Need dual stabilizers - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, Tx
Posts: 80
Need dual stabilizers

Which brand would you use? I need to install dual steering stabilizers on a 97 and 98 SE wrangler. The single is just not working out on either one. Which one do yall recommend?

1c62nv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1c62nv View Post
The single is just not working out on either one. Which one do yall recommend?
why don't you fix what's wrong with the steering/alignment first?

UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Jp90Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,132
None....in my opinion steering stabilizers are just band aids that hide the real issues. Post up details on the rigs and the issues you are having. If you are having issues with a single stabilizer you need to track down what is causing the issue instead of slapping on a band aid.
__________________
Jp90Talon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, Tx
Posts: 80
I dont have any steering or alignment issues. My intention is to get off the steering box by dampening the impact when wheeling. Two is definatly better than one when trying to protect moving parts.
1c62nv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
MikeMTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: If only I knew....
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via AIM to MikeMTJ
By adding two stabilizers, your increasing the resistance to much for the steering box. You will probably do more harm than good.
MikeMTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
csamn2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Peterson AFB CO
Posts: 1,911
Send a message via AIM to csamn2007
You definitely dont need dual. They do more damage then they are worth usually unless your running huge tires and an upgraded steering box.

What problems are you having?
__________________
2000 Wrangler Sport
2 in Procomp SL 1 in BL
33 in Procomp MTs
csamn2007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, Tx
Posts: 80
Im not having problems, Im just trying to gain a little better support on the 33s with the V8 conversion. People also told me double front shocks is a bad idea 200k miles ago on my other 4x4. Just looking to put duals on my TJ. Any brands anyone using? That little POS oem oil leaking junk does not last.
1c62nv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
MikeMTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: If only I knew....
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via AIM to MikeMTJ
You already think it's a POS, so you want to add more stress on to it?
MikeMTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
solman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern PA
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMTJ View Post
You already think it's a POS, so you want to add more stress on to it?
I think he meant the oem stabilizer not the steering box.
__________________
Favorite quote, Thanks GoldenSahara00 "not many people do it. most of the guys who do do it, don't sit on the computer and talk/write about it, they do it then go wheel"
solman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IE
Posts: 117
I've noticed on here that whenever someone asks which order they should buy parts or if they ask if everyone thinks whatever will look ok, usually people say "it's your jeep do what YOU like." Now this guy asks about a dual stabilizer not mentioning anything else and you give him a hard time telling him something is wrong with his ride. Is it not ok for him to do what he likes or wants to his jeep? Is it hurting anyone else if he adds another stabilizer to his jeep?
rayman375 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
solman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern PA
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman375 View Post
I've noticed on here that whenever someone asks which order they should buy parts or if they ask if everyone thinks whatever will look ok, usually people say "it's your jeep do what YOU like." Now this guy asks about a dual stabilizer not mentioning anything else and you give him a hard time telling him something is wrong with his ride. Is it not ok for him to do what he likes or wants to his jeep? Is it hurting anyone else if he adds another stabilizer to his jeep?
I agree. But Im sure everyone was assuming he had death wobble or something similar and was trying to fix it with an extra stabilizer. Thats what I though anyway, until I read the replies.
__________________
Favorite quote, Thanks GoldenSahara00 "not many people do it. most of the guys who do do it, don't sit on the computer and talk/write about it, they do it then go wheel"
solman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
MikeMTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: If only I knew....
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via AIM to MikeMTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman View Post
I think he meant the oem stabilizer not the steering box.
Ahh, makes more sense I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman375 View Post
I've noticed on here that whenever someone asks which order they should buy parts or if they ask if everyone thinks whatever will look ok, usually people say "it's your jeep do what YOU like." Now this guy asks about a dual stabilizer not mentioning anything else and you give him a hard time telling him something is wrong with his ride. Is it not ok for him to do what he likes or wants to his jeep? Is it hurting anyone else if he adds another stabilizer to his jeep?
Nothing that I said will stop him from doing what he really wants. However, the entire concept of a forum is to hear multiple opinions, and multiple points of view.
MikeMTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Victoria, Tx
Posts: 80
Alright guys with this "death wobble" as it is so put. I eliminate that undesirable oscillation by reducing caster and 0 toe. With that said, Ive always installed duals on my heavy trucks with no problem. Im a fan of Sky Jacker simply because they do what works. No smoke and mirrors. I got the info I needed by the placement of this post. As we are all very well aware of, OEM is a basic engineering design that rarely proves itself reliable short or long term. The aftermarket industry dominates on certain aspects of vehicle corrections. Some of the majors are suspension and steering. Dual steering stabilizers do serve a viable function. If the steering box gives up well there you go, another engineering failure. Make it better and move on.
1c62nv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
2003x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman375 View Post
I've noticed on here that whenever someone asks which order they should buy parts or if they ask if everyone thinks whatever will look ok, usually people say "it's your jeep do what YOU like." Now this guy asks about a dual stabilizer not mentioning anything else and you give him a hard time telling him something is wrong with his ride. Is it not ok for him to do what he likes or wants to his jeep? Is it hurting anyone else if he adds another stabilizer to his jeep?
I couldn't agree more with you. Unless your running what another member (who's opinion is gold) tells you to run and spend insane amounts of cash, and cut up your jeep so it looks like sh*t, just to make other members happy and "fit in" in this crowd, your opinion is means nothing on these sites.
Like the few on here that do what they want and could care less what others think or say, I tip my hat to you.

So now,
I have run a dual kit for over 6 years now, and never once had an issue, or a steering box over heat. The dual kit has made my steering tighter, and I am very happy with it.
__________________
HP D30, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, 4" RC Long Arm, 1" BL, 35" Toyo MT's.
My Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...-build-944608/
2003x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
2003x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMTJ View Post
Ahh, makes more sense I guess.



Nothing that I said will stop him from doing what he really wants. However, the entire concept of a forum is to hear multiple opinions, and multiple points of view.
Right - unless your running Currie, JKS, Savvy, flat fenders and a 2" lift with 35s and Dana 60's front and rear with ARB lockers, and destroy your jeep in the process, you dont fit in here with other members.





Sorry.. I haven't had my Jimmy Dean breakfast yet.
__________________
HP D30, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, 4" RC Long Arm, 1" BL, 35" Toyo MT's.
My Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...-build-944608/
2003x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
In a trailer in the woods

WF Supporting Member
 
Barrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater downtown Brownsville,Kentucky
Posts: 39,961
Send a message via AIM to Barrie Send a message via Yahoo to Barrie
Play nice people, and stick to topic.
__________________
2006 Unlimited Soft Top


Skillfully disguised as a responsible adult


Barrie is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 30,887
Images: 2
Dual stabilizers are a bad idea for a TJ. #1 they aren't needed even for 37" tires, let alone 33" tires. #2, they just make your power steering pump have to work harder which can make the PS fluid get hot and reduce (!) its ability to turn the tires. A hot steering system as can happen on a tight twisty trail can make steering very tough and dual stabilzers will just make it easier for the system to get overheated.

Knowledgeable experienced Jeepers don't run dual steering stabilizers.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Dual stabilizers are a bad idea for a TJ. #1 they aren't needed even for 37" tires, let alone 33" tires. #2, they just make your power steering pump have to work harder which can make the PS fluid get hot and reduce (!) its ability to turn the tires. A hot steering system as can happen on a tight twisty trail can make steering very tough and dual stabilzers will just make it easier for the system to get overheated.

Knowledgeable experienced Jeepers don't run dual steering stabilizers.
X2

You dont need 2. They arent just opinions they are a matter of fact, like Jerry stated, especially on 33's. If you want to have a better steering.stabilizer run a better aftermarket brand, not two skyjunkers. And that is my opinion, this a forum and thats what you get on them take it or leave it.
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1c62nv View Post
Im not having problems, Im just trying to gain a little better support on the 33s with the V8 conversion. People also told me double front shocks is a bad idea 200k miles ago on my other 4x4. Just looking to put duals on my TJ. Any brands anyone using? That little POS oem oil leaking junk does not last.
Good luck finding people that are using them...because its pretty uncommon on the TJ. In most cases its a rookie thing for people new to jeeps like most have mentioned, because its not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1c62nv View Post
Alright guys with this "death wobble" as it is so put. I eliminate that undesirable oscillation by reducing caster and 0 toe. With that said, Ive always installed duals on my heavy trucks with no problem. Im a fan of Sky Jacker simply because they do what works. No smoke and mirrors. I got the info I needed by the placement of this post. As we are all very well aware of, OEM is a basic engineering design that rarely proves itself reliable short or long term. The aftermarket industry dominates on certain aspects of vehicle corrections. Some of the majors are suspension and steering. Dual steering stabilizers do serve a viable function. If the steering box gives up well there you go, another engineering failure. Make it better and move on.
If you want to make it better, make it better, dont load it up with a bunch of crap. If you are worried, install a better/bigger steering box with a good single stabilizer and quality links (DL & tie rod)

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 JK Dual Battery Setup LBrito JK General Discussion Forum 21 09-10-2012 05:36 AM
Difference between freedom top and Dual Top option blunted JK General Discussion Forum 5 02-26-2011 12:53 PM
Any Reviews on Dual Steering Stabilizers? BigMike General Jeep Discussion 10 11-29-2010 03:19 PM
Warn Dual Beam off road lights diablo_jk55 Classifieds Archive 3 11-13-2010 12:18 PM
Is dual steering stabilizers overkill? BigMike YJ General Discussion Forum 4 05-16-2006 10:41 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC