Dropped the transmission of my 97 TJ this week to swap the converter and couldn't resist sharing what I saw living in the transmission oil pan
That "urchin" is made of metal particles caught by the magnet after 13 years of use & abuse and lately an irrational torque converter.
Despite it's shape, the consistency of this matter is like BBQ sauce. Creamy and smooth between fingers. My wife was quite amazed at what a pain it is to remove metal dust from a strong magnet.
Filter had a handful of larger metal bits the size of a small ant. Probably from the worn out converter. Other than that, the pan was clean.
Now getting busy removing that f*** overcooked cork gasket from the oil pan. That thing is very hard and seems to be madly in love with the pan. It can hardly be scratched... Any thought on how to clean that up? can it be dissolved or softened by anything? Thanks for your suggestions