Looking For Locker - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 138
Question Looking For Locker

I am looking into buying a front locker for the Jeep. I'm getting a front locker before the rear because i can only afford one. Anyone have any recommendations? I run 33's and have a i4. I don't know much about them i was looking into getting the Electronically activated instead of the pneumatic, that a good choice? Also should i get a front one before the rear?

Anyone have any suggestions. I don't know what gears i should run with them so anything helps.

Thanks

__________________
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...IMG00236-1.jpg

H2 Recovery Team
Pierce07 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 138
Also looking for a recomended tire carrier. It would hold 33's and would like it to be able to mount a high lift to it and anything else i might need. I want something that is streamlined and not really bulky.

__________________
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...IMG00236-1.jpg

H2 Recovery Team
Pierce07 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Vector6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,025
I like my Aussie up front....
__________________
USN 1985-1993
Vector6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector6 View Post
I like my Aussie up front....
So when stuck they automatically lock up? Ever have any problems with them locking up on the hwy or normal driving?

How do the know when to lock up?
__________________
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...IMG00236-1.jpg

H2 Recovery Team
Pierce07 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Hacks off Parts while Lit
 
whitebuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sandhills of South Texas
Posts: 2,290
when theres power applied, they lock up. i have an aussie in the rear and am happy with it.
__________________
'90 YJ, ford 8.8, SOA, lincoln front, aussie rear, 4.88s, swampers.
whitebuffalo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,299
Images: 2
Automatic lockers like the Aussie, Lockrite, No-Slip, EZ-Locker, and Detroit Locker are all locked up normally. When you are driving around normally, they are locked... to be locked up is their normal mode. They unlock automatically when you're turning left or right so the outside wheel on that axle can rotate faster as is needed during a turn. So they don't lock up when needed, they are already locked... they unlock when needed.

When installed in the front axle, the No-Slip (made by Powertrax) lunchbox locker is virtually undetectable when you're in 2wd. I've had one in the front of my TJ for 4-5 years and I literally can't tell when my Warn manual hubs are locked or unlocked. I have a Detroit Locker in the rear which would also be a good choice for the front but it's far more expensive to buy and install.

The Aussie and Lockright are also very good but you can certainly tell that they are there by their clicking even when you're in 2wd. Either would still be a good choice and cost around $100 less than the No-Slip does. These are also lunchbox lockers, which means they are small enough to fit into the carrier inside the differential.

Don't even consider the EZ-Locker, it is cranky and the least well behaved automatic "lunchbox" locker out there.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Automatic lockers like the Aussie, Lockrite, No-Slip, EZ-Locker, and Detroit Locker are all locked up normally. When you are driving around normally, they are locked... to be locked up is their normal mode. They unlock automatically when you're turning left or right so the outside wheel on that axle can rotate faster as is needed during a turn. So they don't lock up when needed, they are already locked... they unlock when needed.

When installed in the front axle, the No-Slip (made by Powertrax) lunchbox locker is virtually undetectable when you're in 2wd. I've had one in the front of my TJ for 4-5 years and I literally can't tell when my Warn manual hubs are locked or unlocked. I have a Detroit Locker in the rear which would also be a good choice for the front but it's far more expensive to buy and install.

The Aussie and Lockright are also very good but you can certainly tell that they are there by their clicking even when you're in 2wd. Either would still be a good choice and cost around $100 less than the No-Slip does. These are also lunchbox lockers, which means they are small enough to fit into the carrier inside the differential.

Don't even consider the EZ-Locker, it is cranky and the least well behaved automatic "lunchbox" locker out there.
Thank You
__________________
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...IMG00236-1.jpg

H2 Recovery Team
Pierce07 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 38
I thought you had to put in manual hubs if adding a locker to the front axle. At least that is what the parts mags lead me to believe.
OR jeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Wrecktrician
 
4point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Sierra
Posts: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR jeeper View Post
I thought you had to put in manual hubs if adding a locker to the front axle. At least that is what the parts mags lead me to believe.
You don't have to, but if you got the money that would be the way to go.
__________________
Just getting to work is an adventure.
4point is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Vector6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4point View Post
You don't have to, but if you got the money that would be the way to go.
well if you went that route... just add a spool...
__________________
USN 1985-1993
Vector6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
Wrecktrician
 
4point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Sierra
Posts: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector6 View Post
well if you went that route... just add a spool...
__________________
Just getting to work is an adventure.
4point is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
debruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Needham Ma, Rangeley ME in the summer
Posts: 5,578
Send a message via AIM to debruins
if you get one for the rear, you'll want to get a manual one or a detroit slip one because the rear gets power all the time
debruins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #13
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,299
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4point View Post
You don't have to, but if you got the money that would be the way to go.
Unlike some vehicles that would require them to install a front locker, there is zero need for manual hubs when adding a front locker to a TJ. The TJ's front driveshaft is not driven by the transfer case in 2wd so the locker is not locked up hard enough in 2wd to be noticeable. This is different from many other 4x4 trucks and is why catalogs etc. commonly recommend manual hubs when installing a front locker.

In fact, I ran my front locker for several years before adding manual hubs. I only added manual hubs from Warn because I snapped a front axleshaft on Sledgehammer so beefier alloy axleshafts from Warn were installed which includes the manual hub kit.

I really only need to unlock my hubs when I'm doing a really tight twisty trail and don't need or want the front locker in operation. On the street when I'm in 2wd, I can't tell if my hubs are locked or not, I have to physically get out and look to know for sure if they're locked.

The bottom line is that for a TJ, you do not need manual hubs when installing a front automatic locker. Manual hubs are nice for other reasons but they're not needed to counteract negative front locker traits because there simply aren't any when you're in 2wd.
__________________
Remember that having a different opinion doesn't also require one to be a jerk when expressing it.

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
Hacks off Parts while Lit
 
whitebuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sandhills of South Texas
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by debruins View Post
if you get one for the rear, you'll want to get a manual one or a detroit slip one because the rear gets power all the time
i disagree. u can learn to drive with it. as long as you arent hammering it in the turns, theres no issues.
__________________
'90 YJ, ford 8.8, SOA, lincoln front, aussie rear, 4.88s, swampers.
whitebuffalo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southaven, MS
Posts: 185
Send a message via ICQ to booger Send a message via AIM to booger
i've got an Aussie in the front of my TJ and LOVE it! it's pretty much transparent in 2wd, but is there when you need it in 4wd.

if you have 3.07 gears, you can install it with the carrier in the diff. but if you have 3.73s, you'll have to remove the carrier to install it.

booger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC