Metalcloak fenders - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
Metalcloak fenders

Does anyone have an opinion on Metalcloak fenders? They say you can run 35's with no lift.

jbl99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ltdanyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 191
Send a message via AIM to ltdanyj
Just finished installing the rear corners and fenders on my LJ today!!! I've been running the fronts for a few months now, and have rockers to install tomorrow... Very good quality product!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0237.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	209506  

ltdanyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl99 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on Metalcloak fenders? They say you can run 35's with no lift.
I have them on my jeep and I love them. Got MetalCloak all the way around. With the arched fenders in front with the rub rails and rockers and corner panels with rub rails. I think they are the best around since they replace the whole fender instead of you hacking away at the stock fender. They are solid too.
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
DadeCountyJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Miami-Dade
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdanyj
Just finished installing the rear corners and fenders on my LJ today!!! I've been running the fronts for a few months now, and have rockers to install tomorrow... Very good quality product!
Nice man congrats. I plan to get mine in exactly 2 months. They have YouTube videos that will tell the exact tire size you can run without a lift.

By the way, where did you purchase yours? Directly through the website or a distributor? I ask because in the website, freight for me racks up to about $500. I am wondering if a distributor will offer a better incentive.
DadeCountyJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
DadeCountyJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Miami-Dade
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTJEEP

I have them on my jeep and I love them. Got MetalCloak all the way around. With the arched fenders in front with the rub rails and rockers and corner panels with rub rails. I think they are the best around since they replace the whole fender instead of you hacking away at the stock fender. They are solid too.
Glad to hear that EMT JEEP. Not everyone appreciates the hefty price tag but I have not seen any other with the features and capabilities of metalcloack.

Same question though. Where did you buy them? Directly through the website or via a distributor?
DadeCountyJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl99 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on Metalcloak fenders? They say you can run 35's with no lift.
The only ones I sort of like are the overlines. Other than that, do not like the way they look...but that is just personal opinion.

As far as 35s go though, just because you can fit them doesnt mean the jeep is ready for them. Rear axle, gearing, steering, braking should all be upgraded when going to 35s.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
EMTJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin Ca
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadeCountyJeeper View Post
Glad to hear that EMT JEEP. Not everyone appreciates the hefty price tag but I have not seen any other with the features and capabilities of metalcloack.

Same question though. Where did you buy them? Directly through the website or via a distributor?
They are well worth the $600, since they replace the whole thing. So I think that it's money well spent.
I live about 35 minutes away from them, so I picked them directly from their warehouse. Also have gone wheeling with them a couple times up at prairie city. It's says Dublin Ca on my profile but currently in Davis for school.
EMTJEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
Trail Mom

WF Supporting Member
 
Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Scotts Hill, TN
Posts: 2,864
I have 'Cloaks all around including their full corners.

I absolutely love them.

The quality of product was amazing. In particular I think my favorite feature of them is that they are versatile. You can take the flares off easily if that's what you need/want to do, get different widths of flares, have sets in different colors or just go bare naked if you choose too.

They are tough too. I have used mine to pivot around trees on tight trails and only rubbed the paint a little.

Damn fine product.

Here's mine with the front flares on, rears off.
__________________
06 Rubi with some sort of double ended, chrome knobbed, cross threaded, infinitely adjustable, frequently breakable, worn out flammywhammers zip tied onto it.
It used to be a jeep thing... til that sh!t broke!
Kate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ltdanyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 191
Send a message via AIM to ltdanyj
Broke my allen driver today, so I gotta finish up tomorrow... But this gives you an idea of what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0238.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	209817  
ltdanyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,198
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
...As far as 35s go though, just because you can fit them doesnt mean the jeep is ready for them. Rear axle, gearing, steering, braking should all be upgraded when going to 35s.
That can't be emphasized enough. And if you're doing trails difficult enough to require 35" tires, I can't imagine not running some form of suspension lift. Low COG is one thing, having sufficient clearance over difficult offroad terrain is quite another.

One thing for sure, Jeeps are in no way ready for 35" tires as they come from the factory. As Cons-Table said, the rear axle has to be strong enough which is to say the standard Dana 35c rear axle is not strong enough for that big of a tire. Neither will the gear ratio inside the axles be low enough to run that big of a tire. The tie rod/steering is not up to that big of a tire, and the brakes are generally very marginal (inadequate IMHO) once you get to the 35" tire size.

So being able to clear 35" tires is just one very small insignificant part of being able to run 35" tires without ongoing problems.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
ltdanyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 191
Send a message via AIM to ltdanyj
^^^^ 35's on my LJ^^^^^
ltdanyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Supporting Vendor
 
JeepAddOns-Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl99 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on Metalcloak fenders? They say you can run 35's with no lift.
You can, but you will have very little up travel. I'd recommend a 2.5" lift if you're running 35s to get full use of the system. edit: I'll go ahead and say it, but beefing up axles goes without saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadeCountyJeeper View Post
Nice man congrats. I plan to get mine in exactly 2 months. They have YouTube videos that will tell the exact tire size you can run without a lift.

By the way, where did you purchase yours? Directly through the website or a distributor? I ask because in the website, freight for me racks up to about $500. I am wondering if a distributor will offer a better incentive.
Depends on if the distributor has them in stock or not and if they want to knock off a bit on shipping (distributors have to pay shipping as well). You can only buy from Metal Cloak directly or from a local distributor. For example, I can only sell local and am not able to ship to someone across the country. The nice thing about that is that you know you're buying from someone that installs what they sell and great service and products is part of the Metal Cloak experience from beginning to end. Yes, Metal Cloak is pricey, but there is value in their products that you never even realize until you have seen their products in person.
__________________
We are currently away from the forums and unavailable for quotes. Please contact our sales team at 800-388-8637.
JeepAddOns-Chris is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
neverfastenough1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I have 'Cloaks all around including their full corners.

I absolutely love them.

The quality of product was amazing. In particular I think my favorite feature of them is that they are versatile. You can take the flares off easily if that's what you need/want to do, get different widths of flares, have sets in different colors or just go bare naked if you choose too.

They are tough too. I have used mine to pivot around trees on tight trails and only rubbed the paint a little.

Damn fine product.

Here's mine with the front flares on, rears off.
I think I am going to buy your rig a Valentine's Card.
neverfastenough1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl99 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on Metalcloak fenders? They say you can run 35's with no lift.
I know a guy with a TJ with a 2" spring lift 1.25" body with metalcloak fenders front and rear and running 37's.
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
inunneley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 35
I ordered mine about a week ago, should be here in the next week or so. Both front and rear fenders/ 6" flares, all powdercoated, with shipping came in at a little over 1800. From everything i've read, and the customer service metalcloak has provided so far, it's worth it. You can run 35's with the modcut rear, which requires trimming 1 1/2 in off your tub. I'll be putting on a 2" suspension lift for just a little more clearance.
inunneley is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
DadeCountyJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Miami-Dade
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAddOns-Chris

You can, but you will have very little up travel. I'd recommend a 2.5" lift if you're running 35s to get full use of the system. edit: I'll go ahead and say it, but beefing up axles goes without saying.

Depends on if the distributor has them in stock or not and if they want to knock off a bit on shipping (distributors have to pay shipping as well). You can only buy from Metal Cloak directly or from a local distributor. For example, I can only sell local and am not able to ship to someone across the country. The nice thing about that is that you know you're buying from someone that installs what they sell and great service and products is part of the Metal Cloak experience from beginning to end. Yes, Metal Cloak is pricey, but there is value in their products that you never even realize until you have seen their products in person.
I agree. I plan to purchase them and install them myself. I have never seem them in person and you can still tell the difference from other fenders.
DadeCountyJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
offroad cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Innisfail, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 127
Just put frt ones on my jeep last week, tires shouldnt rub now when flexed out!

offroad cowboy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Jcole231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Slidell
Posts: 273
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-429262925.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	209971

Just got my fronts on, 4" overline flares.(4.5" Sus lift and 35"s) My rear extended corner guards, 4" rear flares, and rockers should be in next week. Awesome product and awesome customer service. They will def get my future business
Jcole231 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Sccafire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 92 miles from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 787
Like someone said before they completely replace stock fenders includding inner fenders. If your stock stuff is in good shape you can recoup some money by selling them.
__________________
Scott
Sccafire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
DadeCountyJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Miami-Dade
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcole231

Just got my fronts on, 4" overline flares.(4.5" Sus lift and 35"s) My rear extended corner guards, 4" rear flares, and rockers should be in next week. Awesome product and awesome customer service. They will def get my future business
Great picture man. I am torn between the arched ones and the overline. Don't know which to purchase in the upcoming months.

DadeCountyJeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC