Lift Kits For Dummies - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpony03
got the tee shirt on this....first off 32's and 4:10 are a good choice w/auto....esp.on hilly hwys.... if i had it to do over i would do the 4:56S and be ready for 34's second if u do install the budget spring lift 1 3/4 here on a lj...dont not run w/swaybars disconnected if u value the fenders....and third dont forget that longer shocks will be needed...jmho hope it helps...
Or you can do things correctly and install bump stop extensions so you don't hurt your fenders.

rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
A lift done right is a different thing to many people. A 2" bb and 1.25" bl will add tire clearance, but I still see it as a temporary solution for a spring lift for those who have minimal funds.

Rough country, skyjacker, superlift, trailmaster, rancho and a few others are what I would call low line lifts. Quality just isn't there.

Rubicon express and bds are middle of the road. They both have flaws in design.

Savvy, Curry, or building a lift with old man emu spring, shocks and Currie's johnny joint components are best. As far as off the shelf goes.

The things you need for a 3" spring liftare

extended sway bar links, or antirock for the rear

disconnects, or antirock for the front

Bump stop extensions front and rear

Shocks sized for your lift

Springs

A rear track bar bracket, or adjustable rear track bar.

Depending on lift hight, an adjustable front track bar, or plating the axle side track bar mount and redrilling the hole over 3/4" to recenter the axle.

A sye and dc drive shaft with over 2.5" of spring lift, or a 1" motor mount lift with 2.5" down. Or cheap out and do a transfer case drop. You don't really need a sye dc for less then 2.5" and sometimes more, but myself I would just as a upgrade for later mods.

With over 2.5" you need new control arms, or your rear axle will ride forward and front will ride back. This leaves a large gap th the rear side of the rear tires and looks like sh!? I would suggest getting all 8 fully adjustable, with johnny joints on both ends. I would, myself do that for 2.5" or less as well, but not absolutely necessary.

You may, or may not need extended brake lines. The cheap and effective way if getting longer lines is to order stock yj lines from the parts store. They are a direct replacement for the tj line, well, except for being a couple inches longer.

In my opinion a body lift is a must and a stepping stone for other mods later like a tummy tuck, and fuel tank skid.

As stated before ome and bilstein are among the best shocks for a driver. I would add rancho 9000's to the list . There are better, more costly shocks for extreme offroad use, but thats another can of worms.

On a budget the skyjacker hydro shocks are a nice ride.

I'm sure there are things some will disagree with, or things I left out. But hey, it's 6:50 in the morning on a Saturday and I haven't had my coffee yet.

rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
prestonsrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_TJ

Hey, do you have spacers? If not, how the heck did you get them to stick out so far?
Yeah, I have rough country 1.5 spacers. I had some rubbing issues with the general grabbers. However, I do think I'm going to swap them out for 1" spacers. Also, I dont know what state you live in, but here in PA, we have to have full coverage with our flares, if you are out just a bit they don't say anything, but I'm way out, so I have the new TAG 5 1/2" flat fenders coming.
prestonsrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #34
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: louisville
Posts: 5
Lifts

I did install the bump stops that came with the tera lift kit...
redpony03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #35
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: louisiana
Posts: 2
I just bought an 04 wrangler with 6cyl. I want to lift it as big as i can without sacrificing to much power, and the biggest tire size without lugging the engine
kaseyqwe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyqwe
I just bought an 04 wrangler with 6cyl. I want to lift it as big as i can without sacrificing to much power, and the biggest tire size without lugging the engine
Why would you think that bigger is better? Lift has very little to do with loss of power!

Any tire size increase that requires a lift will effect the power more then a desirable amount without regearing if you ask me.

Ask yourself and answer these
Questions . What do you plan on using the jeep for. Do you need to upgrade axles, brakes, steering and gears to run said tire size safely.
rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
Why would you think that bigger is better?
Apparently you've never been to Louisiana.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #38
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: louisiana
Posts: 2
I was thinking 34s with a 4 in lift. I drive it daily, and during hunting season it will see alot of off roading. Would i need change gearing with 34s and if so would that effect hwy mileage
kaseyqwe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,275
Research.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

Apparently you've never been to Louisiana.
Rofl!
rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyqwe
I was thinking 34s with a 4 in lift. I drive it daily, and during hunting season it will see alot of off roading. Would i need change gearing with 34s and if so would that effect hwy mileage
34" is an uncommon size for one. A 33" tire would be easier to source.

Even with 31" tires stock gearing sucks on road, so yes regearing with 33" tires is necessary if you want any power on road.

4" is more then enough room for 33" tires and done correctly will cost you quite a chunk of change.
A cheaper solution is a combination lift with 1" to 1.25" of body lift and a 2" to 2.5" of spring lift.
An ultimate kit from dpg would be a good start on a great lift. However if you want what I would call the best kit type lift, that would be the savvy offroad 3". Add a set of their tuned fox shocks, a savvy tie rod, a jb conversions sye, and a dc drive shaft. That's about as good as it gets off the shelf.

There are cheaper lifts then the two mentioned, but quality also lacks, and you get what you pay for.
rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #42
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: louisville
Posts: 5
First off i dont work r sell products for anyone.......i dont care what lift .....tire.....gear .....u install .....run .....etc......but i do have a 06 lj that is a daily driver......i dont want the price or complexity of larger axels which 35's require. .....even if u r a carefull driver.....thats why the 34's......its as big as u can go and have a shot at not breaking the joints apart even being careful.......i do run arbs both front and rear......and unless i was doing swamp mudding would never go larger on stock axles.......
redpony03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #43
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: louisville
Posts: 5
And nothing is wrong w/33's measure the tires do not go by the size on them.....and back to the lift ......thing .......aa u do body lifts everything in the cab changes.....from the center of gravity to the shifter link.....when doing the frame lift u r taking the bottom counter weight w/u just not the top part.......u do not want to be top heavy .......period.....but here again do what u want.........i dont have 10k to blow putting in the coil over shocks.....and all the fab work that goes with this.....get a good spring lift and good shocks w/ the proper tires and u will be fine
redpony03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #44
Jeeper
 
tanksoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccrbrg View Post
So what I'd like to do is find a stock 04 or newer TJ wrangler and lift it 3 or 4 inches (I'm assuming a suspension lift would be most appropriate?) with 33's with a 15-16K budget and do it all the proper way.
For 33s you can get away with about 3" of lift. 2-2.5" of suspension and 1-1.25" body will suffice and prevent you from having to worry much about drive line angles and steering geometry. You'll also need a 1" motor mount lift.

Quote:
Also any additional parts like an SYE (Still dont know what that is, but ive seen it mentioned in loads of threads), brake lines, and if regearing will be necessary.
If you go with the full 3-4" suspension lift you'll need either a SYE or a transfer case drop to keep the drive line angles reasonable.

Regearing depends on what gears it has to start with, but for 33s you'll likely need to regear unless you get lucky and land one with stock 4.10 gears.

Quote:
I'm looking to install on an automatic - I know that will likely affect the gearing.
It will have an effect, but the ratios are still broadly similar:



tanksoldier is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #45
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpony03
First off i dont work r sell products for anyone.......i dont care what lift .....tire.....gear .....u install .....run .....etc......but i do have a 06 lj that is a daily driver......i dont want the price or complexity of larger axels which 35's require. .....even if u r a carefull driver.....thats why the 34's......its as big as u can go and have a shot at not breaking the joints apart even being careful.......i do run arbs both front and rear......and unless i was doing swamp mudding would never go larger on stock axles.......
You need to do a lot more homework. With a dana 30 you are fine with a 35" tire, yes better axle shafts would be advised with 35" tires, but not an entire axle swap. The rear 35 is something I wouldn't want 33" tires on in, but some have no problems running 35" for years on them with good shafts.

Also a dana 44 uses the same u-joint and small ball joints the 30 does.
rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #46
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpony03
And nothing is wrong w/33's measure the tires do not go by the size on them.....and back to the lift ......thing .......aa u do body lifts everything in the cab changes.....from the center of gravity to the shifter link.....when doing the frame lift u r taking the bottom counter weight w/u just not the top part.......u do not want to be top heavy .......period.....but here again do what u want.........i dont have 10k to blow putting in the coil over shocks.....and all the fab work that goes with this.....get a good spring lift and good shocks w/ the proper tires and u will be fine
Again research. Raising the body only raises the weight of the body weight over the vehicles center line. Raising the suspension raises everything over the vehicles center line. <This means you are more top heavy period. A 1.25" bl with a 2.5" sl will reduce your cog weight vs a 4" suspension.
rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #47
Jeeper
 
Drakea94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16,114
__________________
"You can't let the 1% di*kheads ruin your day, you have to remember the 99% of people who are nice"


"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
General George Patton Jr.
Drakea94 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 362
Images: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonsrubi View Post
... Maybe a cold air intake, or an exhaust to boost performance...those two alone will give you back the power lost to 33" tires, no regearing necessary.
This statement makes me a sad panda
netlohcs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #49
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonsrubi
Maybe a cold air intake, or an exhaust to boost performance...those two alone will give you back the power lost to 33" tires, no regearing necessary.
Hah. Most un-trustworth thing said to date.

Re-gear OP, dont waste your money on a CAI and Exhaust.
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #50
Jeeper
 
ahbrown83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 51
2" zone lift here. Very pleased

ahbrown83 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
White_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonsrubi View Post
Yeah, I have rough country 1.5 spacers. I had some rubbing issues with the general grabbers. However, I do think I'm going to swap them out for 1" spacers. Also, I dont know what state you live in, but here in PA, we have to have full coverage with our flares, if you are out just a bit they don't say anything, but I'm way out, so I have the new TAG 5 1/2" flat fenders coming.
Well how did you get them to stick out so far? Im in MS, i think that stance looks bad to the bone. Just wanna know how to do it.
__________________
Ride with Pride
O|||||||O
White_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
White_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 920
Does anybody know anything about the Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift? Is it hard to put on? Quality? Also, is there a 3.5" suspension lift for TJ's from RC? I can't find any.
__________________
Ride with Pride
O|||||||O
White_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
Rwilliamjacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: York
Posts: 251
Everyone has a different opinion of the lifts and tire sizes. Its kind of funny.
Rwilliamjacob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #54
Jeeper
 
rda616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allegan MI
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_TJ
Does anybody know anything about the Rough Country 3.25" suspension lift? Is it hard to put on? Quality? Also, is there a 3.5" suspension lift for TJ's from RC? I can't find any.

It's a 2.5" spring lift and a .75" budget boost spacer. It isn't hard to install, and no, rc doesn't offer a 3.5" lift. Quality has always been an issue with rough country. Buy you shouldn't expect much for that low of a price. They do have a 3.75" combination lift with 2.5" of spring lift and 1.25" of body lift. It's a better option then the spring and spacer lift in my opinion.
rda616 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
White_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by rda616 View Post
It's a 2.5" spring lift and a .75" budget boost spacer. It isn't hard to install, and no, rc doesn't offer a 3.5" lift. Quality has always been an issue with rough country. Buy you shouldn't expect much for that low of a price. They do have a 3.75" combination lift with 2.5" of spring lift and 1.25" of body lift. It's a better option then the spring and spacer lift in my opinion.
I was also looking at the 3.75" but i realized if it's the same size coil springs, what's the point. Not a fan of BLs myself. I'm having a buddy help me put it on... hopefully.
__________________
Ride with Pride
O|||||||O
White_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
prestonsrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by netlohcs

This statement makes me a sad panda
Hahaha. Wow. Really? Interesting. Just put a vodka exhaust on and a k&n cai and she runs like a banshee. In fact I am greatly happy. Sorry you are so sad...
prestonsrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
prestonsrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonsrubi

Hahaha. Wow. Really? Interesting. Just put a vodka exhaust on and a k&n cai and she runs like a banshee. In fact I am greatly happy. Sorry you are so sad...
Not vodka...borla. sorry. Easy spell on my phone got me again...but anyways...still sad over there?
prestonsrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
prestonsrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJeepMan

Hah. Most un-trustworth thing said to date.

Re-gear OP, dont waste your money on a CAI and Exhaust.
Ah...you guys are too much... Really, most untrustworthy think to date? There are guys in this thread reccomending sye kits with transfer case drops and throwing in a motor mount kit on top of it all....the original question that started this thread was someone wanted to lift a daily driver a couple of inches. Some contributions to the conversation have him spending thousands... A simple lift is great to start. You do not need to regear for 33's. You can, but for a DAILY DRIVER that, as the original post mentions , is going to be taken on minor offroad trips for hunting and such, regearing is not needed. Plain and simple. If he is going to be wheeling hard and beating the crap out of it....well then we will save that for another thread. My jeep is on a rough country 3.25 lift. It runs great. It was a pain to install ill admit, not rough country's fault, I just had some rusty bolt issues. And for you regearing lovers. My general grabbers are 70lbs a piece compare to the average of 50 - 60 lb 33's. Did I feel a power loss? Yeah. Did I take a hit on the ol mpg's yeah. Did I recover the power loss with intake and exhaust. Yes. Am I having any issues what so ever at all from when it was stock? Yes...my wife complains about getting into it now... Happy wife, happy life.
prestonsrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #59
Jeeper
 
prestonsrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_TJ

Well how did you get them to stick out so far? Im in MS, i think that stance looks bad to the bone. Just wanna know how to do it.
I used rough country 1.5" wheel spacers. They give you that wide bad look. Some guys will say they are bad and create excessive wear on surrounding parts but I had them on my old jeep, I had them on my chevy silverado for over 70000 miles and never had any troubles.
prestonsrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #60
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonsrubi View Post
Ah...you guys are too much... Really, most untrustworthy think to date? There are guys in this thread reccomending sye kits with transfer case drops and throwing in a motor mount kit on top of it all....the original question that started this thread was someone wanted to lift a daily driver a couple of inches. Some contributions to the conversation have him spending thousands... A simple lift is great to start. You do not need to regear for 33's. You can, but for a DAILY DRIVER that, as the original post mentions , is going to be taken on minor offroad trips for hunting and such, regearing is not needed. Plain and simple. If he is going to be wheeling hard and beating the crap out of it....well then we will save that for another thread. My jeep is on a rough country 3.25 lift. It runs great. It was a pain to install ill admit, not rough country's fault, I just had some rusty bolt issues. And for you regearing lovers. My general grabbers are 70lbs a piece compare to the average of 50 - 60 lb 33's. Did I feel a power loss? Yeah. Did I take a hit on the ol mpg's yeah. Did I recover the power loss with intake and exhaust. Yes. Am I having any issues what so ever at all from when it was stock? Yes...my wife complains about getting into it now... Happy wife, happy life.
LOL.


__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
lift kit , simple

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC