My jeep ticking like crazy - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Angry My jeep ticking like crazy

Hi everyone,
I had my jeep for about 6 month now, love it. It has 80000 miles on it.
Month after I bout it I did my oil change with full synthetic Mobil 1 and
Mobil 1filter. 2 days after that it start making noise like "tick tick tick", drives me crazy!!! Noise usually start minute after I started and continues for 10-15 minutes and goes away. It will increase with rpms.
Lifters? I did marvel mystery oil in crankcase, sea foam, Lucas oil stabilizer. Five different oil changes. No help.
Cracked exhaust. I did seafoam in trothle body. Could see no licks.
Oil looks clean and full.
What could it be? please help!

Fedotov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,498
Images: 1
What do you mean "Cracked Exhaust"?

__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
What do you mean "Cracked Exhaust"?
I ment cracked exhaust manifold or exhaust leak! Sorry. I heard they will make ticking noise.
Fedotov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,498
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedotov View Post
I ment cracked exhaust manifold or exhaust leak! Sorry. I heard they will make ticking noise.
So if you are saying you do have a crack or manifold gasket leak, then that is probably your ticking noise. I suggested in a similar recent thread to get a $3 harbor freight mechanics stethiscope to verify.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
So if you are saying you do have a crack or manifold gasket leak, then that is probably your ticking noise. I suggested in a similar recent thread to get a $3 harbor freight mechanics stethiscope to verify.
I used stethoscope and noise coming from passenger side of engine, kind by spark plugs. I change spark plugs and no help. Do you think it could be lifters?
Fedotov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
Most likely lifters...the 4.0 is notorious for it. Mine does it all the time when the weather gets cold.
__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nt3nc3d View Post
Most likely lifters...the 4.0 is notorious for it. Mine does it all the time when the weather gets cold.
Thank you. Is it worth to replace them or just let them tick?
Fedotov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
SinfulDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 981
just let em tick
SinfulDragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Drakea94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16,114
Bomb !!
__________________
"You can't let the 1% di*kheads ruin your day, you have to remember the 99% of people who are nice"


"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."
General George Patton Jr.
Drakea94 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Mr_RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Howell Michigan
Posts: 784
what weight of oil did you use?

The reason why the tick goes away after 15 mins is because the oil is finally hot.

when you used MMO in the oil did the tick change at all? MMO is great at thinning oil so if it got quioeter with MMO it might be because your oil is too thick.

also, when you used Lucas oil stabilizer did it make it worse? for the same reason just opposite.

chances are its the normal 4.0L tick. when you added Mobil 1 it might have cleaned out some sludge and made the tick less insulated and easier to hear.
__________________
2001 TJ 4.0L Automatic, D35/30, both hard and soft top, full doors,JKS quicker Disconnects, 31" discoverer ATR, American racing 767 offset 15" wheel. ProComp Genuine steel bumpers front and back. glass pack muffler, Rugged Ridge extended fender flares, 130w KC daylighters, motorcycle light for reverse lights. 86,000k miles (11-7-2012)
Mr_RPM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_RPM View Post
what weight of oil did you use?

The reason why the tick goes away after 15 mins is because the oil is finally hot.

when you used MMO in the oil did the tick change at all? MMO is great at thinning oil so if it got quioeter with MMO it might be because your oil is too thick.

also, when you used Lucas oil stabilizer did it make it worse? for the same reason just opposite.

chances are its the normal 4.0L tick. when you added Mobil 1 it might have cleaned out some sludge and made the tick less insulated and easier to hear.
I use 10w30. Mystery oil and Lucas didn't change a thing! Ticking will increase with rpms! I gonna try to take a video and post it, so you can hear it.
Fedotov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Black98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South East PA
Posts: 379
I know mine has a nice tick when it first starts, makes that diesel like sound. I know mine isnt the exhaust because I already fixed my exhuast leak
Black98 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Blackberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Idaho
Posts: 46
Mine has ticked during the winter months for the last 2 years. I have always used 10w30 until this fall when I used 5w30. The ticking is almost gone now.
Blackberry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
fourty4magjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Erie
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
So if you are saying you do have a crack or manifold gasket leak, then that is probably your ticking noise. I suggested in a similar recent thread to get a $3 harbor freight mechanics stethiscope to verify.
Yep an exhaust leak will cause a ticking and it will do the same as the lifters and go away once the pipes are hot because the heat will close the leak depending on how bad the leak is.
__________________
/I ,[_____], Goodyear duratrac 33x12.5r15s
I---I_ -olllllllo- 4" currie lift, savvy arms.
()_) ()_)o-)_) Cragar or Procomp soft 8s pioneer deck with polk db series speakers
fourty4magjr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
tj00wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Far Northwest Washington
Posts: 392
Images: 3
It could be the crack position sensor too. I had a clicking at that was it. easy fix.
__________________
It's my daily driver...... If I roll it i'm screwed!
tj00wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
JeepWrangler4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 268
where do i get a crack position sensor??? i know my ticking was coming from a crack exhaust manifold, also read ur owners manual it says for colder months to run 5w30
JeepWrangler4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
Mine ticked just as much on 5w-30 as it does 10w-30...10w-30 is safe down to most winter temps other than those who live where it gets super cold. I think it's just the nature of the beast...
__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
pretty costly to replace lifters.. the lifters are cheap, getting to them isnt :P
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
mike3770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prospect, CT
Posts: 184
Mine does it too, still runs great just sounds like a diesel when I first start her up
__________________
I like my women like my jeeps, dirty and topless!
mike3770 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj00wrangler View Post
It could be the crack position sensor too. I had a clicking at that was it. easy fix.
Are you talking about camshaft position sensor? Or crank sensor?
Fedotov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
President, ThumbJeeps

WF Supporting Member
 
sevenservices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan/Thumb
Posts: 3,947
something to consider that might make you happier.

You keep adding aditives, stabalizers, etc... Things like the motor honey, lucas, marvel, etc... all are super thick. And, they thicken your oil. The thicker the oil is, the harder it is for the oil pump to get the oil up to the lifters as quick as they need it. Shoot, you even said it takes 10-15 minutes to quiet down, that means it takes your engine 10-15 minutes to thin all that stuff out enough to operate normally.

Drain all of that out of there and let it drain good. Then, fill 'er up with a 5-30 or something instead of a 10-40 and run it. And, do not add anything to thicken the oil.

Based off all of the things you've added, you might even need to flush the block. Run a 5-30 for a couple days, drain it and fill it. Run again for a couple days, drain it and fill it. After a couple or a few oil changes you'll have all of the thicker stuff out that is causing it to struggle to get the oil to the lifters quick enough for them to stay quiet.

When lifters tick loudly... it is thinner oil you want. Not thicker by adding treatments. Have you noticed since you changed the oil that it probably even got louder???
__________________
-Chris
President, ThumbJeeps
CB Callsign "AirForce One"


1994 Wrangler YJ I6 4.0 H/O Auto 3 spd. 4" RC (33x12.5) (15x8) 3:54 Gears
sevenservices is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenservices View Post
something to consider that might make you happier.

You keep adding aditives, stabalizers, etc... Things like the motor honey, lucas, marvel, etc... all are super thick. And, they thicken your oil. The thicker the oil is, the harder it is for the oil pump to get the oil up to the lifters as quick as they need it. Shoot, you even said it takes 10-15 minutes to quiet down, that means it takes your engine 10-15 minutes to thin all that stuff out enough to operate normally.

Drain all of that out of there and let it drain good. Then, fill 'er up with a 5-30 or something instead of a 10-40 and run it. And, do not add anything to thicken the oil.

Based off all of the things you've added, you might even need to flush the block. Run a 5-30 for a couple days, drain it and fill it. Run again for a couple days, drain it and fill it. After a couple or a few oil changes you'll have all of the thicker stuff out that is causing it to struggle to get the oil to the lifters quick enough for them to stay quiet.

When lifters tick loudly... it is thinner oil you want. Not thicker by adding treatments. Have you noticed since you changed the oil that it probably even got louder???
Thanks Chris! I'll try change my oil again. What kind of oil and filter you using? What should I use to flash my engine?
Fedotov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #23
President, ThumbJeeps

WF Supporting Member
 
sevenservices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan/Thumb
Posts: 3,947
I use any standard filters from carquest or fram or whatever... never been to picky on it. But I learned over the years with this straight 6 that she'll be soooo noisy as soon as I change the oil if I use Lucas. Yeah, its good to coat the parts but not so good to keep the oil flowing to the top end. Either way, mine is noisy everytime I change it but the thinner oils really help keep it down to where its hardly noticeable.

Unless you continue to have a lot of unbearable noise I wouldn't worry about a flush yet. Best thing to do is to let it run for about 5 minutes then shut it off and immediatly drain the oil while its hot. Just be careful not to have burning hot oil run up your arm (not sure how I know that!) and, let it drain then drip for awhile. I usually let it drain then go in for lunch or dinner or something giving it at least 45 min to an hour.

Flushing just means running it to get hot and draining the oil, then filling it and running till hot and draining it again. It takes an extra 5 quarts to do each time but helps clean it all out. Lucas ain't bad, I love the stuff. Just the I6 gets really noisy up top with any thicker oil.
__________________
-Chris
President, ThumbJeeps
CB Callsign "AirForce One"


1994 Wrangler YJ I6 4.0 H/O Auto 3 spd. 4" RC (33x12.5) (15x8) 3:54 Gears
sevenservices is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Mr_RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Howell Michigan
Posts: 784
Marvel mystery oil is an oil thinner.....

and yes, try a 5w-30
__________________
2001 TJ 4.0L Automatic, D35/30, both hard and soft top, full doors,JKS quicker Disconnects, 31" discoverer ATR, American racing 767 offset 15" wheel. ProComp Genuine steel bumpers front and back. glass pack muffler, Rugged Ridge extended fender flares, 130w KC daylighters, motorcycle light for reverse lights. 86,000k miles (11-7-2012)
Mr_RPM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenservices View Post
I use any standard filters from carquest or fram or whatever... never been to picky on it. But I learned over the years with this straight 6 that she'll be soooo noisy as soon as I change the oil if I use Lucas. Yeah, its good to coat the parts but not so good to keep the oil flowing to the top end. Either way, mine is noisy everytime I change it but the thinner oils really help keep it down to where its hardly noticeable.

Unless you continue to have a lot of unbearable noise I wouldn't worry about a flush yet. Best thing to do is to let it run for about 5 minutes then shut it off and immediatly drain the oil while its hot. Just be careful not to have burning hot oil run up your arm (not sure how I know that!) and, let it drain then drip for awhile. I usually let it drain then go in for lunch or dinner or something giving it at least 45 min to an hour.

Flushing just means running it to get hot and draining the oil, then filling it and running till hot and draining it again. It takes an extra 5 quarts to do each time but helps clean it all out. Lucas ain't bad, I love the stuff. Just the I6 gets really noisy up top with any thicker oil.
Ok I'll do that tomorrow. Is it safe to run 5w30 on summer time?
Fedotov is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
Yes its safe..

Also to really clean your engine you can throw some ATF in your oil.. drive it for a day then dump it and replace it with the new stuff.. use maybe half a quart.. atf has a lot of detergents in it which will help clean :-)
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Mr_RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Howell Michigan
Posts: 784
it is safe to run 5w-30 in the summer.

the 10w or 5w numbers simply means what the oils viscosity is at cold temp

the 30 is the weight of the oil when at operating temp.
so even in hot conditions a 5w-30 is going to be the same 30 as a 10w-30

some like to run 10w-30s in their jeeps during summer because its whats reccomended by the manual, but 10w oils are pretty old school and not needed anymore. running the 10w during the summer though won't do any harm.

read this if you want full detail, Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy

and in short, 5w-30 is safe all year around. before anyone challenges me on that please read that link first.
__________________
2001 TJ 4.0L Automatic, D35/30, both hard and soft top, full doors,JKS quicker Disconnects, 31" discoverer ATR, American racing 767 offset 15" wheel. ProComp Genuine steel bumpers front and back. glass pack muffler, Rugged Ridge extended fender flares, 130w KC daylighters, motorcycle light for reverse lights. 86,000k miles (11-7-2012)
Mr_RPM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
jameslee97206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 798
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
Yes its safe..

Also to really clean your engine you can throw some ATF in your oil.. drive it for a day then dump it and replace it with the new stuff.. use maybe half a quart.. atf has a lot of detergents in it which will help clean :-)
Iv'e done this many times to clean an engine and quiet noisy lifters. Works great.
jameslee97206 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_RPM View Post
it is safe to run 5w-30 in the summer.

the 10w or 5w numbers simply means what the oils viscosity is at cold temp

the 30 is the weight of the oil when at operating temp.
so even in hot conditions a 5w-30 is going to be the same 30 as a 10w-30

some like to run 10w-30s in their jeeps during summer because its whats reccomended by the manual, but 10w oils are pretty old school and not needed anymore. running the 10w during the summer though won't do any harm.

read this if you want full detail, Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy

and in short, 5w-30 is safe all year around. before anyone challenges me on that please read that link first.

I like what I've read on that site.. But if these theories are true, why doesn't everyone run a 0w-30 oil to ease startup flow and lubrication??

I may switch to a 5w or 0w-30 in my Jeep after reading that... I've got lifters tapping on cold startup...
I-Want-A-Jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Mr_RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Howell Michigan
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Want-A-Jeep View Post
I like what I've read on that site.. But if these theories are true, why doesn't everyone run a 0w-30 oil to ease startup flow and lubrication??

I may switch to a 5w or 0w-30 in my Jeep after reading that... I've got lifters tapping on cold startup...
0w oils are almost always synthetic and not everyone wants to run a synthetic because of cost or because their maintenance routine does not require it.
It is also cheaper for the oil companies to make 10w-30 Vs. 5w-30 and since most people are not very informed on oil Viscosity and practice some old school thoughts 10w-30 and other 10w oils sell very well so companies offer them. Most people are afraid of 0w oils but thats because they don't fully understand what it means.

Alot of new Cars that once called for 5w-20 and now being spec'd for 0w-20. Popular for Toyota and Honda.

But The difference between 5w and 0w many times are very small until temps get cold and below freezing. It would be more accurate to look an an Oils Visc at 40c and 100c Mobil 1 High Mileage Oils


5W-30 10W-30 10W-40
SAE Grade
Viscosity (ASTM D445)
cSt @ 40 C 69.2 78.1 95.9
cSt @ 100 C 11.7 12 14.71
Viscosity Index 165 149 160

__________________
2001 TJ 4.0L Automatic, D35/30, both hard and soft top, full doors,JKS quicker Disconnects, 31" discoverer ATR, American racing 767 offset 15" wheel. ProComp Genuine steel bumpers front and back. glass pack muffler, Rugged Ridge extended fender flares, 130w KC daylighters, motorcycle light for reverse lights. 86,000k miles (11-7-2012)
Mr_RPM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
exhaust manifold crack , lifters , tick

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pure Jeep 5" Stretch Kit.. AOR Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 13 07-20-2014 03:13 PM
1990 Jeep AX-15 6cl M Trans story from Hell Peloquin YJ Tech Forum 11 06-14-2012 06:04 PM
OH: 1987 Jeep Wrangler For Sale aerojt Classifieds Archive 12 01-05-2012 07:52 PM
Biggest Jeep Freek Contest!!!! txoutdoorx4 Classifieds Archive 6 02-21-2011 10:48 AM
History of the Jeep. George T. General Jeep Discussion 8 02-04-2009 01:03 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC