Metric or SAE? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
boomer_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Napanee, ON
Posts: 141
Images: 1
Metric or SAE?

I'm putting together a trail tool kit and want to know what the majority of the nuts/bolts are (apart from Torx) are they metric or SAE? and if metric are they north-American metric? (10,13,15,17,19) or everyone else metric? (10,12,14,17,19). and the front axle nut for an 03 TJ is 36mm correct?

__________________
If all else fails........... Get a hammer!

2003 TJ sport
boomer_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
35mm. Is correct, you'll also need 8mm for driveshaft removal, ( a long box, and a ratchet wrench ) and various SAEs up to 3/4 ".

__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
Oops. 36mm
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepers29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 2,439
From my experience, it is 50/50 on metric/sae. I have a set of each for my trail box.
jeepers29 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 4,590
Images: 1
The TJ has a mix so you ned both SAE and Metric
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, 55w DDM HIDs
Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,205
Add 18mm to the metric list.
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
boomer_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Napanee, ON
Posts: 141
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigunman View Post
Add 18mm to the metric list.
is that a common size? or just for a few important spots?

so basically 8,10,13,15,17,18,19,36mm and up to 3/4" sockets and wrenches?
__________________
If all else fails........... Get a hammer!

2003 TJ sport
boomer_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,205
I can't speak to the rest. I'm still building my own on board took kit. I just know I had to go buy an 18mm wrench when I needed to remove my rear bumper. If there is one there may be more.

Mine is also a 2003 Sport.
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
If memory serves me correct the rear shock bolts need an 18mm. Perhaps when I get home tomorrow I'll write up a detailed list of everything in my on board tool bag and wrench roll.. Over the years I've learned not to carry any wrenches or sockets that aren't needed.. I'm always adding something, for instance, I just recently added the ARB tire repair kit, after our last trip I ended up having to drive over 100 miles to get a tire plugged, lost an entire day.. Lesson learned...
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
boomer_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Napanee, ON
Posts: 141
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
If memory serves me correct the rear shock bolts need an 18mm. Perhaps when I get home tomorrow I'll write up a detailed list of everything in my on board tool bag and wrench roll.. Over the years I've learned not to carry any wrenches or sockets that aren't needed.. I'm always adding something, for instance, I just recently added the ARB tire repair kit, after our last trip I ended up having to drive over 100 miles to get a tire plugged, lost an entire day.. Lesson learned...
I already have a quick plug kit (from slime i think, but there all the same)... one of the first things i got for my tool bag

a write up for just tools would be awesome. ive only been able to find write ups on gear (ie recovery gear, flashlights, fire extinguisher....). and your right, you don't really want to pack your whole toolbox in the back of your jeep if you don't have to (im a mechanic. I have TONS of tools!!!!!!)

I cant remember the last time i used an 18mm anything. maybe i'll just take the 18mm socket and wrench from my work tools. I remember needing a 13mm wrench (or 12 point socket) to remove the wheel bearing.
__________________
If all else fails........... Get a hammer!

2003 TJ sport
boomer_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
If memory serves me correct the rear shock bolts need an 18mm. Perhaps when I get home tomorrow I'll write up a detailed list of everything in my on board tool bag and wrench roll.. Over the years I've learned not to carry any wrenches or sockets that aren't needed.. I'm always adding something, for instance, I just recently added the ARB tire repair kit, after our last trip I ended up having to drive over 100 miles to get a tire plugged, lost an entire day.. Lesson learned...
Rear lower shock bolts are 15 and 18mm.
Rear frame side trackbar is 15 and 18mm
Upper shock bolts are 13mm
Lower front shocks are 13mm both side
Gas Tank skid bolts are 1/2"
Trans mount into skid plate are 13mm
Trans skid to frame are 3/4" up thru 02
Trans skid to frame are both 18 and 19mm depending on the rig 03-06
Driveshaft bolts with the small heads are 5/16 or 8mm
Front driveshaft at CV is 1/2"
Some trans mount to trans are 16mm, some are 5/8"
All steering castle nuts are 3/4" including frame side trackbar front
Caliper to knuckle bolts are 13mm front, 10, 12, and 13mm for the rear caliper to backing plate depending on the vehicle
Front bumper is 3/4", T-50 and 55, and 15mm
Swaybar links at rear swaybar are 15 and 18mm
Swaybar to rear axle is 15mm
Lower control arms are metric but 13/16 and 7/8" work perfectly to remove most. Some have the same on both sides which I believe 13/16" works on.

Upper control arms are 15mm and 15mm
T-block vent bolt at rear axle brake line is 9/16"
Bleeder screws are 3/8" and 10mm
Upper balljoint castle nut is 7/8"
Lower Balljoint castle nut is big ass crescent wrench
Unitbearing to knuckle bolts are 13mm 12 point
Diff cover bolts are 1/2"
Front fender bolts are 13mm
Oil pan bolts are 7/16" and 1/2"
Rear bumper lower is 18mm
Master Cylinder to booster is 13mm

I know more but those are the quick ones off the top of my head.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
http://blackmagicbrakes.com
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
All Terrain TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes View Post

Rear lower shock bolts are 15 and 18mm.
Rear frame side trackbar is 15 and 18mm
Upper shock bolts are 13mm
Lower front shocks are 13mm both side
Gas Tank skid bolts are 1/2"
Trans mount into skid plate are 13mm
Trans skid to frame are 3/4" up thru 02
Trans skid to frame are both 18 and 19mm depending on the rig 03-06
Driveshaft bolts with the small heads are 5/16 or 8mm
Front driveshaft at CV is 1/2"
Some trans mount to trans are 16mm, some are 5/8"
All steering castle nuts are 3/4" including frame side trackbar front
Caliper to knuckle bolts are 13mm front, 10, 12, and 13mm for the rear caliper to backing plate depending on the vehicle
Front bumper is 3/4", T-50 and 55, and 15mm
Swaybar links at rear swaybar are 15 and 18mm
Swaybar to rear axle is 15mm
Lower control arms are metric but 13/16 and 7/8" work perfectly to remove most. Some have the same on both sides which I believe 13/16" works on.

Upper control arms are 15mm and 15mm
T-block vent bolt at rear axle brake line is 9/16"
Bleeder screws are 3/8" and 10mm
Upper balljoint castle nut is 7/8"
Lower Balljoint castle nut is big ass crescent wrench
Unitbearing to knuckle bolts are 13mm 12 point
Diff cover bolts are 1/2"
Front fender bolts are 13mm
Oil pan bolts are 7/16" and 1/2"
Rear bumper lower is 18mm
Master Cylinder to booster is 13mm

I know more but those are the quick ones off the top of my head.
What no torque specs?
Just kidding, nice list. Probably covers most trail fixes.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
My Build
Frame off TJ restore project
All Terrain TJ is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
from my experience, it is 50/50 on metric/sae. I have a set of each for my trail box.

x2
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: http://www.wranglerforum.com/showthr...errerid=137375
Sinister6 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
boomer_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Napanee, ON
Posts: 141
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes View Post
Rear lower shock bolts are 15 and 18mm.
Rear frame side trackbar is 15 and 18mm
Upper shock bolts are 13mm
Lower front shocks are 13mm both side
Gas Tank skid bolts are 1/2"
Trans mount into skid plate are 13mm
Trans skid to frame are 3/4" up thru 02
Trans skid to frame are both 18 and 19mm depending on the rig 03-06
Driveshaft bolts with the small heads are 5/16 or 8mm
Front driveshaft at CV is 1/2"
Some trans mount to trans are 16mm, some are 5/8"
All steering castle nuts are 3/4" including frame side trackbar front
Caliper to knuckle bolts are 13mm front, 10, 12, and 13mm for the rear caliper to backing plate depending on the vehicle
Front bumper is 3/4", T-50 and 55, and 15mm
Swaybar links at rear swaybar are 15 and 18mm
Swaybar to rear axle is 15mm
Lower control arms are metric but 13/16 and 7/8" work perfectly to remove most. Some have the same on both sides which I believe 13/16" works on.

Upper control arms are 15mm and 15mm
T-block vent bolt at rear axle brake line is 9/16"
Bleeder screws are 3/8" and 10mm
Upper balljoint castle nut is 7/8"
Lower Balljoint castle nut is big ass crescent wrench
Unitbearing to knuckle bolts are 13mm 12 point
Diff cover bolts are 1/2"
Front fender bolts are 13mm
Oil pan bolts are 7/16" and 1/2"
Rear bumper lower is 18mm
Master Cylinder to booster is 13mm

I know more but those are the quick ones off the top of my head.
that's awesome! thanks for the list. so 8,10,12,13,15,18,19, most SAE, and a few large torx thrown in there as well. that should save some space and weight in the tool bag
__________________
If all else fails........... Get a hammer!

2003 TJ sport
boomer_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
boomer_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Napanee, ON
Posts: 141
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ View Post
What no torque specs?
Just kidding, nice list. Probably covers most trail fixes.
the torque specs are, if you hear a snap! and turning suddenly becomes easy you went to far . but that should just about cover it.
__________________
If all else fails........... Get a hammer!

2003 TJ sport
boomer_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The land of Salted Iron
Posts: 1,760
Yes, you need SAE and Metric...1/2" drive and 3/8" drive...good quality Torx bits (preferably 2 or more of each, especially if you buy from Harbor Freight).
__________________
His: 1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...

Hers: 1987 Grand Wagoneer, stock w/Falken Wildpeak ATs
lindel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindel View Post
Yes, you need SAE and Metric...1/2" drive and 3/8" drive...good quality Torx bits (preferably 2 or more of each, especially if you buy from Harbor Freight).
I prefer to keep the number of 1/2" drive tools to a bare minimum. I carry a ratcheting breaker bar to loosen the few fasteners that require high forces like the 12 point unitbearing bolts, lugnuts, and aftermarket frame side trackbar bolts. That means my 1/2" stuff consists of the breaker bar, 3 or 4 sockets, and a couple of extensions.

I carried around a Husky 1/2" set for several years and after never using it on the trail, I gave it away to someone in need.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
http://blackmagicbrakes.com
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Full Size Jeep Dr.

WF Supporting Member
 
lindel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The land of Salted Iron
Posts: 1,760
If I didn't have rust to contend with, I'd agree. Penetrating oil and 1/2" drive sockets/ratchets make rust a lot easier to live with.
__________________
His: 1999 Flame Red TJ, With a few mods...

Hers: 1987 Grand Wagoneer, stock w/Falken Wildpeak ATs
lindel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes View Post

I prefer to keep the number of 1/2" drive tools to a bare minimum. I carry a ratcheting breaker bar to loosen the few fasteners that require high forces like the 12 point unitbearing bolts, lugnuts, and aftermarket frame side trackbar bolts. That means my 1/2" stuff consists of the breaker bar, 3 or 4 sockets, and a couple of extensions.

I carried around a Husky 1/2" set for several years and after never using it on the trail, I gave it away to someone in need.
Agreed, I carry 1/2" breaker, ratchet, extensions and maybe three sockets.. Everything else is 3/8ths and a few 1/4 " drives... BTW, that was a very nice lost.. The only sizes I have in addition to your list are 9/16, 7/16, and 3/8 which are used on my top and rear safari racks...

__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC