Lights For Flat Towing - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Lights For Flat Towing

I have been using magnetic lights, but I'm looking at upgrading to a more permanent system. Options appear to be:
- Splicing into the Jeep wiring with a diode kit
- Using an 'add-a-bulb' kit that puts an additional bulb in each brake light

My inclination is to use the 'add-a-bulb' option, as it creates a separate system for flat towing that doesn't alter the stock system.

Anyone had any experiences with either of these options? If so, whose kit did you use?

__________________
Glider Jeep
2004 TJ Rubicon
Glider Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 6,952
Images: 11
I don't use either one of those, but it seems to me, that with the add-a-bulb, if you have a brake system that uses the Jeep's brakes when towing (ours does), that your normal brake light would come on along with the add-a-bulb turn signal on the same side. I'm not sure if the turn signal would still be visible over the brightness of the brake light....Just something to think about. The diode set would probably be a lot easier install, the wiring can be picked up right at the driver kick panel (it runs under the driver's door). Personally, I just used a 3 pole, double throw toggle switch for mine...one way is normal, and the other way completely transfers the rear Jeep lights to the motor home lights.

__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 4,409
Images: 1
Here is how I did it....added sockets.

Setting up my TJ to Flat Tow
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is online now   Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
I don't use either one of those, but it seems to me, that with the add-a-bulb, if you have a brake system that uses the Jeep's brakes when towing (ours does), that your normal brake light would come on along with the add-a-bulb turn signal on the same side. I'm not sure if the turn signal would still be visible over the brightness of the brake light....Just something to think about. The diode set would probably be a lot easier install, the wiring can be picked up right at the driver kick panel (it runs under the driver's door). Personally, I just used a 3 pole, double throw toggle switch for mine...one way is normal, and the other way completely transfers the rear Jeep lights to the motor home lights.
Interesting idea on the toggle switch. Where did you mount it?
__________________
Glider Jeep
2004 TJ Rubicon
Glider Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
Here is how I did it....added sockets.

Setting up my TJ to Flat Tow
Thanks for the link. Good to see how it looks on a TJ.
__________________
Glider Jeep
2004 TJ Rubicon
Glider Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 6,952
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider Jeep View Post
Interesting idea on the toggle switch. Where did you mount it?
I mounted it on the flat spot on the console just ahead of the 4wd shift lever (see pic), but if I were to do it again, I would see if it would fit in the plastic trim piece that covers the wires under the driver's door...that would be even easier, and there's really no reason to have it in plain sight. Here's a link where I bought the switch and a wiring diagram. I soldered and heat shrinked all my lug connections, then screwed them to the switch.

Toggle switch, 3 pole dt, 15 amp 125 volt/ AC, on-on, #SW328
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
>>I mounted it on the flat spot on the console just ahead of the 4wd shift lever (see pic), but if I were to do it again, I would see if it would fit in the plastic trim piece that covers the wires under the driver's door...that would be even easier, and there's really no reason to have it in plain sight. Here's a link where I bought the switch and a wiring diagram. I soldered and heat shrinked all my lug connections, then screwed them to the switch.<<

This is a neat solution. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Glider Jeep
2004 TJ Rubicon
Glider Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
All Terrain JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,882
Somehow I knew there would be a wiring diagram forthcoming. I'm still using mag lights that I wired with a permanent harness and 4 flat connectors at each end. Though it works and was relatively simple to install I'm not real happy with it. I have flush mount LEDs which means the add a bulb won't work. Not to mention I use the same towing system as Water Dog and any additional lights would be competing with the Jeep's. So it looks like I am going to shamelessly plagiarize another Water Dog design. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Mama's: '14 JKU Freedom Billet Silver, Trail Rated
Mine: '15 JK Willys Wheeler Billet Silver, Trail Ready!
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain JK is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountains East of Loveland Colorado
Posts: 5
I have used a Blue Ox diode kit on my old CJ8 and was not happy with it, the connections corroded and frequently became unreliable. I opened the tail light housing and installed new sockets (really inexpensive from any car parts dealer) and wired them directly from the plug through a standard 4 wire light wire. Simple, cheap and 100% reliable. I now have a TJ that I tow flat and I wired it the same way and it is easy to do, cheap and works really well.
Easy Snyder is offline   Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 6,952
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ View Post
So it looks like I am going to shamelessly plagiarize another Water Dog design. Thanks for sharing.
No problem, help yourself.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is online now   Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
PA Weldor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 16
Trailer Mate RV Tow Harness wiring kit... is the way to go. I installed one on my TJ and it comes with a complete harness, plug ends with diodes in them, complete instructions. Was a snap to install. No splicing, no extra bulbs, no holes to drill...

Trailer Mate Part # 781123. They make these harnesses for different vehicles. Mine cost $74.95.
PA Weldor is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
my996duc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Weldor View Post
Trailer Mate RV Tow Harness wiring kit... is the way to go. I installed one on my TJ and it comes with a complete harness, plug ends with diodes in them, complete instructions. Was a snap to install. No splicing, no extra bulbs, no holes to drill...

Trailer Mate Part # 781123. They make these harnesses for different vehicles. Mine cost $74.95.
I did something very similar.
I bought mine through E-Trailer. Completely plug in.... stupid simple.
Here : http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiri...id=20051134459

_
__________________
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #0090

My build project : http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rubi...es-328649.html
my996duc1 is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
PA Weldor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 16
I bought mine from etrailer, also.

PA Weldor is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
tow lights

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC