Recently I had to remove my passenger side front brake caliper to replace a broken lug stud. Unfortunately when I removed the upper caliper bolt the threads came with it. This was on a Tuesday and and I had a wheelin trip planned on Friday. I knew mrblaine (black magic brakes) has a fix kit for this, unfortunately it wouldn't make it from California to Michigan in time. With some frantic Googling I was able to find a write up for the repair. All of the credit for the design of this repair goes to mrblaine.
I went to Fastenal and purchased two EZLOK M8-1.25 theaded inserts pn 650-8 for $2.90 ea. Also purchased two M8- 1.25x70mm bolts and one M8-1.25 nut.
Using a 27/64 bit I drilled out the caliper hole as straight as possible.
I then tapped the hole 1/2-13 using no lubricant.
With the hole prepped I threaded the insert on the new bolt using the nut as a stop. Then applied a few drops of red locktite.
As you can see the insert is externally threaded 1/2"-13. From the back side, I theraded the insert into the modified caliper hole until the nut bottomed against the knuckle. This ensures the insert is flush. It was left overnight to cure the locktite.
The next day after removing the nut I had a much more durable mounting point.
Installed the caliper and torqued to the FSM specified 11ftlbs (132 inlbs).
Quick tip: I you are going to repair one hole, repair both. As I was installing the caliper the bottom hole stripped out so I had to repeat the process. Good thing I bought two inserts as it took a day to ship.
When I build my hp30 I will either insert those knuckles or more likely reuse these.
Out of respect for mrblaine I would not have posted this information if he hadn't already on Jeeps Unlimited. That is where I found the info for this repair.