Make your own fender flares? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Make your own fender flares?

Hey guys, I was thinking about making fender flares out of some house gutters? Or something like this has anyone done this? Or something like this? Pictures appreciated!

Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,517
What for? Looks like youve already got flares

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Yeah but the ones I have rub like hell on my tires like even when I turn in my drive way.. They suck
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
BulldawgJeepin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 99
Are you thinking of using the actual gutter trough itself? Only problem I would see is that gutter coil (what's used to form gutters) is usually a very light gauge aluminum, around 24-26# which makes it very easy to dent and even harder to reshape. If you're looking for something cheap with a tear-away effect it might work. Also, the aluminum will "tiger stripe" over time as rain and dirt roll off of it. You can see this on most gutters over a year old-looks just like it sounds. If you're gonna try it, look into using the Galvalume metal. It's got a galvanized acrylic coating and is usually a little heavier. Post some pics if you do it, I'd be interested to see how it comes out.
__________________
GO DAWGS!
BulldawgJeepin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,517
You could try trimmin your current flares. Pretty popular among the jeep crowd, and doesnt look too bad.

At least with what I am envisioning with gutter fenders wouldnt gain you any more clearance over the stock ones.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,433
Images: 1
I have seen some people use Tar Paper to be street legal to get to their wheelin' spot.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
I have seen some people use Tar Paper to be street legal to get to their wheelin' spot.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table
You could try trimmin your current flares. Pretty popular among the jeep crowd, and doesnt look too bad.

At least with what I am envisioning with gutter fenders wouldnt gain you any more clearance over the stock ones.
I bought smittybilt bushwacker looking ones and they angle down.alot I had the stock ones but they wouldn't pass safety,

And idk I was just pondering gutters idk what id use.. Ughh I just can't bring myself to.buying new ones lol
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldawgJeepin
Are you thinking of using the actual gutter trough itself? Only problem I would see is that gutter coil (what's used to form gutters) is usually a very light gauge aluminum, around 24-26# which makes it very easy to dent and even harder to reshape. If you're looking for something cheap with a tear-away effect it might work. Also, the aluminum will "tiger stripe" over time as rain and dirt roll off of it. You can see this on most gutters over a year old-looks just like it sounds. If you're gonna try it, look into using the Galvalume metal. It's got a galvanized acrylic coating and is usually a little heavier. Post some pics if you do it, I'd be interested to see how it comes out.
Yeah that could work! Maybe ill try that
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhcohbee View Post
I bought smittybilt bushwacker looking ones and they angle down.alot I had the stock ones but they wouldn't pass safety,

And idk I was just pondering gutters idk what id use.. Ughh I just can't bring myself to.buying new ones lol
Gotcha...couldnt tell that they werent your stock ones from your avatar.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table

Gotcha...couldnt tell that they werent your stock ones from your avatar.
Yeah I gotcha.. Hmm.. so you guys think the gutters will just get dented and wrecked? Cause I was going to bed line them and maybe run some steel strips underneath them for extra support I mean im not looking for amazing looks just something that dosnt rub all the time on the trail..
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Anyone?
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2012, 03:35 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
blue6tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhcohbee View Post
Hey guys, I was thinking about making fender flares out of some house gutters? Or something like this has anyone done this? Or something like this? Pictures appreciated!
I've heard of being cheap, but really, house gutters? I think that WF has just hit a new bottom... Sorry!
__________________
[B]2006 Jeep Unlimited RE Express 4 1/2" Lift, JKS 1.25" BL, 37x14.50R15, Toyo Open Country Tires, Tom Woods Drive Shafts, SYE Kit, D30/D44 4.88 Gears, Warn 8000 lb Winch, Cobra CB, Viair On-Board Air, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, and Lots of light
blue6tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue6tj

I've heard of being cheap, but really, house gutters? I think that WF has just hit a new bottom... Sorry!
Lol.. struggling college student..
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
So I ended up making them out of lawn edging turned out pretty good for 20 bucks!
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Dirty Mitten Mudders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcohbee
so i ended up making them out of lawn edging turned out pretty good for 20 bucks!
pics????
Dirty Mitten Mudders is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
harleydragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: south georgia
Posts: 3,909
you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t..
harleydragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydragon
you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t..
But you can make chicken shit out of chicken salad..
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120831_091000.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	155729   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120831_091154.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	155731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120831_091208.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	155732  
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Kevinm2467's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: portsmouth, Va
Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhcohbee
Here they are
Very creative
Kevinm2467 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Kevinm2467's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: portsmouth, Va
Posts: 862
I wonder how they will hold up in the sun? They may get a little flimsy.
Kevinm2467 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinm2467

Very creative
Thanks dude!
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinm2467
I wonder how they will hold up in the sun? They may get a little flimsy.
They do get soft but they stay straight and do there job, I like them cause you can flex into them and they bend with the tire un like my smittybilt ones for 250$ that broke lol
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Dirty Mitten Mudders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhcohbee
Here they are

What kind of front bumper is that???? I want one....
Dirty Mitten Mudders is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mitten Mudders

What kind of front bumper is that???? I want one....
Paramount front singer bumper http://www.paramountrestyling.com/p/s.aspx?id=8581
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
BigGreenMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhcohbee
Here they are
Dude I don't care what anyone says. Those look badass. Can you get a close up of how they are bolted on and bent?
BigGreenMachine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
kyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 93
I looked at that bumper but don't see a price. I like the looks of it. What did it run?
kyjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine

Dude I don't care what anyone says. Those look badass. Can you get a close up of how they are bolted on and bent?
Al I did was get little 90 degree angle mounts for like sheleves bolt then all on the exsisting.fender.flare holes stabbed a screw.driver through got some bolts and.just did.one at a time and they bend real easy. Total cost.about.25$
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjeep
I looked at that bumper but don't see a price. I like the looks of it. What did it run?
I think I only paid.200 bucks for it!
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Lineman827's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South jersey
Posts: 314
12" tires? I actually like the way they came out!! Lookin good w/o Breakin the bank

Lineman827 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC