Lift Q's... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
Lift Q's...

I'm looking to get the Rock Krawler Long Arm kit hopefully in Nov. but the way my finances are looking, it might be farther off. I have no intention of settling for something I don't want.

My question is this this:

Should I but the shocks, springs, and brake lines from the kit and install them to get the lift, then buy everything else at a later time? I figure if I do this, I'm not wasting money because I'll be getting the parts I need anyway, it just wont be the long arm I want just yet.

Just checked the site. The parts would be $460 for springs and shocks. + tires

__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
I really wouldn't suggest putting 5.5" springs on with stock control arms. It will put them as such a shitty angle that you will hate it all by the time you can do the LA. Not too mention the nasty vibes you will get with your rear driveshaft.

__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
I'm going to do a 4in lift not 5.5 and I'm going to run 33s. I'm going to do 4.56 gears but I'm installing those myself, along with the BB if I take that route.
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Ah, then it would be a lot less of a problem. You could probably get away with lowering your skid to deal with the vibes until you can correct them.

When you mention "BB" what exactly are you referring to?
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
I was under the impression that BB is a budget boost, meaning just springs and shocks instead of the entire kit. I could be wrong. If I am would you mind changing the title of the thread to something more appropriate?

And lowering the skid plate with washers is what I had in mind. If that problem occurs.
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Drives by Braille

WF Supporting Member
 
AzTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: For-8-Oh!
Posts: 13,629
Just save your money and do it all at the same time, the right way.
AzTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripbiker13 View Post
I was under the impression that BB is a budget boost, meaning just springs and shocks instead of the entire kit. I could be wrong. If I am would you mind changing the title of the thread to something more appropriate?

And lowering the skid plate with washers is what I had in mind. If that problem occurs.
A budget boost is more commonly referred to as Spring Spacers and Shocks. You are talking about a full blown lift kit.

What do you want me to change the title to?
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTJ View Post
Just save your money and do it all at the same time, the right way.
If I'm getting the same parts regardless, am I really doing it the wrong way? IDK that's why I'm asking.
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
A budget boost is more commonly referred to as Spring Spacers and Shocks. You are talking about a full blown lift kit.

What do you want me to change the title to?
IDK what to change it to. Springs and shocks?
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Changed.

And don't worry about the questions. Believe me we all went thru the exact same thing you are. You want your junk built up so bad that you go crazy thinking of how to do it faster. Selling plasma, knocking off a 7-11, whoring out at Jenny Craig clinics.

You are on the right track though. Set your mind on something and build to that plan. I went from stock with 31's to long arm and 35's. I wheeled my rig for well over a year bone stock. I couldn't wait to build it up. But I also didn't want to go thru 2 or 3 different lifts and an equal amount of different sized tires.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
Drives by Braille

WF Supporting Member
 
AzTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: For-8-Oh!
Posts: 13,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripbiker13 View Post
If I'm getting the same parts regardless, am I really doing it the wrong way? IDK that's why I'm asking.
But instead of buying a KIT your piecing it together over time. The abilities wont be the same. And you'll end up paying more in the end if you do it in steps.

I saved money for 6-7 months before I bought everything. I had the lift kit laying in the living room for over a month before I bought tires.

Just save and do it all at once, you'll be much happier.
AzTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTJ View Post
But instead of buying a KIT your piecing it together over time. The abilities wont be the same. And you'll end up paying more in the end if you do it in steps.

I saved money for 6-7 months before I bought everything. I had the lift kit laying in the living room for over a month before I bought tires.

Just save and do it all at once, you'll be much happier.
I've been there I know that feeling. I was just curious about what you all thought. Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
Selling plasma, knocking off a 7-11, whoring out at Jenny Craig clinics.
I thought about this...
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
Extremely Humble

WF Lifetime Member
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Midland Texas
Posts: 11,549
Images: 12
I happen to know a transport company there in Phoenix. You could just ship it out to Joe and save yourself all the heartache.
__________________

|
|

03 Rubicon | 36" Iroks | Chromo D44's w/Rear Spool | 5.5" RK LA | 5.13s | Armored Head to Toe
Scout is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
ygohome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,428
I went the econo route kindof... 3.5" coils - longer shocks - front adj track bar - rear track bar bracket - 1" body lift - 1" motor mount lift - rear extended sway bar links - no front sway bar - front lower adjustable arms (for correct caster) -
probably the cheapest and most effective way to run 35" tires.

That was about a year ago and wheeling it has been a blast... getting alot of use out of the winch though because of my uber short wheelbase.

I've since been saving for an RK kit ... forgoing the <100" wheelbase longarm kits and going with the pro 8 stretch with coilovers. Its taking me forever to save that much $$$ though (lots involved besides just the kit).
ygohome is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Scout View Post
I happen to know a transport company there in Phoenix. You could just ship it out to Joe and save yourself all the heartache.
WOW! Thank you so much Scout! But I think I'll pass this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygohome View Post
I went the econo route kindof... 3.5" coils - longer shocks - front adj track bar - rear track bar bracket - 1" body lift - 1" motor mount lift - rear extended sway bar links - no front sway bar - front lower adjustable arms (for correct caster) -
probably the cheapest and most effective way to run 35" tires.

That was about a year ago and wheeling it has been a blast... getting alot of use out of the winch though because of my uber short wheelbase.

I've since been saving for an RK kit ... forgoing the <100" wheelbase longarm kits and going with the pro 8 stretch with coilovers. Its taking me forever to save that much $$$ though (lots involved besides just the kit).
So have you just been building up to that? Buying parts here and there?
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #16
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
I will attest that Ben's rig works very well. A lot of it is the driver because Ben is good stuff on the trail. Definitely a guy that can show you a thing or two.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
Drives by Braille

WF Supporting Member
 
AzTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: For-8-Oh!
Posts: 13,629
I'm looking at the GenRight stretch kit 4-link for next winter
AzTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
What all is involved in the stretch? And can you drive that on the road?
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #19
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripbiker13 View Post
What all is involved in the stretch? And can you drive that on the road?
Depends on what your states laws are on fender flares.

Check out the pics of Hackle, Absolute Offroad, Bluviking, Mr. Clifford. All of their rigs are stretched out.

Here is a link to what AZ was talking about - http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=112

And here is a link to what Ben was talking about - http://www.rockkrawler.com/
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #20
Drives by Braille

WF Supporting Member
 
AzTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: For-8-Oh!
Posts: 13,629
of course you can drive it on the road lol

go over to the pirate4x4.com forums and do a little research.
AzTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #21
Extremely Humble

WF Lifetime Member
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Midland Texas
Posts: 11,549
Images: 12
No need to go to Pirate. We can help you here.
__________________

|
|

03 Rubicon | 36" Iroks | Chromo D44's w/Rear Spool | 5.5" RK LA | 5.13s | Armored Head to Toe
Scout is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
Depends on what your states laws are on fender flares.

Check out the pics of Hackle, Absolute Offroad, Bluviking, Mr. Clifford. All of their rigs are stretched out.
IDK what the laws are here regarding that. I've seen pics of their rig, are they DD?

The guy from the shop called me back about my inquiry, he said the $1315.24 w/ Pro Comp MT's included. The cost would be the same to buy it piece by piece or as a whole kit. He recommended a pitman arm (included in price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Scout View Post
No need to go to Pirate. We can help you here.
Start helping. What all is included in a stretch?
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #23
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripbiker13 View Post
IDK what the laws are here regarding that. I've seen pics of their rig, are they DD?

The guy from the shop called me back about my inquiry, he said the $1315.24 w/ Pro Comp MT's included. The cost would be the same to buy it piece by piece or as a whole kit. He recommended a pitman arm (included in price).
No, none of them DD their rigs. They are all trailer queens. However I know for a fact that both Joe's and Hackle's are street legal and registered.

Oh, and check out the links I added a couple posts above.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #24
Drives by Braille

WF Supporting Member
 
AzTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: For-8-Oh!
Posts: 13,629
Stretching the rear out is getting longer control arms to push the axle back farther to increase the wheels base. Usually to 100" or more in a TJ, and usually requires a lot of welding.
AzTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #25
Drives by Braille

WF Supporting Member
 
AzTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: For-8-Oh!
Posts: 13,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
Here is a link to what AZ was talking about - http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=112
Don't forget to add on the EXT package
AzTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
No, none of them DD their rigs. They are all trailer queens. However I know for a fact that both Joe's and Hackle's are street legal and registered.

Oh, and check out the links I added a couple posts above.
I have that mag! Great article, just further reinforced the reason I'm getting the RK kit!
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #27
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Rip,

Here is a pic of Joe's "Stretched" Wheelbase. He's at 104" and also one of YGoHome's rig in action. Like I said it works very well.


__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
That looks awesome! My only thing is my Jeep is an 06 and besides my bike it's all I have. And I'm still paying for it. Thats why I'm wondering about DD quality. I think I'll be best off w/ the RK LA for the next few years...


...Man that looks like so much fun...
__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #29
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripbiker13 View Post
That looks awesome! My only thing is my Jeep is an 06 and besides my bike it's all I have. And I'm still paying for it. Thats why I'm wondering about DD quality. I think I'll be best off w/ the RK LA for the next few years...


...Man that looks like so much fun...
Ben and I both DD our rigs. I just try and build mine to the point where it won't break. None of us that wheel together out here like to break stuff on the trail. Yeah it happens and we can always get our man home, but breaking is no fun and takes up wheelin time. So I don't blame you for wanting to build up strong the first time.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
RIPBiker13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: El Paso
Posts: 3,331
Send a message via Yahoo to RIPBiker13
That's why, cause if I break it I might have to chose between fixing it of making my payment.

__________________
-0lllllll0-


"If I were going to give people one clue as to how to achieve true happiness, it would be this: Find something you would die for, and live for that."
-Unknown

RIPBiker13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JK Lift Reviews tiny terror JK General Discussion Forum 144 11-11-2014 10:24 PM
Help a broke teen lift his 2006 Wrangler fr0st m0nkey TJ General Discussion Forum 78 06-27-2010 05:10 AM
2'' procomp lift/ 1'' bb/ endlinks (IN) MoA Classifieds Archive 0 10-17-2007 09:51 PM
Questions about lift kits and body lifts.... G_Spot TJ General Discussion Forum 25 04-19-2007 08:31 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC