n00b questions.... - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 60
n00b questions....

Alright, I've read a researched so much lately that I'm now at the point where i retain nothing. I think I've gotten it only to read something else and be even more confused.....SO....
I want to lift my LJ. Nothing crazy, I will only do some mild trails and beach riding. I have 31s run ready to be installed and now I'm looking at a 2" spacer lift. Please give me your recommendations as to what I should buy. I want to use factory shocks and retain the smooth on road ride I have now. I currently have 30s and experience rubbing when turning fully....so I need something BC I know the taller and wider 31s will be worse. So, give it to me but plz take it easy on me....this is my first jeep and I'm just trying to get this right. I'm a chick but I can handle my own ...I think. LOL. Thanks guys/gals.

BadSweet is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 5,130
When I used to have spacers, I had these:

Pro Comp Tires, Pro Comp Xtreme Alloy Wheels, Yukon Gears, Yukon, Coil Spacers, Budget Boost


Regarding your rubbing at full steer...this article will explain how to make adjustments to resolve it.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Commercial Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Big Sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Fort Drum NY
Posts: 5,086
If you plan on doing a lift, you will not be able to use your stock shocks. I personally reccomend Rancho 9000xl shocks and zone lift.
__________________
NFL SEASON IS UPON US, GET YOUR FAVORITE TEAM AS A SHIFT KNOB FOR YOUR JEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR MY CUSTOM POOL BALL SHIFT KNOBS

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/custom-camo-pool-ball-shifters-224388.html


_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Big Sarge is online now   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
31's don't require a lift. I run a stock setup on 31's with no issues. If you go bigger than 31's then yes, lift it. If you plan on staying with those tires, don't waste your money.
RevCo666 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
ThatWhiteMachine101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 470
Get a 2" spring lift. Like RC or Rancho or OME depending on how much you want to spend. You'll clear 31s with ease if your wheels have enough BS. Which you'll want around 3 3/4 inches give or take a little. In my opinion stay away from Budget boosts if you don't plan to use it for anything besides gaining lift. Just save a get a full suspension lift.
__________________
2005 Patriot Blue TJ - Current love.
2004 Stone White TJ - Rest in Piece old girl.
ThatWhiteMachine101 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteMachine101 View Post
Get a 2" spring lift. Like RC or Rancho or OME depending on how much you want to spend. You'll clear 31s with ease if your wheels have enough BS. Which you'll want around 3 3/4 inches give or take a little. In my opinion stay away from Budget boosts if you don't plan to use it for anything besides gaining lift. Just save a get a full suspension lift.
I'd pick 2" BB with stock springs over a 2" RC or Rancho springs. BDS is way better.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
ThatWhiteMachine101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post

I'd pick 2" BB with stock springs over a 2" RC or Rancho springs. BDS is way better.
Haha to each his own. Enjoy your horrid articulation and coil bind. But BDS does make some great stuff!
__________________
2005 Patriot Blue TJ - Current love.
2004 Stone White TJ - Rest in Piece old girl.
ThatWhiteMachine101 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 60
Thanks for all the quick replys. Ive read that with a BB I will retain my stock ride. If doing a full suspension lift of only 2 or 2.5 inches, will I still keep the stock ride?? What is the best kit to insure I keep the on toad ride I want?? I don't mind piecing things together either if it means a smoother ride. I'd even consider leveling the front out with the rear without fully lifting if it helps keep the front from rubbing. This crazy or acceptable?? I should have mentioned this in the OP but I'd like to keep the cost under 300-400 if possible....don't mind spending a little more or less if the outcome is worthy. Thanks again
BadSweet is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ThatWhiteMachine101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSweet View Post
Thanks for all the quick replys. Ive read that with a BB I will retain my stock ride. If doing a full suspension lift of only 2 or 2.5 inches, will I still keep the stock ride?? What is the best kit to insure I keep the on toad ride I want?? I don't mind piecing things together either if it means a smoother ride. I'd even consider leveling the front out with the rear without fully lifting if it helps keep the front from rubbing. This crazy or acceptable?? I should have mentioned this in the OP but I'd like to keep the cost under 300-400 if possible....don't mind spending a little more or less if the outcome is worthy. Thanks again
Yes you will retain if not improve your stock ride. The only things that have to be changed is the coils and shocks, nothing else is modified at that height. But be warned, some jeeps driveline angles are extremely touchy, you may need a T-Case drop to correct them. I'm sure you've read on here how nobody wants one but its a very practical and affordable mod that will work just fine. If you only have 3-4. My suggestion is the 2.5 RC kit. I've ran it for 2 years and recommend it. But I would also recommend spending a little extra on either Rancho or Bilstien shocks. This will dramatically improve the ride.
__________________
2005 Patriot Blue TJ - Current love.
2004 Stone White TJ - Rest in Piece old girl.
ThatWhiteMachine101 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteMachine101 View Post
Haha to each his own. Enjoy your horrid articulation and coil bind. But BDS does make some great stuff!
Keep in mind what she is looking for...a stock feeling ride. RC and Rancho is just too stiff/horrid of a ride.
__________________
'99 Chili Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Rolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteMachine101 View Post

Yes you will retain if not improve your stock ride. The only things that have to be changed is the coils and shocks, nothing else is modified at that height. But be warned, some jeeps driveline angles are extremely touchy, you may need a T-Case drop to correct them. I'm sure you've read on here how nobody wants one but its a very practical and affordable mod that will work just fine. If you only have 3-4. My suggestion is the 2.5 RC kit. I've ran it for 2 years and recommend it. But I would also recommend spending a little extra on either Rancho or Bilstien shocks. This will dramatically improve the ride.
She has an LJ so driveline angles will not be an issue whatsoever for a 2-3" lift.

I suggest getting 2" Coils and combine that with JKU oem shocks. These can be had for cheap and the ride is excellent.
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sahara 4.0 42rle D30/D44
Front: 2" BDS coils + JKU shocks
Rear: 2" BB + Zone Nitro shocks
Zone 1.25" BL + 1" MML, UCF LoPro
32" BFG AT on 16" Racing Hart
Ramsey Pro Plus 6000, IPF 900s 130W
Rolf is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 60
Just read that a couple of LJ owners on anoyher site run BDS 2" spring with bilstein 5100s front and rear and are happy with the ride. Considering all the good marks bilstein gets in the jeep community, I may try this....just don't want to do this twice. Anyone have any experience with this setup??
BadSweet is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Rolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSweet View Post
Just read that a couple of LJ owners on anoyher site run BDS 2" spring with bilstein 5100s front and rear and are happy with the ride. Considering all the good marks bilstein gets in the jeep community, I may try this....just don't want to do this twice. Anyone have any experience with this setup??
BDS coils are great and have an excellent warrantee. I run BDS coils upfront. You can never go wrong with Bilstein shocks.

Trust me unless you want to go larger at some point you will be very happy with this combination.
__________________
2003 Wrangler Sahara 4.0 42rle D30/D44
Front: 2" BDS coils + JKU shocks
Rear: 2" BB + Zone Nitro shocks
Zone 1.25" BL + 1" MML, UCF LoPro
32" BFG AT on 16" Racing Hart
Ramsey Pro Plus 6000, IPF 900s 130W
Rolf is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
DarthLEGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 411
I have the 3" Zone Off Road kit that I am very happy with. Not into serious off-roading, on a budget and it is my DD. No SYE or Brake line issues due to the longer LJ frame. And my 33's fit very nicely.
__________________
Driving a Jeep is like riding in a roller coaster everyday!
DarthLEGO is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
speedyrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 189
I don't understand why 30's are rubbing. More of a backspacing issue than suspension?
speedyrev is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyrev View Post
I don't understand why 30's are rubbing. More of a backspacing issue than suspension?
In theory, 30's and 31's should not rub at all (no lift required). Maybe 31's slightly but I think that depends on the type of tire installed.
RevCo666 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLEGO View Post
I have the 3" Zone Off Road kit that I am very happy with. Not into serious off-roading, on a budget and it is my DD. No SYE or Brake line issues due to the longer LJ frame. And my 33's fit very nicely.
Do you retain the stock ride?? This may be a good option if ya did.

Can't figure out how to multi quote....but....
Maybe I'll try some wheel spacers in the interim until I decide on a lift. This is a second vehicle buy will be on the highway most of the time. I was shocked the first time I felt the tire rub with the 30s....I'll probably try the washer truck for the short term as well but don't wanna lose any of the already wide turning radius.
BadSweet is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 60
Thanks for all the replys so far!!

BadSweet is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC