MPG questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Unhappy MPG questions

I have a 2001 Wrangler 4.0L that I just bought and I thought that I would get around 18 MPG on the highway. I'm not even getting close to that. It has 73,000 miles on it and I'm not real sure if its had the plugs and wires changed yey or not or even if that will help. Could someone give me some tips on how to get better gas millage from my Jeep? Thanks.

mbuckner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,767
What are you getting and how are you calculating it. Does it run fine on the highway.

I can get 18-19 on my 4 banger but I MUST keep it at the speed limit and run the truck lanes on hills or else it drops a lot.

__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 485
How the heck are you guys getting that good of gas mileage... Are you stock? I only get 10 mpg
__________________
Arachno Camo
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
TJGARMA03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 429
I'm anywhere from 14-16mpg. Only running 31s w/4.0 auto 3.73 2003
TJGARMA03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: IL
Posts: 734
im getting about 13 on my 4.0 auto, that highway and interstate driving. buts its also 10 degrees out side so the jeep runs for about 20 min before i leave in the morning
__________________

2014 JK Willy's- Hyrdo Blue
2014 JKU Rubicon- Copperhead Orange
SHADYDC is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Right now I filled up and I've only driven 170 miles and Its almost on a 1/4 of a tank. I personally feel like i should be getting more.
mbuckner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Its completly stock!
mbuckner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
TJGARMA03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADYDC View Post
im getting about 13 on my 4.0 auto, that highway and interstate driving. buts its also 10 degrees out side so the jeep runs for about 20 min before i leave in the morning
20mins? Ill start mine up for like 2 mins and about 2miles down the road it's almost all warmed up.
TJGARMA03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Jiffydarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 530
Send a message via AIM to Jiffydarren
>MPG
>Jeep

shiggy diggy
__________________
Losing hours at work? Taxes up on your paycheck? Having trouble finding a doctor? Your kids trashy?

You voted for it... Stop complaining.
Jiffydarren is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 4,908
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckner View Post
Right now I filled up and I've only driven 170 miles and Its almost on a 1/4 of a tank. I personally feel like i should be getting more.

First off get a real calculation. Don't guess how much is in the tank. Fill it, drive it, then put gas back in it and divide the miles driven by gallons put back.
__________________
2003 TJ, 33" BFG AT, 2" BL, 2" BDS spring lift, Truck Lite headlights, Homemade sunrider top.
Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,703
Images: 3
Very difficult question to answer. Do you have stock gears, tires or have there been alterations? A totally stock Jeep may get 16 to 18 mpg on the highway in good driving conditions. Any tire size changes affects the odometer along with the mileage. Also, the gas gauge is not the most accurate thing ever made either so you certainly can not just eyeball it and think you are accurate. Do what Neil says but if you have larger tires the odometer is going to read incorrectly. Try a GPS for accurate reading.
530ktm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
First off get a real calculation. Don't guess how much is in the tank. Fill it, drive it, then put gas back in it and divide the miles driven by gallons put back.
I cannot believe how many people do not know how to calculate MPG and use the best guess method.

Usine the best guess method my YJ used to get 100 MPG in the first 1/4 tank then almost zero the rest of the tank. So I never let it go below 3/4 tank.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Dan216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 410
J.e.e.p.
Dan216 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan216 View Post
J.e.e.p.
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Amen
__________________
Arachno Camo
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
First off get a real calculation. Don't guess how much is in the tank. Fill it, drive it, then put gas back in it and divide the miles driven by gallons put back.

I'm filled up during lunch and I'm getting 13 MPG. All of my driving is highway and there have been no modifications at all. I hope this isn't "normal".
mbuckner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Twilight Zone
Posts: 47
I would bet its your shoes, the heavier your right shoe is the worse it gets. I personally drive 55-60mph on the highway in mine and get 18 to 19. Its not uncommon to get 325 on a tank. Commplete stock 5 spd, 4.0 with 202,000, and 31s.
herbster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,767
A full tank of gas last 4-6 weeks if not more......wait I have been unemployed for almost a year. No wonder........

For over 21 years I drove 100 miles a day commuting and when i stopped driving it like it was a sports car my mpg was a constant 18-19 mpg. Sometimes is sucked being the slowest vehicle on the interstate but after a while I did not care. I had to fill up every 3 days and when gas went well over 3 a gallon it really hurt the wallet.

When I drove like a maniac I had to buy gas every second day or else I would not make it home.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
jeepndon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckner View Post
I have a 2001 Wrangler 4.0L that I just bought and I thought that I would get around 18 MPG on the highway. I'm not even getting close to that. It has 73,000 miles on it and I'm not real sure if its had the plugs and wires changed yey or not or even if that will help. Could someone give me some tips on how to get better gas millage from my Jeep? Thanks.
I have an 04 Rubi and get 18.5MPG hwy and can get as high as 21MPG its all about how you drive it.

- Shift early don't go over 2000 rpm with each shift I am in 5th gear before 40MPH. slow acceleration.
- Stay Light on the pedel.
- on the Highway speed is your enemy the faster you go the more gas is needed to push the jeep through the air. I will go 65 MAX with Cruse on

- Check your plugs make sure there gapped right.
- Run some SEAFOAM addtitive throuh the Gas tank to clean the injecters and valves.
- Check your Air cleaner.
__________________
2004 Jeep Rubicon, 3.5 Rubicon Express lift & Front adjustable front & rear track bar, Currie Currentlync Heavy-Duty Tie rod System, Terraflex Monster Long arm, Terraflex disconnects, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 33 x 10.5 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine rims, Warn Zeon 10K Winch, Warn Stubby Front bumper, Body Armor rear swingout.
jeepndon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
InvisiblePants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 517
Images: 11
Re: MPG questions

Also people have reported improvements after changing the upstream O2 sensor/sensors.

I'm installing a new upstream tonight after school.
InvisiblePants is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
jeepndon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiblePants View Post
Also people have reported improvements after changing the upstream O2 sensor/sensors.

I'm installing a new upstream tonight after school.

Thats a bit expensive don't you think? Perhaps you should check the cheaper things like how your driving it how you drive it is the #1 reason for poor gas milage taking it up to 3500 RPM with the pedal to the floor then shifting is the most common reason for poor MPG. #2 is speeding anything more than 60 and your using alot more fuel to get that post office box on wheels through the air. if your not getting codes returned by the computer most likley your O2 sensors are fine and its an ID10T error.
__________________
2004 Jeep Rubicon, 3.5 Rubicon Express lift & Front adjustable front & rear track bar, Currie Currentlync Heavy-Duty Tie rod System, Terraflex Monster Long arm, Terraflex disconnects, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 33 x 10.5 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine rims, Warn Zeon 10K Winch, Warn Stubby Front bumper, Body Armor rear swingout.
jeepndon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
CountryBoyJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepndon View Post
most likley your O2 sensors are fine and its an ID10T error.
That's a little rude to the guy don't you think? I hate going around on this forum and seeing people act that way.
__________________
Arachno Camo
CountryBoyJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 5,704
Way back when I got my '04 Sport with 3.73s and "stock" tires, and 5 speed manual with 4.0...and I drove 55mph it would get 22 mpg consistently...and saw 24 mpg a FEW times.

Small lift, different bumpers, and 31" tires, mileage went to 19-21 highway and 17-19 around town.......now......... more lift, 33" tires, and it is down to 15-17 mpgs...but it sure is fun...IDK highway mpgs it doesn't go there much anymore.....
jp2611 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
miketx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 109
Speed is the killer on jeeps....what is your highway speed? Anything above 65 and it's a slippery slope. I drive ~70mph and I've never gotten above 17mpg....and my jeep is perfectly in tune...runs awesome. It just sucks gas....that's the life of a jeep owner. We drive a 4wd vehicle powered by a tractor engine.
__________________
'98 Jeep TJ Sahara, 31s, 2" lift, SRC front/rear bumpers with carrier, KC Daylighters and driving lights
miketx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dixie
Posts: 33
My 4.0 6-speed will eke out maybe 18 on the highway (65 or under) and 14 around town. That's on stock wheels/gearing. I don't hammer it, it's just a gas pig. It's a fun vehicle, though, so I tolerate it.
Daddy_O is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Valdosta
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2611 View Post
Way back when I got my '04 Sport with 3.73s and "stock" tires, and 5 speed manual with 4.0...and I drove 55mph it would get 22 mpg consistently...and saw 24 mpg a FEW times.

Small lift, different bumpers, and 31" tires, mileage went to 19-21 highway and 17-19 around town.......now......... more lift, 33" tires, and it is down to 15-17 mpgs...but it sure is fun...IDK highway mpgs it doesn't go there much anymore.....
yep..my 05 sport 6spd with 3:73 gears and "stock tires" gets 20mpg on the interstate. I drove 3.5 hours last weekend back home from atlanta......stayed at about 68 on the highway.
redkaz04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
jeepndon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoyJeep View Post
That's a little rude to the guy don't you think? I hate going around on this forum and seeing people act that way.
I've been around this forum a long time and I am tired of people that jump to replacing expensive parts without first looking at the simple things first if you have poor MPG and always had poor MPG more than likely it is going to be the interface between the Steering wheel and the seat pressing to hard on the gas or hard off the line, going to fast on the hwy.

I have a guy at work that just could not believe I could get 19 MPG in my jeep with 4" lift and 33" tires he said I can only get 11 MPG stock! I asked a few questions and found his problem he's doing 80 MPH all the way into and home from work!! I gave him some tips and he did them for a week and what happened he got 18.5 MPG that week. saved him like two fill ups that week.

As a mechanic I have always been taught to look at the simple stuff first otherwise it might get real expensive.
__________________
2004 Jeep Rubicon, 3.5 Rubicon Express lift & Front adjustable front & rear track bar, Currie Currentlync Heavy-Duty Tie rod System, Terraflex Monster Long arm, Terraflex disconnects, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 33 x 10.5 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine rims, Warn Zeon 10K Winch, Warn Stubby Front bumper, Body Armor rear swingout.
jeepndon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
jerry97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: hawthorne ca
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckner View Post
I'm filled up during lunch and I'm getting 13 MPG. All of my driving is highway and there have been no modifications at all. I hope this isn't "normal".
13 mpg is normal for me but i got a i6 auto with 33" tires and a 4" lift with 3.07 gears. i recently dropped to 7mpg kinda all of a sudden i used to get about 210 miles a full tank and dropped down to 120 miles per full tank... i found that i had a cracked header/exhaust manifold witch is pretty common on our jeeps. it was cracked in two different places almost all the way around. changed it out and bam!! got my mileage back.

you should get input from other people that have your same setup to see if you have a problem.
jerry97tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
InvisiblePants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 517
Images: 11
Re: MPG questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepndon View Post
Thats a bit expensive don't you think? Perhaps you should check the cheaper things like how your driving it how you drive it is the #1 reason for poor gas milage taking it up to 3500 RPM with the pedal to the floor then shifting is the most common reason for poor MPG. #2 is speeding anything more than 60 and your using alot more fuel to get that post office box on wheels through the air. if your not getting codes returned by the computer most likley your O2 sensors are fine and its an ID10T error.
Yes it can be expensive, but O2 sensors don't always throw codes, and with 120000 miles on her I would rather spend a little money as part of my level setting tuneup. Changing all the fluids can be expensive as well. The op asked for what could be causing his poor mileage so I was just throwing it out there that others have seen improvement after changing them. And if you want to call someone and idiot, just come right out and say it. There is no need to be a snarky tool, when we are all here to help and learn from each other. I bought my jeep knowing that it wasn't going to win any mpg awards. It is a box on wheels. I really don't care if I get any improvement in mpg as long as I have fun driving it, that is all that matters.


at the end of the day the op can make his own decisions about what to do based on their budget. If you are tired of people making suggestions when someone asks for help, get off the forum or move on to the next topic.
InvisiblePants is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
brs256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ft riley ks
Posts: 441
i would change the oil and plugs ( your jeep should have a distributorless coil rail setup, meaning there are no wires to change), i would also check your tire pressure( it makes a big difference , i noticed 3mpg gained with increased pressure in my wifes honda on a recent 800 mile road trip) ... also my jeep gets the best gas mileage at around 50 mph ... if you cant handle poor gas mileage a jeep isnt a good vehicle for you to drive everyday, especially not a wrangler, consider a 4cyl econo car for a daily driver.
__________________
97 #1 TJ 4.0 5spd - built,beat,rolled,totaled,stripped, and SOLD

97 #2 TJ 4.0 5spd and some stuff from - savvy, rokmen, corbeau, a-z fab, rock hard 4x4,metal cloak, and others ....slowly building it up

06 Civic - tint + 36mpg
brs256 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
jeepndon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiblePants View Post
Yes it can be expensive, but O2 sensors don't always throw codes, and with 120000 miles on her I would rather spend a little money as part of my level setting tuneup. Changing all the fluids can be expensive as well. The op asked for what could be causing his poor mileage so I was just throwing it out there that others have seen improvement after changing them. And if you want to call someone and idiot, just come right out and say it. There is no need to be a snarky tool, when we are all here to help and learn from each other. I bought my jeep knowing that it wasn't going to win any mpg awards. It is a box on wheels. I really don't care if I get any improvement in mpg as long as I have fun driving it, that is all that matters.


at the end of the day the op can make his own decisions about what to do based on their budget. If you are tired of people making suggestions when someone asks for help, get off the forum or move on to the next topic.
Don't mind people asking for help or a question its the people that suggest to that person the expensive fix first! "hey I get bad gas mileage" and they respond with "oh that's the Fuel injectors" before suggesting to Check the simple things first like check the spark plugs and gap, change the cap and rotor, check for vacuum leaks, clogged Air filter, Fuel Pressure check, Clogged exhaust, or checking to see if the engine has thrown a code in the past that is still stored in the computer? Simple inexpensive things someone can do before we get to changing the O2 sensors.

I apologize for the ID10T comment that was out of line sorry

__________________
2004 Jeep Rubicon, 3.5 Rubicon Express lift & Front adjustable front & rear track bar, Currie Currentlync Heavy-Duty Tie rod System, Terraflex Monster Long arm, Terraflex disconnects, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, 33 x 10.5 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine rims, Warn Zeon 10K Winch, Warn Stubby Front bumper, Body Armor rear swingout.
jeepndon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
#mpg #mpg help

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC