Making your TJ more "Manly" - Page 65 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #1921
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate



Here's the deal.
They DO look pretty and it's YOUR Jeep, you should do whatever you want to make it your own.

Personally, I wouldn't buy them but fifteen/twenty years ago I might have because I didn't know any better.

Now that I know better, I might have to tease you a bit but it's never intended as anything mean spirited.

What the heck, you may as well buy them. Once you get it all figured out, you'll be buying something else. It's good for the economy.
Had my mom in the jeep today and passed a chromed out tj with chrome tube bumpers and mom goes that's cute. I said yep. Cute. That's about all it is. Never been anywhere offroad.

__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #1922
Trail Mom

WF Supporting Member
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Scotts Hill, TN
Posts: 2,864
Well, being a "girl" and driving a Jeep I figured that there must be a better description for it than "girly". All the gals I run with have nice, rugged looking rigs. It's the GUYS that make them look "girly". They have a lot of fun doing silly things to them. One guy painted his pink with white flares and calls it the Barbie Jeep. He wheels the 'schmidt' out of it too. Another painted all of the accents purple and put a big purple decal on it.

I figure that if you're having fun with it and it makes you happy, than more power to ya. It's like anything else, you decorate it to suit your own tastes. So long as it's functional to hell with what everyone else thinks. My thing is that I swap out my hood decals regularly. It's a small thing, inexpensive and infinitely customizable.

The primary reasons I have no respect for tube bumpers and steps are:
1) tube bumpers have no recovery points and no place to mount a winch. This makes you a liability on the trails. Some outfits won't let you run with them if you don't have (at the minimum) recovery points.
2) tube steps will not protect your tub when you lean it on something.

__________________
06 Rubi with some sort of double ended, chrome knobbed, cross threaded, infinitely adjustable, frequently breakable, worn out flammywhammers zip tied onto it.
It used to be a jeep thing... til that sh!t broke!
Kate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #1923
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
Well, being a "girl" and driving a Jeep I figured that there must be a better description for it than "girly". All the gals I run with have nice, rugged looking rigs. It's the GUYS that make them look "girly". They have a lot of fun doing silly things to them. One guy painted his pink with white flares and calls it the Barbie Jeep. He wheels the 'schmidt' out of it too. Another painted all of the accents purple and put a big purple decal on it.

I figure that if you're having fun with it and it makes you happy, than more power to ya. It's like anything else, you decorate it to suit your own tastes. So long as it's functional to hell with what everyone else thinks. My thing is that I swap out my hood decals regularly. It's a small thing, inexpensive and infinitely customizable.

The primary reasons I have no respect for tube bumpers and steps are:
1) tube bumpers have no recovery points and no place to mount a winch. This makes you a liability on the trails. Some outfits won't let you run with them if you don't have (at the minimum) recovery points.
2) tube steps will not protect your tub when you lean it on something.
I totally agree with all you've said Kate, your jeep your taste, I'm about to do burnt orange accents on my jeep, I Like it many don't, but it's my jeep so whatever
And that's my issue as well, those bumpers/ steps don't do diddly squat. The guy smirked at my jeep like oh my god you take the top and doors off?!
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #1924
Jeeper
 
nitrocoastie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 163
Ill agree with the no recovery points but any mods are better than a stock jeep
nitrocoastie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #1925
Jeeper
 
2000jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lombard IL
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocoastie
Was he shooting at you??? Then yes
Luckily no he drove past the house while I was there hit my car twice shot their front house window and who knows what else but maybe if I see him again he might have some holes from my 20 gauge
__________________
Your car may go fast but my JEEP can go anywhere.
2000jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #1926
Jeeper
 
Brad48178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocoastie
Ill agree with the no recovery points but any mods are better than a stock jeep
Any mod's?
Brad48178 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #1927
Trail Mom

WF Supporting Member
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Scotts Hill, TN
Posts: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocoastie View Post
Ill agree with the no recovery points but any mods are better than a stock jeep
Well, yes and no.
If you look at the BIG picture, it doesn't make sense to spend your money twice.

Trust me, I understand the need for instant gratification. I have the patience of a gnat but when it comes to things for my Jeep I wait it out and keep saving until I can afford "the good stuff"
__________________
06 Rubi with some sort of double ended, chrome knobbed, cross threaded, infinitely adjustable, frequently breakable, worn out flammywhammers zip tied onto it.
It used to be a jeep thing... til that sh!t broke!
Kate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #1928
Trail Mom

WF Supporting Member
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Scotts Hill, TN
Posts: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad48178 View Post
Any mod's?
I'd wheel it!!
__________________
06 Rubi with some sort of double ended, chrome knobbed, cross threaded, infinitely adjustable, frequently breakable, worn out flammywhammers zip tied onto it.
It used to be a jeep thing... til that sh!t broke!
Kate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #1929
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 29
I've only read about half of this but here's my two cents:
Get rid of the milk jugs! All it takes is a screw driver and half a beer (dismantling with one hand while beer in other takes time)
I agree with getting rid of the step bars on the sides. I just put a 3.25" lift on my jeep. I'm only 5'8" and have to hop in but that's part of the kewl part!
If you don't have the money for a lift right now shop for tires. You can probably fit 31" tires with no lift and the tires will change the look...even ATs look better than stock. Oh and get 5 not 4 tires.
There's this bed liner in a spray can now. Something like $10 a can. I sprayed my flares and gas insert with and it looked nice...to me.
My wife and I are lucky enough to each drive a truck as well so I only drive the jeep when the wx is good. So I replaced the soft top with a Bimini top...for good
When you decide to do a lift, do it yourself. One of the many reasons I have a jeep. And this forum was awesome for tips along the way.
Best advice I saw in what I read is do what makes YOU happy
Empty Pockets is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #1930
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad48178

Any mod's?
That's MANLY!!
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #1931
Jeeper
 
2000jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lombard IL
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
I've only read about half of this but here's my two cents:
Get rid of the milk jugs! All it takes is a screw driver and half a beer (dismantling with one hand while beer in other takes time)
I agree with getting rid of the step bars on the sides. I just put a 3.25" lift on my jeep. I'm only 5'8" and have to hop in but that's part of the kewl part!
If you don't have the money for a lift right now shop for tires. You can probably fit 31" tires with no lift and the tires will change the look...even ATs look better than stock. Oh and get 5 not 4 tires.
There's this bed liner in a spray can now. Something like $10 a can. I sprayed my flares and gas insert with and it looked nice...to me.
My wife and I are lucky enough to each drive a truck as well so I only drive the jeep when the wx is good. So I replaced the soft top with a Bimini top...for good
When you decide to do a lift, do it yourself. One of the many reasons I have a jeep. And this forum was awesome for tips along the way.
Best advice I saw in what I read is do what makes YOU happy
You can fit 31's on a stock tj I have them on mine and later added a 1.25" bl
__________________
Your car may go fast but my JEEP can go anywhere.
2000jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #1932
Jeeper
 
stuckinwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad48178

Any mod's?
I used to kinda like that bumper... Not anymore....
__________________
Yeah, its got a HEMI!
stuckinwater is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #1933
Jeeper
 
CrackrJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Daytona Beach - FL
Posts: 249
Man it's been awhile since I started this thread, I'm glad to see its still going pretty strong!

I figure I should put up a picture of how my jeep actually changed thanks to ya'lls help. And since it's my puppy's 1st bday... A Photoshoot with jeep was in order!

Old
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3563800132.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	135327
new
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-688764387.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	135328

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1100304484.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	135330

I'm making a road trip north in August, so before that I will have added 2' BB, new shocks and 32' inch tires.
CrackrJack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #1934
Jeeper
 
carpecanom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 143
Send a message via Yahoo to carpecanom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackrJack
Man it's been awhile since I started this thread, I'm glad to see its still going pretty strong!

I figure I should put up a picture of how my jeep actually changed thanks to ya'lls help. And since it's my puppy's 1st bday... A Photoshoot with jeep was in order!

Old

new

I'm making a road trip north in August, so before that I will have added 2' BB, new shocks and 32' inch tires.
Excellent! Looks manly enough so far, and the pup helps too...
__________________
I didn't do it! Nobody saw me do it! You can't prove anything!
carpecanom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #1935
Jeeper
 
Munson821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 157
$60 will get you the claymore hitch cover from GG&Gtactical.com....it's like attaching balls to any jeep. Out of everything on my jeep I get the most attention for the claymore people love it.
Munson821 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #1936
Jeeper
 
Miguzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rockport, Texas
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson821
$60 will get you the claymore hitch cover from GG&Gtactical.com....it's like attaching balls to any jeep. Out of everything on my jeep I get the most attention for the claymore people love it.
Does it explode if you get to close?
__________________
You can drive fast... But I can go anywhere.
Miguzi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #1937
Jeeper
 
Munson821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguzi View Post
Does it explode if you get to close?
Yes It's only been tripped once......by a Texan lol
Munson821 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #1938
Jeeper
 
Logan_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My.Juliet
Posts: 816
Send a message via Skype™ to Logan_M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munson821
$60 will get you the claymore hitch cover from GG&Gtactical.com....it's like attaching balls to any jeep. Out of everything on my jeep I get the most attention for the claymore people love it.
Link bro
Logan_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #1939
Jeeper
 
kshaws21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ga. Mountains
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan_M

Link bro
Geesh how time consuming is it for you to Google GG&G Tactical???

http://www.gggaz.com/claymore-mine-t...tch-cover.html
kshaws21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #1940
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 4,614
Or claymore hitch cover like I did
wwch99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1941
Jeeper
 
Logan_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: My.Juliet
Posts: 816
Send a message via Skype™ to Logan_M
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshaws21

Geesh how time consuming is it for you to Google GG&G Tactical???

http://www.gggaz.com/claymore-mine-t...tch-cover.html
Sorry i left the house
Logan_M is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #1942
Jeeper
 
Munson821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 157
It's not for everybody but people do dig the claymore ...especially the cops here locally anyway.
Munson821 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #1943
Jeeper
 
CrackrJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Daytona Beach - FL
Posts: 249
Damn, Florida won't let me have the claymore!
CrackrJack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #1944
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackrJack View Post
Damn, Florida won't let me have the claymore!
Why not? sometimes its easier to ask forgiveness than permission, just sayin...
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #1945
Jeeper
 
CrackrJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Daytona Beach - FL
Posts: 249
True as that is... It says right on that claymore's site that Florida isn't going to be happy about it. And lord knows I can't afford a Bs ticket!
CrackrJack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #1946
Jeeper
 
stuckinwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackrJack
True as that is... It says right on that claymore's site that Florida isn't going to be happy about it. And lord knows I can't afford a Bs ticket!
Ouch. Haha. I guess you can't get one if you wanna be a good kid :P
__________________
Yeah, its got a HEMI!
stuckinwater is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #1947
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackrJack View Post
True as that is... It says right on that claymore's site that Florida isn't going to be happy about it. And lord knows I can't afford a Bs ticket!
You could go pirate style and get a hook. Arrrr......


Then if some eco-preaching, "I'm better than you", Prius driving pus runs into the back of your Jeep you can be nice and help him save the planet even more by dragging his ass where he needs to go.
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #1948
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,590
I went for the cheapo $9 harbor freight D(ish)-Ring.

__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #1949
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilYeller View Post
I went for the cheapo $9 harbor freight D(ish)-Ring.

9$? I think I'm gonna go to Harbor Freight this weekend. I've been looking at them online and they all seem to be about $25-$35.

Thanks once again dude.
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #1950
Jeeper
 
Skyhawk32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,140
Picked these up at a flea market 5 bucks a piece. There weight limit is 10 tons.

__________________
Four words I am proudest of
I am a veteran
24 years USAF Retired
Jet Mach forever
Skyhawk32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What I did to my TJ today TJeepman TJ General Discussion Forum 24386 Today 09:35 AM
What did you do to your JK today? phottomatt JK General Discussion Forum 41709 Today 09:25 AM
Making your TJ more "Manly" CrackrJack TJ General Discussion Forum 2028 10-24-2013 09:19 PM
TJ Bikini Duster and Windjammer BuckeyeX Ohio Jeep Forum 3 06-10-2012 05:13 PM
is my real '97 TJ a rare one? roy337 WF New Member Check In 22 04-04-2012 09:38 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC