Lift Ideas For A Daily Driver TJ - What's Best? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Aardwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Norwood, ON
Posts: 37
Arrow Lift Ideas For A Daily Driver TJ - What's Best?

Hi Everyone,

I have already spent several days reading posts on this forum but my question still remains:

"What is the best set-up for a Daily Driver to make it perform well on road, be adequate off road and look good at the same time?"

I am thinking about the Rough Country 2.5 Inch Lift (springs and shocks kit) and a JKS 1.25 Body Lift, a 1 inch Motor Mount Lift, a Tummy Tuck and skid plates all around. I would rather go to the Rough Country 3.25 Inch Lift Kit but was told I would get driveline vibrations. I want to keep it simple and don't think I want to be greasing control arms, lowering my transmission or drilling holes in my Jeep. I want to upgrade to 33 inch tires as well. My ride is a 2005 Rubicon, 6 Speed with the hardtop installed. I am sure many others would also appreciate your comments.

Aardwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Jeep Ninja

WF Supporting Member
 
scgeek12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardwolf View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have already spent several days reading posts on this forum but my question still remains:

"What is the best set-up for a Daily Driver to make it perform well on road, be adequate off road and look good at the same time?"

I am thinking about the Rough Country 2.5 Inch Lift (springs and shocks kit) and a JKS 1.25 Body Lift, a 1 inch Motor Mount Lift, a Tummy Tuck and skid plates all around. I would rather go to the Rough Country 3.25 Inch Lift Kit but was told I would get driveline vibrations. I want to keep it simple and don't think I want to be greasing control arms, lowering my transmission or drilling holes in my Jeep. I want to upgrade to 33 inch tires as well. My ride is a 2005 Rubicon, 6 Speed with the hardtop installed. I am sure many others would also appreciate your comments.
You can lift your jeep as much as you want and avoid driveline vibes, you just need a SYE and CV style rear driveshaft installed with the lift as well ($400ish for parts, ive been quoted 300-400 for install but it looks easy enough to do)

heres a great video on how to install one-


__________________
"if it aint broke, fix it till' it is!"
my build- http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/scge...ad-117592.html
scgeek12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
jrmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 441
You don't need an sye for a Rubicon. You will be fine with whatever lift you choose you may just need to upgrade your driveshaft
jrmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Aardwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Norwood, ON
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgeek12 View Post
You can lift your jeep as much as you want and avoid driveline vibes, you just need a SYE and CV style rear driveshaft installed with the lift as well ($400ish for parts, ive been quoted 300-400 for install but it looks easy enough to do)

heres a great video on how to install one-

Thanks scgeek12. Since my Jeep is a Rubicon it already has the SYE. I was hoping to avoid changing out the driveshaft and I can't lift her too high or my wife wouldn't be able to get in (she has problems now).
Aardwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
BeaverJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 739
i've been reading alot about the RC 2.5 lift as well. saving for it now. it looks to be perfect for what you and myself both want. but here's my question.

i know you can get away with the RC 2.5 lift without using a SYE. but let's say i also did a 1' BL. since a BL is a different type of lift, does a SYE not come into play? even when combined with the RC 2.5' for a total of 3.5' of lift?
BeaverJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Jeep Ninja

WF Supporting Member
 
scgeek12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardwolf View Post
Thanks scgeek12. Since my Jeep is a Rubicon it already has the SYE. I was hoping to avoid changing out the driveshaft and I can't lift her too high or my wife wouldn't be able to get in (she has problems now).
o, DUH lol didnt see yours was a rubi sorry, dont have any info on the rough country 2.5 but the skyjacker 2" spacer lift with shocks has some good reviews and looks nice, pretty sure with a 1" Bl you can clear 33"s as well
__________________
"if it aint broke, fix it till' it is!"
my build- http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/scge...ad-117592.html
scgeek12 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 9,965
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverJeeper View Post
i've been reading alot about the RC 2.5 lift as well. saving for it now. it looks to be perfect for what you and myself both want. but here's my question.

i know you can get away with the RC 2.5 lift without using a SYE. but let's say i also did a 1' BL. since a BL is a different type of lift, does a SYE not come into play? even when combined with the RC 2.5' for a total of 3.5' of lift?
Body lift will not come into play for a sye as your just lifting the body. The relationship between the t-case and the axles stays the same.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
I have the ssame setup that you are looking for. I recommend NOT using RC shocks. They are terrible. Get something like OME or Bilstein instead I also got away with not needing a transfer case drop or SYE, it just depends on the jeep.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
BeaverJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
Body lift will not come into play for a sye as your just lifting the body. The relationship between the t-case and the axles stays the same.
perfect, thank you.
BeaverJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Aardwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Norwood, ON
Posts: 37
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertChaos View Post
I have the ssame setup that you are looking for. I recommend NOT using RC shocks. They are terrible. Get something like OME or Bilstein instead I also got away with not needing a transfer case drop or SYE, it just depends on the jeep.
Thanks InvertChaos, I read that somewhere else as well. The aftermarket installer is suggesting a boxed kit, but I would rather spend a few extra bucks now and avoid problems or having to pay for more work later.
Aardwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardwolf

Thanks InvertChaos, I read that somewhere else as well. The aftermarket installer is suggesting a boxed kit, but I would rather spend a few extra bucks now and avoid problems or having to pay for more work later.
Yeah I wish i knew as much as I did now when i bought the "kit". It would have almost been cheaper to put a kit together myself and i would have probably had higher quality parts. If i had to do it over again I would get: 2.5" OME or ProComp coils, OME shocks, 1.25" JKS body lift, RC trackbar relocation bracket, and JKS or similar quick disconnects. Good luck!
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Aardwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Norwood, ON
Posts: 37
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertChaos View Post
Yeah I wish i knew as much as I did now when i bought the "kit". It would have almost been cheaper to put a kit together myself and i would have probably had higher quality parts. If i had to do it over again I would get: 2.5" OME or ProComp coils, OME shocks, 1.25" JKS body lift, RC trackbar relocation bracket, and JKS or similar quick disconnects. Good luck!
That sounds like it would be a good setup, as long as I go with Progressive type springs. I also use my Jeep to haul an enclosed trailer with my Harley in it, which uses my full towing capacity of 2000 pounds for my Rubicon's short (2 door) wheelbase. I am also going to put a winch on the front, and am a bit concerned as others have said the Rough Country springs tend to settle in low after some time. I know I won't get the full 2.5 inch height with any kit, as the measurement is based on a TJ Sport. I think my Rubicon has 1/2 spacers on top of the stock springs to make room for the 31 inch tires. I will probably have to leave these spacers off of any spring kit I install, unless they fit on the aftermarket springs.

Aardwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
body lift kit , lift kit advice , suspension lift

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 JKU Rubi... daily driver... Manual or auto? Pomz623 JK General Discussion Forum 63 11-28-2011 07:17 PM
Tips Request-Making TJ Daily Driver JasonH TJ General Discussion Forum 23 08-06-2011 01:38 AM
Daily Driver... Inked YJ General Discussion Forum 13 08-04-2011 05:16 PM
Off roadin' your daily driver? lovemachine General Jeep Discussion 67 07-16-2011 11:46 PM
M/T tires good for a daily driver??? T-BONE N BIXBY TJ Tech Forum 14 01-28-2010 11:13 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC