shocks, instead of the option you posted. I'm lifting mine myself as I have a heated shop and hoist.
timberland is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Mr_RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Howell Michigan
Posts: 784
these guys will install it Diversified Automotive Creations - Home they know what they are doing but Im not sure it will be cheap. give them a call, not far from metro Detroit
__________________
2001 TJ 4.0L Automatic, D35/30, both hard and soft top, full doors,JKS quicker Disconnects, 31" discoverer ATR, American racing 767 offset 15" wheel. ProComp Genuine steel bumpers front and back. glass pack muffler, Rugged Ridge extended fender flares, 130w KC daylighters, motorcycle light for reverse lights. 86,000k miles (11-7-2012)
Mr_RPM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
royp039's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Good choice. I run the same set up but I also added a 3/4 inch spring spacer up front just to make the Jeep sit level.

Those gears will need to be changed out in time running the larger tires. Not sure what type of driving or wheeling you do but you may also want to consider upgrading the axles too.

Your jeep was the inspiration for what I want my lift to look like. Clean, even, etc
royp039 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
royp039's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMTJ View Post
What year is your TJ? If you have a 4 Speed auto, you will be pretty unhappy of you don't regear.
I have a 2004
royp039 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
royp039's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
don't forget bumpstop extensions. with 33's thats going to be about 1.25"-1.5" in front and at least 1.3" in the rear. OME only includes 0.8" rear extensions with their kit.

as for regearing - what year auto? 32RH or 42RLE? if its the 42RLE, it will suck bad. the 42RLE needs 4.88s for 33s, so 3.73s will suck something fierce. the 32RH won't be as bad, as that tranny only needs 4.10s for 33s.

the REPUTABLE people to install the lift and everything is you. you do the work yourself, then you know its correct...and you learn a bunch in the process. there are plenty of write ups and instructions, and it's not hard just time consuming.
I may be the LEAST mechanically inclined person on the earth...lol

You know that guy that puts stuff together and always has pieces left over? Thats me.

Wrong guy for a Jeep but it is my dream car!
royp039 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by royp039 View Post
I may be the LEAST mechanically inclined person on the earth...lol

You know that guy that puts stuff together and always has pieces left over? Thats me.
like I said - LEARN. there was a time when I didn't know how to operate a wrench...but then I learned more and more. trust me, it's not hard, all you need is a WILLINGNESS TO LEARN.
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
doclouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Was in the mountains, now in Texas
Posts: 3,679
Images: 4
There is a place on Eureka road in Taylor, but I forget the name. Good knowledgeable shop.
__________________
2000 Sahara, 3.5" Rubicon Express Lift, 1" spring spacer & 1" Body Lift, 33" or 35" BFG Mud tires, Front & Rear ARB, Rancho 9000 shocks, UCF Ultra High Belly Up

doclouie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
MikeMTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: If only I knew....
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via AIM to MikeMTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by royp039

I have a 2004
You will most certainly notice a loss in power. Say goodbye to OD. It's going to shift in and out and in and out of OD with 3.73 gears.
MikeMTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
nu arty boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by doclouie View Post
There is a place on Eureka road in Taylor, but I forget the name. Good knowledgeable shop.
Jeeperz Creeperz. I've had them do work on my Jeep before and they know what they are doing.
__________________
"Courage is being scared to death.....and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

********NO SACRIFICE, NO VICTORY********
nu arty boy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by royp039 View Post
I may be the LEAST mechanically inclined person on the earth...lol

You know that guy that puts stuff together and always has pieces left over? Thats me.

Wrong guy for a Jeep but it is my dream car!
Owning a Jeep will teach you how to use a more than a few tools,

timberland is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC