Lift Kit Brands - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
jsbrandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 25
Lift Kit Brands

Just wanted some thoughts on a few of the lift kit brands I've been researching. Have any of you had problems or really liked some of these listed below?

Rusty's
DPG
BDS

I know I'm probably going to open a can of worms here but this market is so flooded and everyone claims to have the best product in the industry. I have a few months to save and I don't wanna have regrets! Especially how much coin I'm gonna dump into this project!

jsbrandon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
fabrikate_it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 458
I like Rusty's i have used their 4.5" XJ lift it rocked! don't know DPG but BDS makes great stuff and they own Zone Offroad which is their less expensive kits.

__________________
American born and bred, union 'til I die!
United Association Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 430
PM me if you need a diagram I have All Data Pro access.
fabrikate_it is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
burton160w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Underneath my TJ
Posts: 1,639
Rustys rapes you on shipping. BDS kits are excellent with a great reputation and DPG I have never heard of but I'm checking out the website now

Zone Offroad makes the best lifts.
__________________
It's got a Willy's body, a Chevy engine, Ford axles, GM transmission, and Dodge steering components... it must be a Wrangler.
burton160w is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
ygohome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,428
I've been extremely happy with Rock Krawler suspensions.
__________________

Frank Bullitt (BULLZ)
April 2001 - Sept 2011
ygohome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Instead of looking at the companies and just taking their word for it, you need to understand the difference between quality and crap. There's more to this stuff than "lift kits".....you're modifying your suspension and need to have a good understanding of the components and systems you're changing.

Rustys--total crap. By far the worst joints in the industry, next to no CS, and if you look at some of their products, you'll ask yourself why anyone would buy them.

BDS--Good springs and shocks but other than that, I wouldn't bother. Poly bushings galore and poor geometry practices in their long arm kit tell me they care more about easy packaging than performance.

DPG--not really a brand but more like a website or store. He uses some good stuff--JKS, OME. IMO, you've got a brain in your head and can make your own decisions after some research. You'll probably end up paying less and getting more if you do it right.

Look at Currie for the best components on the market. They're in the business of making the highest quality, longest lasting, most durable stuff you can throw on a rig, period. Savvy Offroad is an excellent vendor of Currie products and also has some nice stuff to boot. Check them out if you want to build a kick-ass rig. If all you're doing is looking for some extra height to fit some larger tires that look good at the show n' shine, don't take my advice.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
SirGeorgeKillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,282
Images: 2
Man, I guess I need to take my Rusty's kit off before the joints fall apart or something

I haven't had any problem my lift from Rusty's.
SirGeorgeKillian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
Man, I guess I need to take my Rusty's kit off before the joints fall apart or something

I haven't had any problem my lift from Rusty's.
That doesn't mean you won't.....

Order up a Currie JJ, pull out your Rustys joint, and compare. Disassemble them and compare, as well. You'll see what I'm referring to if you don't already hear and feel it.

With that said, the only Rustys joints I've had the pleasure of handling were ones on a rig that saw pretty hardcore trail use--lots of rocks, heavy articulation, etc. They were to the point of being past shot. All joints had massive amounts of play in them and the center ball would just flop around--zero preload. The bushing on the other end was even worse. The sleeve and bushing material were completely separated, rendering it completely useless. I was so impressed that I took a quick video of it and posted it on Youtube. That goes for all of the arms....the rig was almost undrivable on the road after less than two years. So, you can either be dramatically immature or realistic. I know the product and I know the difference. You don't. I also know that so far, everyone I've talked to about these joints have had similar experiences.

You're welcome to argue with me to the 4th quarter or accept the fact that I've seen a bit more in this particular department.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

That doesn't mean you won't.....

Order up a Currie JJ, pull out your Rustys joint, and compare. Disassemble them and compare, as well. You'll see what I'm referring to if you don't already hear and feel it.

With that said, the only Rustys joints I've had the pleasure of handling were ones on a rig that saw pretty hardcore trail use--lots of rocks, heavy articulation, etc. They were to the point of being past shot. All joints had massive amounts of play in them and the center ball would just flop around--zero preload. The bushing on the other end was even worse. The sleeve and bushing material were completely separated, rendering it completely useless. I was so impressed that I took a quick video of it and posted it on Youtube. That goes for all of the arms....the rig was almost undrivable on the road after less than two years. So, you can either be dramatically immature or realistic. I know the product and I know the difference. You don't. I also know that so far, everyone I've talked to about these joints have had similar experiences.

You're welcome to argue with me to the 4th quarter or accept the fact that I've seen a bit more in this particular department.
Ive happen to seen these exact joints on the rig he is referring too. He is a local IndyORV guy and he wheels some rough stuff and I can agree with Imped, they were more than shot. The poly bushing were smoked beyong fixable and the flex joint was so loose that they were close to falling apart.

Of course, everyone may have different luck with the same products.
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,386
There are joints out there that are just as good as a currie, you just have to look around
Ibuildembig is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan View Post
Ive happen to seen these exact joints on the rig he is referring too. He is a local IndyORV guy and he wheels some rough stuff and I can agree with Imped, they were more than shot. The poly bushing were smoked beyong fixable and the flex joint was so loose that they were close to falling apart.

Of course, everyone may have different luck with the same products.


I still give him shit about those things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
There are joints out there that are just as good as a currie, you just have to look around
Agreed. I've got a couple Ruffstuff rod ends and would put the quality on the same level. But IMO, you can't beat Currie's joint for a DD/wheeler.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,386
The ones I am running now are 40 bucks for a 2.5" forged piece and that includes the nut and weld in bung.....price versus price, the currie ones are alot higher
Ibuildembig is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,270
Care to disclose the brand? That's cheap as shit.

Will they hold up to 50k+ miles of DD and hard wheeling before needing any attention? If not, I don't really care.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
BDS--Good springs and shocks but other than that, I wouldn't bother. Poly bushings galore and poor geometry practices in their long arm kit tell me they care more about easy packaging than performance.
Same stands for lifts from Zone off-road. Just got done "upgrading" (more like fixing) my Zone 4" lift to what it should have included to begin with. The poly style bushings (they're actually not poly on the Zone stuff; much softer than that but have the same effect) raped my CA mounts. The bushings in the arms themselves were also pretty much ruined, and had I needed to reuse those arms I would have had to buy all new bushings in order to get everything tight. All this was only after a year of use.

Luckily I was just moving the lift parts from one TJ to a "nused" one so I didn't have to worry about fixing the mounts. I've now got CAs from Savvy (among other things) on my "nused" Jeep and the difference is night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Look at Currie for the best components on the market. They're in the business of making the highest quality, longest lasting, most durable stuff you can throw on a rig, period. Savvy Offroad is an excellent vendor of Currie products and also has some nice stuff to boot. Check them out if you want to build a kick-ass rig. If all you're doing is looking for some extra height to fit some larger tires that look good at the show n' shine, don't take my advice.
x2
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
The ones I am running now are 40 bucks for a 2.5" forged piece and that includes the nut and weld in bung.....price versus price, the currie ones are alot higher
Any update on what joint that was?
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,386
Oh yeah sorry.....Harsh Terrain. I have them on my 5K pound truggy with a big block and 42's and have yet to have a failure. They are also alot easier to take apart if you have to. The curries are fine, I ran them about 8-9 years ago when they came out.
Ibuildembig is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Thanks. Is this them?

Home Page*—*Harsh Terrain*—*Extreme 4x4 Parts & Custom Fabrication

If so, where do you get their joints from? I don't see any in the products section. Or is it something you have to call about?
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,386
Yeah I think so, I bought 20 of them about 2-3 years ago for various projects. Id email him and ask...he used to be in Idaho.
Ibuildembig is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #18
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Piper54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post


...

Agreed. I've got a couple Ruffstuff rod ends and would put the quality on the same level. But IMO, you can't beat Currie's joint for a DD/wheeler.
Sounds good. Anybody here have experience with Currie 4" Rock Jock on a 2012 Rubi yet? Several threads mention exhaust issues at full droop for the 2012 driver side, but if I'm just wheeling rough fire/creekside roads with probably nothing over 2' rocks, how likely am I to experience full droop anyway?
__________________
2012 Arctic JK
Piper54 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,221
Might want to ask Gerald over at Savvy; they just got their 2012 a few months ago.
geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17
I think I am installing the currie

cmack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disconnects, and More Baseline 4x4 Outfitters Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 17 04-01-2012 11:11 AM
2 lift questions Briangr TJ General Discussion Forum 0 10-15-2011 11:05 PM
Lift kit list. Decide on a lift from this! 97wrangler-242 TJ General Discussion Forum 27 10-10-2011 08:04 PM
Lift question Beaver5 YJ Tech Forum 9 02-08-2011 11:06 PM
Body lift or no body lift?? savinlives2448 TJ Tech Forum 8 03-23-2009 10:38 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC