loud muffler - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Gwjvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Victorville
Posts: 412
loud muffler

I want a loud loud (LOUD) good sounding muffler? which one?

__________________
Gwjvw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
.mll.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 74
Straight 3" pipe lol don't even bother with the cat converter

__________________
98 TJ; 4 Banger
.mll. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Gwjvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Victorville
Posts: 412
The cat i dont want to touch! Just the muff. :-)
__________________
Gwjvw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
.mll.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 74
My cousin has a dual Gibson exhaust on his... Did some cutting and welding, but it looks really nice and is loud. Especially when you put your foot down This isn't a very good pic, but it's mean looking with that big exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3336309968.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	764337  
__________________
98 TJ; 4 Banger
.mll. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Gwjvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Victorville
Posts: 412
hummmm straight pipe huh Wonder how that would sound on my 4.0!
__________________
Gwjvw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwjvw View Post
I want a loud loud (LOUD) good sounding muffler? which one?
Any one connected to a V8.
Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Rockford IL area
Posts: 19
my banks sounds nice!
rapidcast is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Any one connected to a V8.
I'd have to agree.
SurfKaster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
quantumjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Dena, Maryland (horrible state) I know my wife refuses to move
Posts: 68
Images: 8
Just had a 40 series Flow master slapped on mine with a race spec cat.. talk about sounding nasty... I was going to put a Banks on but the guy at the shop said if I wanted to sound and flow, he suggested the Flow master over the Banks Power series. I'm glad I did because IMO Flow masters have a much meaner sound than the Banks. Plus the F/M and racing cat pipped from the header back was about $40 Cheaper than the Power series they carry for my 02 TJ, I mean the Banks is way better than the stock crap but and looks all shiny and nice but lets face it I'm not polishing SS tips every time I wash my Jeep.
quantumjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California/Montana
Posts: 3,164
I've got a magnaflow glasspack sitting in my garage waiting for a few more parts to go in. The $30 sale tag at Pep Boys caught my eye one day and I figured, "why not!"
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
If you want a constant loud I would say flowmaster 40 is hard to beat, but be ready for it to ALWAYS be loud. I like this but pretty much every car I have ever put it on it's pretty loud at idle even (I used to have to turn my car off to order food at fastfood places so they could hear me in a nova with an L6).
If you want something that's more subtle at idle but has a good growl when you're on the throttle and doesn't tend to be too loud at cruise I've had good experience with dynomax mufflers specially in catback applications on smaller motors. Don't know if you have an l4 or l6 but it would be a good choice for both.
All glasspacks tend to just be loud everywhere but you get slightly less of that kind of performance lopey sound and more just noise.

None of these are bad it's all about what you want in your car. There are a ton of other brands out there and a lot of good ones, those are just 2 I have had good results with, oh and IF you do choose to go Flowmaster-40 make sure you actually get a true Flowmaster branded one there are a lot of knock offs of that particular muffler. Good luck let us know what you get
hendij is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
quantumjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Dena, Maryland (horrible state) I know my wife refuses to move
Posts: 68
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendij View Post
If you want a constant loud I would say flowmaster 40 is hard to beat, but be ready for it to ALWAYS be loud. I like this but pretty much every car I have ever put it on it's pretty loud at idle even (I used to have to turn my car off to order food at fastfood places so they could hear me in a nova with an L6).
If you want something that's more subtle at idle but has a good growl when you're on the throttle and doesn't tend to be too loud at cruise I've had good experience with dynomax mufflers specially in catback applications on smaller motors. Don't know if you have an l4 or l6 but it would be a good choice for both.
All glasspacks tend to just be loud everywhere but you get slightly less of that kind of performance lopey sound and more just noise.

None of these are bad it's all about what you want in your car. There are a ton of other brands out there and a lot of good ones, those are just 2 I have had good results with, oh and IF you do choose to go Flowmaster-40 make sure you actually get a true Flowmaster branded one there are a lot of knock offs of that particular muffler. Good luck let us know what you get
I second that on the knock off brands. On my old YJ I went through MagnaFlow and some crap Midas sells called a Black Talon or Raven or what ever and the MagnaFlow was the closest to the FlowMaster so I kept it on. I have the 4.0 and I was shocked even the guy at the shop was shocked at how down right deep it sounded. I got this TJ about a month ago its got 100k on the clock but the CarMax I picked it up at said the owner had put a Mopar Purple cam kit in it I never knew Mopar made any Cam kits for the 242 I only though Comp Cams and Melling were the only two in the game. It hits a lick at idle. It had some kinda after market exhaust on it, I suspect it was some thing from Midas cause it had a little sing to it before I changed it. But what ever he did to the motor before it has a nasty lick at idle with the FlowMaster, It sounds really close to a small block V8 in the low RPM range and of course it's true colors come out at around 3k in the throttle, but It sounds really pleasing at 1.3-1.4 in 4th and 5th on road cruising. What ever was on it had that dead 4.0 give away drone at highway speed. This thing growls along and keeps the drone under wraps until you wind it up past 3k, I guess what ever engine mods the original owner applied helped with that. So Im happy my 2 year old son loves it he trys to mimic the sound after he gets out which makes me smile from with in because this will be his one day after I pass on.
__________________
Try a Screaming Gorilla with your old lady tonight!
quantumjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Nlburden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 443
I got a thrush glasspack on mine, i love it. Sounds rumbly, i ran no muffler for a lil while and just the cats, this is a lil quieter and more tone.
__________________
Always the one with the most carnage, most stuck
Nlburden is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
quantumjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Dena, Maryland (horrible state) I know my wife refuses to move
Posts: 68
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlburden View Post
I got a thrush glasspack on mine, i love it. Sounds rumbly, i ran no muffler for a lil while and just the cats, this is a lil quieter and more tone.
One of my buddies has the Thrush on I really like his as well. I was torn between a Thrush or Cherry Bomb glass pack or the Banks Power system but the Banks was just to mellow, When the shop guy told me he could do a 40 series for $40 bucks cheaper than the Banks. The Thrust without a cat and a header has a nasty little song as well.
quantumjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bluegrass
Posts: 93
Just took a flowmaster hushpower off my TJ, while it was small and easy to fit during my stretch/4link, I hated it, LOUD. So I guess that's a recommendation for you. Show up with a cold pack and we'll tip a few and you can have the dang thing lol.
__________________
98 TJ, stretched, dented and willing.
Rokr8d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
quantumjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Dena, Maryland (horrible state) I know my wife refuses to move
Posts: 68
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokr8d View Post
Just took a flowmaster hushpower off my TJ, while it was small and easy to fit during my stretch/4link, I hated it, LOUD. So I guess that's a recommendation for you. Show up with a cold pack and we'll tip a few and you can have the dang thing lol.
Did You exit out the rear? Or dump it under the Jeep?
Im all the way out but Im thinking about cutting it and Mounting the muffler on the right side like a ammo can and running it up along the hood line and exit out next to the Front right side marker like the old WWII deuce deuce. I honestly cant get it loud enough. If I had a V8 I'd be running 10 series straight off the headers and dumping straight down
quantumjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 7,876
Old school flowmaster 40 series two chamber with about 18" of turn down before the rear axle. Very loud, but I like it. Doesnt matter what you do to an I6 its never gonna sound like a small block with headers and dual flowmasters.
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bluegrass
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumjeep View Post
Did You exit out the rear? Or dump it under the Jeep?
Im all the way out but Im thinking about cutting it and Mounting the muffler on the right side like a ammo can and running it up along the hood line and exit out next to the Front right side marker like the old WWII deuce deuce. I honestly cant get it loud enough. If I had a V8 I'd be running 10 series straight off the headers and dumping straight down
Due to my 4 link I dumped it. Genright gas tank and out boarded coilovers so no room route out back. Tried to angle it off to the side a bit and remove some of the ground repercussion but it was just loud. A lot of womp womp that got real old after a few hours in the woods.
__________________
98 TJ, stretched, dented and willing.
Rokr8d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
quantumjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Dena, Maryland (horrible state) I know my wife refuses to move
Posts: 68
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post
Old school flowmaster 40 series two chamber with about 18" of turn down before the rear axle. Very loud, but I like it. Doesnt matter what you do to an I6 its never gonna sound like a small block with headers and dual flowmasters.
Roger that! There is no sound like a V8 but until I decide to throw a 427 in mine the ole 242 will do
__________________
Try a Screaming Gorilla with your old lady tonight!
quantumjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwjvw View Post
I want a loud loud (LOUD) good sounding muffler? which one?
High flow cat and super 10 muffler, sounds amazing
__________________
Arachno Camo
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Gwjvw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Victorville
Posts: 412
Well they talked me into a flowmaster super 44!! Its ok!!! Kinda wish i got the super 10! Next time!! 158 installed!
__________________
Gwjvw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
quantumjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Dena, Maryland (horrible state) I know my wife refuses to move
Posts: 68
Images: 8
You gotta get some full racing cats to make that Flowmaster sing to ya when you down shift.

__________________
Try a Screaming Gorilla with your old lady tonight!
quantumjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC