Lost my clutch on my 1999 TJ, what should I expect from the mechanic? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Lost my clutch on my 1999 TJ, what should I expect from the mechanic?

So yesterday, I was driving my 1999 TJ when it started backfiring on me. It only happened in low gears at low RPMs, my exhaust would sputter and I could feel my engine hesitate. In any case, I was driving home when I stopped at a red light, and when the light turned green, I shifted into first gear, and when I took my foot off the clutch, the engine would just rev and my car wouldn't move.

So this happened last night, and most of the mechanics near me are closed on Sundays, but in any case, I wanted to get some advice from you guys first. It sounds like I just lost my clutch, but this is the first time that this has happened to me, so I want to see if I could get some recommendations from you guys about what I should expect.

So, what should I do and know before I walk into the garage?
PoBoy321 is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
svtyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: el cajon,ca
Posts: 102
well i just recently got quotes for my 2000 tj 6cyl of 275-450 +parts. im in california so depending on where your at the labor might be less. i bought a clutch kit from oreily autoparts for 141.00 after taxes. it comes complete pilot bushing throwout flexplate and disc. so i would say nomore than 650 max here in california.forgot it also includeds the alignment tool

__________________
get your s@#t dirty
svtyone is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtyone View Post
well i just recently got quotes for my 2000 tj 6cyl of 275-450 +parts. im in california so depending on where your at the labor might be less. i bought a clutch kit from oreily autoparts for 141.00 after taxes. it comes complete pilot bushing throwout flexplate and disc. so i would say nomore than 650 max here in california.
Oh, that's a relief. When the sputtering started, I did a little research and it sounded like I needed a new upstream O2 sensor, so I was hoping to do the fix myself. Then the clutch went out and I realized that it was going to be a much bigger fix than I'm ready for.

Like I said, this is the first time I've lost my clutch, so is the sputtering and hesitation common when this happens?
PoBoy321 is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
svtyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: el cajon,ca
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoBoy321 View Post
I wanted to get some advice from you guys first. It sounds like I just lost my clutch, but this is the first time that this has happened to me, so I want to see if I could get some recommendations from you guys about what I should expect.

So, what should I do and know before I walk into the garage?

i does sound like the clutch. but check your fluid in the mastercylinder could have an air leak in the hydroline to the slave cylinder. but i would say its your clutch
__________________
get your s@#t dirty
svtyone is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
svtyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: el cajon,ca
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoBoy321 View Post
Oh, that's a relief. When the sputtering started, I did a little research and it sounded like I needed a new upstream O2 sensor, so I was hoping to do the fix myself. Then the clutch went out and I realized that it was going to be a much bigger fix than I'm ready for.

Like I said, this is the first time I've lost my clutch, so is the sputtering and hesitation common when this happens?

no the sputtering and hestitation is something different.sounds like ignition. but if it is running and you have it in first and let the clutch out iand it doesnt move. its only a few options. either clutch is worn or you shifter is loose and not engaging into gear.oh check u joints too
__________________
get your s@#t dirty
svtyone is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
bc3_Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NE corner of Iowa
Posts: 1,738
Could ALSO have been T/C in Neutral by accident..........and unrelated to sputtering for sure.....

__________________
"For Gawd's sake, put a RELAY in there or you could burn the whole damn Jeep to the ground" ...this quote brought to you by people who do not understand the law.....Kirchoff's, Ohm's, or Faraday's.
Violation of KISS shall always ring false in TRUE engineering. - ME___
Had 75CJ5, 89YJ, 93YJ. Have 82CJ7 & 95YJ____Not one burnt yet due to lack of relays.
bc3_Jeep is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
1999 , backfire , clutch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC