Looking at rock sliders, opinions? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Some Farkin Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 278
Looking at rock sliders, opinions?

I'm looking into getting rock sliders for my jeep. I don't crawl on rocks, but I'd like some protection against sliding into trees. I don't think I need the absolute best, but I want something more substantial than just plates on the side. Anybody have any good options for me in the $200-250 price range?

These are the ones I'm looking at now:
TJ-4121 - Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

Some Farkin Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bloomington. In.
Posts: 144
A little more than you want to spend but Jeeperman is bomb proof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-824281450.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	156202  

Flyby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy View Post
I'm looking into getting rock sliders for my jeep. I don't crawl on rocks, but I'd like some protection against sliding into trees. I don't think I need the absolute best, but I want something more substantial than just plates on the side. Anybody have any good options for me in the $200-250 price range?

These are the ones I'm looking at now:
TJ-4121 - Body Armor Rockcrawler Side Guards for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ - Quadratec
Quick question the ones you found are they conected to the body in any way?
i don't want holes in my body
johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby
A little more than you want to spend but Jeeperman is bomb proof
Which ones are those? And anybody have any input on the Jeepermans vs the rokmen rockers?
Cole 33 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Sccafire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 92 miles from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 753
__________________
Scott
Sccafire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Flyby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bloomington. In.
Posts: 144
Yes you have to drill a few holes but you can lift the jeep from the rockers. Jeeperman is awesome! I would highly recommend them. Use then every day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1415099251.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	156207  
Flyby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,582
Poison Spyder makes a great rocker for both the TJ and the LJ. Would highly recommend them.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Some Farkin Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny102393 View Post
Quick question the ones you found are they conected to the body in any way?
i don't want holes in my body
They say no drilling required, so I assume they mount to the frame where the side steps used to be. Maybe into the holes from the fender flare extensions in the front, there's not much info on them, which is disappointing.

If you're using them as rock sliders they should be mounted to the frame AND tub, but I'm not doing anything that serious with them so I'd rather not drill and just mount to the frame.
Some Farkin Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 278
Ace rock rails.

In that price range, bolts on using existing holes, and supposedly pretty strong.

Ordered mine last week and havent gotten them yet so I cant speak from experience, but ive heard good things.
Sccrbrg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
JDeBlois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wellsboro, Pa
Posts: 1,458
Brooks Custom Concepts. I got 'em, love 'em.

Here's the only picture I have of 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	156220  
__________________
Just a small town country boy who loves Jeeps

Charlotte - 1998 Wrangler Tj 2.5L
1.25' Rough Country BL & 1' JKS MML, 3' Zone Offroad Suspension & Disconnects, Brooks Custom Concepts Rocker Panel Guards, Poison Spyder Custom Trail Stinger, Engo 10K, Cragar 352's, 33x12.5x15 Cooper Discoverer ST's and more.
JDeBlois is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
I put Rokmens on last summer and never treated any of the holes after I drilled. I took them off this year since I was bedlining the tub and didn't want to bedline over the hardware. I was surprised that I had absolutely no rust in any of the holes. I painted the bare metal while I had them off before bedlining but my point is, you shouldn't worry about drilling holes to mount rock sliders. Can you think of any reason why you'd take them off? If you can then by all means get something that doesn't require drilling but they won't be as useful for protection. If you do get some that needs drilling, make damn sure they are quality sliders the first time because the replacements holes may not line up if you have to buy again.

If you want a step, get steps. Rock sliders with tubes make horrible steps on a lifted Jeep because they are too high. Tubes on rock sliders are meant more for being used as pivot points for offroading and to deflect trail obstacles from the tub.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Some Farkin Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccrbrg View Post
Ace rock rails.

In that price range, bolts on using existing holes, and supposedly pretty strong.

Ordered mine last week and havent gotten them yet so I cant speak from experience, but ive heard good things.
Where can I find them? When you get them I'd love to hear how the welds look, if the finish on them is done nicely, how easy the install is, etc.
Some Farkin Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
thejafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 144
Send a message via AIM to thejafe
I just picked up a set from Rokmen :

__________________
Rubicon Express 3.5" SF Kit / American Racing Baja's / 33x12.50 BFG MT KM2's
thejafe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejafe View Post
I just picked up a set from Rokmen :

Damn, you got all hooked up didn't you? The UPS guys had an office bet on what the hell they were when they dropped them off with my wife.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Some Farkin Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
my point is, you shouldn't worry about drilling holes to mount rock sliders. Can you think of any reason why you'd take them off? If you can then by all means get something that doesn't require drilling but they won't be as useful for protection. If you do get some that needs drilling, make damn sure they are quality sliders the first time because the replacements holes may not line up if you have to buy again.
I'm not completely opposed to drilling, I just don't need the extra protection since I don't crawl on rocks. I want them to protect against sliding into trees, dirt, and other softer obstacles. I know I'll be reluctant to drill that first hole, but maybe I should go ahead and get used to it if I ever want to install hood vents.
Some Farkin Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy View Post
I'm not completely opposed to drilling, I just don't need the extra protection since I don't crawl on rocks. I want them to protect against sliding into trees, dirt, and other softer obstacles. I know I'll be reluctant to drill that first hole, but maybe I should go ahead and get used to it if I ever want to install hood vents.
The first hole is always the scariest. Then it gets to be fun.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Some Farkin Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ View Post
The first hole is always the scariest. Then it gets to be fun.
That's what I'm afraid of! As of now, everything I've done can be reversed. I'm the same way with guns, always keeping the original parts, as if I'm ever going to downgrade it. lol
Some Farkin Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #18
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Nah,. you can reverse hole drilling with a few welds and paint.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
johnny102393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy View Post
That's what I'm afraid of! As of now, everything I've done can be reversed. I'm the same way with guns, always keeping the original parts, as if I'm ever going to downgrade it. lol
same with me i hate drilling holes in my jeep especially to the tub thats why i want sliders that are bolt on im not doing anything extreme to need somthing that strong
johnny102393 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Brad48178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeblois
brooks custom concepts. I got 'em, love 'em.

Here's the only picture i have of 'em.
x2
Brad48178 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Farkin Guy

Where can I find them? When you get them I'd love to hear how the welds look, if the finish on them is done nicely, how easy the install is, etc.
You can probably get them a number of places. I found them on the ace engineering site and at krawl offroad. I believe they were the same price at both, however I got them from krawl offroad because shipping was about 40 dollars cheaper.

lots and lots of reviews of them on this forum and google
Sccrbrg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 27
Smittybilts...cheap yet very effective. Remember they are going to get beat up and abused so don't break the bank on parts that are supposed to get torn up. Got mine for 250 to my door. Easy to put on and still look new. Every time they get scratched I rattle can em.
Whitetj05 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Border Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 602
Here's an older thread. Some of the pictures no longer work: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-r...est-39644.html
Border Dave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Kevinm2467's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: portsmouth, Va
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeBlois
Brooks Custom Concepts. I got 'em, love 'em.

Here's the only picture I have of 'em.
X2. I have the same set and love them.
Kevinm2467 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
rbkelley89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 155
id go with something like i have that will actually save your jeeps rocker from being damaged from rocks Smittybilt Part 76641 - SRC Rocker Guard
rbkelley89 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
aaron 06tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ooltewah
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89 View Post
id go with something like i have that will actually save your jeeps rocker from being damaged from rocks Smittybilt Part 76641 - SRC Rocker Guard
i have these and love them i bought them locally from Toms 4x4 for 215 plus tax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-07_20-30-44_816.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	156323  
aaron 06tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #27
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89 View Post
id go with something like i have that will actually save your jeeps rocker from being damaged from rocks Smittybilt Part 76641 - SRC Rocker Guard
Let me know how they work out for you when you come down on a rock.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
99er's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 271
Images: 3
Here's what I installed last week. Happy with them and cost about $200 shipped.
97-06 Jeep TJ Wrangler Rock Crawler Rocker Guard Sliders +Body Guard Bar | eBay
__________________
99 Sahara - 5 speed
12,500 lb Winch, synthetic winch line, Spyder Front Bumper, Aircraft Lights
Rancho 2.5" Suspension Lift, 1" body lift.
285/75/16 Guard Dogs, Level 8 Alloy Wheels
4.56 Gears, Dana 44 Rear, Spartan Locker in Front, Powertrax No-Slip locker in the rear
99er is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK00TJ
Let me know how they work out for you when you come down on a rock.
I have set mine down on plenty of rocks and can say they have held up great. You keep spending your money on expensive parts and I'll keep saving money and putting it into more parts. We should compare our jeeps and see where they sit. I promise mine is far more hooked up
Whitetj05 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #30
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetj05 View Post
I have set mine down on plenty of rocks and can say they have held up great. You keep spending your money on expensive parts and I'll keep saving money and putting it into more parts. We should compare our jeeps and see where they sit. I promise mine is far more hooked up
I fail to see how that design using Chinese manufacturing with the cheapest possible tubing and bad welds is going to hold up to abuse against any rocks I see. If they work for you, great. The tube design in itself is bad enough at being a rock magnet to get hung up on rocks let alone not folding up into the tub. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you and your "hooked up" Jeep.

Back to OP. Have you thought about looking for used Rubicon rocker covers? A lot of them may be looking into replacing what they have and selling the old ones off on eBay or CL.

__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
rock sliders , rocker panel

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC