need some more power - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
brendend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 828
Images: 1
need some more power

id like to get a little more power out of the 4.0. ive been looking at the edge trail jammer with throttle body, now i know you all say they're b.s but i've seen some dyno results and they have gains 20-25 more and 30-35 more ft-lbs. is there something else i can do to gain this kind of power or some more for a decent price? i don't want to re-gear right now, i have 373s and don't want to hurt my fuel economy to much.

brendend is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendend View Post
id like to get a little more power out of the 4.0. ive been looking at the edge trail jammer with throttle body, now i know you all say they're b.s but i've seen some dyno results and they have gains 20-25 more and 30-35 more ft-lbs. is there something else i can do to gain this kind of power or some more for a decent price? i don't want to re-gear right now, i have 373s and don't want to hurt my fuel economy to much.
think about. regear costs ~$1200 and you notice a huge difference. or spend $1200 on bolt on crap, and notice no difference.

for my money, i'll choose regearing.

if you don't want to regear, then live with the suckage....

UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
xloudnproud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburg
Posts: 128
I agree... I did all the bolt on cold air intake (which there is no such thing as long as its under the hood), throttle body spacer, exhaust, thermostat, programmer ( which I sold after two weeks becuase no noticeable difference and put toward my regear) and untill I did my regear there was no seat of the pants difference noticed untill gears were exchanged. I dont care what numbers are thrown around or claimed by anyone its nothing untill you regear.
xloudnproud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Irongrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave
gears are the single best thing you can do to a jeep in terms of performance. they already have a good flow in and out of the 4.0.
__________________
4421
Irongrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
bucsman76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 67
Do 3.73 gear come standard in 2004 TJ's? What type of gearing should I use to get better mpg...I hate all this 10% Ethanol crap in Vegas.
bucsman76 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Racer38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsman76 View Post
Do 3.73 gear come standard in 2004 TJ's? What type of gearing should I use to get better mpg...I hate all this 10% Ethanol crap in Vegas.
Not sure about 2004, but the 3.73 gears in 2005 was an added option with the 4 speed auto. On the window sticker it says 3.07 standard gearing.
Racer38 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #7
Newb
 
Akdirtracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wasilla alaska
Posts: 9
Banks has developed a turbo for the 4.0. I called and talked to the tech rep and his words were the kit is designed and awaiting 50 state emissions approval. I asked what the trail manners were gonna be like? He said its designed to spool quickly at a low rpm and on test mules was an amazing performance gain. He took my name and phone number and said everyone who has showed interest will be contacted when the cert process is completed. Hopefully at that time they will release dyno numbers. Save your money for the re gear and a turbo. Should be fun..
Akdirtracer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Atthehop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW, NJ
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akdirtracer View Post
Banks has developed a turbo for the 4.0. I called and talked to the tech rep and his words were the kit is designed and awaiting 50 state emissions approval. I asked what the trail manners were gonna be like? He said its designed to spool quickly at a low rpm and on test mules was an amazing performance gain. He took my name and phone number and said everyone who has showed interest will be contacted when the cert process is completed. Hopefully at that time they will release dyno numbers. Save your money for the re gear and a turbo. Should be fun..
Did you really think he was going to say it was a piece of junk, He is going to give it raves to sell it. Personally I would want to see it on someone else's jeep before spending my kids inheritance.
__________________
Retired my 94 YJ 4cyl 5spd @ 200K
Now in a 04 TJ 4cyl 5spd CV @120K+
Both as a commuter vehicle in NW, NJ
April 2012.downsized and now a 99er.
Atthehop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
Banks is also beginning to develop a vey poor reputation with their diesel performance upgrades. The very best thing you can do to get the kind of #s your looking for is to replace the 4.0 with a V8, LS1, or if you got the big bucks, a hemi.... turbo on a 4.0? sounds cool, but from idle? Not happening,,, probably till you get the RPMs up above 2500, then say goodbye to MPGs, If you really want more from idle and reasonable fuel mileage, then go with a compressor/blower, but still, it's an inline big clunky 4.0. I'll suffer the low HP and low torque, and garnish 200,000 plus miles of reliability. Or swap in that chevy small block..
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendend View Post
id like to get a little more power out of the 4.0. ive been looking at the edge trail jammer with throttle body, now i know you all say they're b.s but i've seen some dyno results and they have gains 20-25 more and 30-35 more ft-lbs. i
I could cook dyno sheets to show a huge gain for anything. Dont believe any vendor produced dyno pulls, or even magazine hp ratings. I tested an intake that said something like 15hp, but it was really near 0 and not statistically significant. Jeep Wrangler 18 dyno pulls for CAI testing - Trick Tuners Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akdirtracer View Post
Banks has developed a turbo for the 4.0. I called and talked to the tech rep and his words were the kit is designed and awaiting 50 state emissions approval. I asked what the trail manners were gonna be like? He said its designed to spool quickly at a low rpm and on test mules was an amazing performance gain. He took my name and phone number and said everyone who has showed interest will be contacted when the cert process is completed. Hopefully at that time they will release dyno numbers. Save your money for the re gear and a turbo. Should be fun..
They've been talking about this for about a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
Banks is also beginning to develop a vey poor reputation with their diesel performance upgrades. The very best thing you can do to get the kind of #s your looking for is to replace the 4.0 with a V8, LS1, or if you got the big bucks, a hemi.... turbo on a 4.0? sounds cool, but from idle? Not happening,,, probably till you get the RPMs up above 2500, then say goodbye to MPGs, If you really want more from idle and reasonable fuel mileage, then go with a compressor/blower, but still, it's an inline big clunky 4.0. I'll suffer the low HP and low torque, and garnish 200,000 plus miles of reliability. Or swap in that chevy small block..
A 5.7 hemi is the best option, but a turbo 4.0 would be fun too. Why would you need boost at idle? A small turbo can spool at really low rpms, but would need throttle input for sure. If you need more power at a no throttle idle, you need a lower T-case, not engine mods. A turbo is far better than a blower in all cases, especially mpg. Only a PD blower can boost at any rpm. Centri blowers have similar boost curves to turbos, but worse.
__________________
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm
I could cook dyno sheets to show a huge gain for anything. Dont believe any vendor produced dyno pulls, or even magazine hp ratings. I tested an intake that said something like 15hp, but it was really near 0 and not statistically significant. Jeep Wrangler 18 dyno pulls for CAI testing - Trick Tuners Forums

They've been talking about this for about a year now.

A 5.7 hemi is the best option, but a turbo 4.0 would be fun too. Why would you need boost at idle? A small turbo can spool at really low rpms, but would need throttle input for sure. If you need more power at a no throttle idle, you need a lower T-case, not engine mods. A turbo is far better than a blower in all cases, especially mpg. Only a PD blower can boost at any rpm. Centri blowers have similar boost curves to turbos, but worse.
Good info on most, but I did say from idle, not at idle .. off roading I'm very rarely over 17 or 18 hundred RPMs. Usually not much more than just off idle. On the street I am a progressive shifter, the first two gears shifting just off idle, then in third and fourth begin to wrap it up a bit,,very rarely exceeding 24 or 25 hundred RPMs .. I just don't think there would be any benefit to installing a turbo. I've seem the power curves, and if one wants a ton more grunt, and lots more HP in the " normal " operating RPM ranges in the 4.0, it just isn't happening.. Instead of nickle and diming ones self crazy looking for low RPM, HP and Torque, it's just much more efficient to swap in more displacement.. LS1 is by far and away the best option, more aftermarket support, and tech aftermarket support than any other engine. Chrysler has a lot to learn about this, as one would think the hemi swap to be a no brainer, unfortunately, it doesn't just plug and play as the Chevy swap does. Sure, a turbo on a 4.0 is a novelty, and might be fun, but just not practical, nor efficient. That's just my opinion, for my driving style, not for everybody.
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 26
You Gotta start with gears. It is the best way to get back to how the jeep is suppose to perform. Then address the fact that it is underpowered. I did it back words so I know. Once I corrected gears for my 35s I was able to not only idle off road but use 6th gear on the highway. That being said I have the Hesco 62mm Throttle body w/ a spacer as well. The Banks air-in and air-out set up w/ a super chip programmer as well. Needless to say I am on my 2nd set of rear axles as well. There is a balance somewhere....
ScoDog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
Good info on most, but I did say from idle, not at idle .. off roading I'm very rarely over 17 or 18 hundred RPMs. Usually not much more than just off idle. On the street I am a progressive shifter, the first two gears shifting just off idle, then in third and fourth begin to wrap it up a bit,,very rarely exceeding 24 or 25 hundred RPMs .. I just don't think there would be any benefit to installing a turbo. I've seem the power curves, and if one wants a ton more grunt, and lots more HP in the " normal " operating RPM ranges in the 4.0, it just isn't happening.. Instead of nickle and diming ones self crazy looking for low RPM, HP and Torque, it's just much more efficient to swap in more displacement.. LS1 is by far and away the best option, more aftermarket support, and tech aftermarket support than any other engine. Chrysler has a lot to learn about this, as one would think the hemi swap to be a no brainer, unfortunately, it doesn't just plug and play as the Chevy swap does. Sure, a turbo on a 4.0 is a novelty, and might be fun, but just not practical, nor efficient. That's just my opinion, for my driving style, not for everybody.
You can size a turbo for any application. If you want it to be in the efficient range beaten idle and 3000 RPMs, you can do that but it will choke at higher RPMs. But if you never shift above 2500 RPMs, then you don't need a power adder, you just need to wind it out a bit.
__________________
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #14
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,333
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendend View Post
id like to get a little more power out of the 4.0. ive been looking at the edge trail jammer with throttle body, now i know you all say they're b.s but i've seen some dyno results and they have gains 20-25 more and 30-35 more ft-lbs. is there something else i can do to gain this kind of power or some more for a decent price? i don't want to re-gear right now, i have 373s and don't want to hurt my fuel economy to much.
Don't waste your $$$ on that kind of stuff. WHEN they achieve those gains, and they don't usually, they only do at wide open throttle and at or near redline RPMs. While you might help your times at the dragstrip with something like that, you won't notice it on the street or trail.

As others suggested, the surest way to REAL gains is to regear to an axle ratio that is more appropriate to your tire size, engine size, and transmission type.

So what size tire are you running, what model year TJ do you have, and what transmission do you have? From that, we can tell you a good axle ratio to regear to that you can start saving for. And running the correct axle ratio will put your engine into its power band that will help it to achieve its maximum potential MPG. Higher RPMs can actually improve MPG when you're undergeared and the engine is lugging from too large of a tire running on an engine running at too low of an RPM.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
Jeeponator

WF Supporting Member
 
Michigunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Higher RPMs can actually improve MPG when you're undergeared and the engine is lugging from too large of a tire running on an engine running at too low of an RPM.
I'm hoping that is my case. Currently running 32's with 3.73s. At 70 mph I am right at 2k rpm with my 4 speed auto. Definitely lugs if I drop below 70 in OD. Going to 33" tires and 4.88s. I know I will have better performance and hopefully no loss to the 14 mpg I get now.
__________________
Michigunman

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Michigunman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
brendend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: colorado springs
Posts: 828
Images: 1
its a 03 4 speed auto on 32s with 373s
brendend is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
Maybe this will help a bit.. The torque of the 4.0 is very flat, that's why it has so much grunt at relatively low RPMS.. I'm running 4:11s with 33s and have no problems keeping it in the sweet spot, where HP meets torque.. Jerry's correct, if your not able to keep it running within the sweet spot of the power band, it is time to regear.. or, swap in a V8,, or a 3bt, but the diesels sweet spot is between 14 and 17 hundred RPMs, then you'de have to go up to 3:07s .. It's all relative.. BTW, at 68 mph mines at about 2250 RPMs,,,
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
I'm running 4:11s with 33s and have no problems keeping it in the sweet spot, where HP meets torque..
HP never meets TQ on the jeep because it happens at 5252 rpms. The "sweet spot" is between 1700 and 4500 rpms. If your not accelerating with the pedal to the floor, and your not at 4000-4500 rpms, you need to be in a lower gear. It seems that too many people that drive manuals are afraid to rev them up when they want to accelerate. When you floor an auto, it will downshift.
__________________
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm

HP never meets TQ on the jeep because it happens at 5252 rpms. The "sweet spot" is between 1700 and 4500 rpms. If your not accelerating with the pedal to the floor, and your not at 4000-4500 rpms, you need to be in a lower gear. It seems that too many people that drive manuals are afraid to rev them up when they want to accelerate. When you floor an auto, it will downshift.
The graph you have posted is obviously depicting torque and HP ratings for a automobile diesel engine. A whole different game than a gasoline engine.. The peak torque on the 4.0 is reached, coincidentally at around 2200 RPMs, which is, if geared properly, between 65 and 70 mph. after that it drops off a bit, and flatlines, then falls off the proverbial cliff, as do all gassers and diesels at very high RPMS. Unlike big truck diesels, that utilize progressive transmissions, gassers have about 500 RPMs between each gear. Why anyone would wrap up much higher than 27 or 2800 RPMs and grab the next higher gear at the peak torque rating is beyond me, unless they enjoy blowing fuel out the stack, or enjoy beating their engines, literally to an early demise.. It is all about efficiency. If you drive your engine efficiently, you will maintain peak performance levels well past the 200,000 mile mark.. If more folks understood the basic principals of internal combustion engines, diesels would be much more popular than they are, as they reach peak torque almost from idle, and maintain it thru out the operating band. However, in large modern diesels, such as the DD15, peak torque is archived at around 1200 RPMs , and fall off the cliff after 1700 or so RPMs. In older diesels it used to be 17/21. A much different animal than a tuned VW TDI .. I hope that we don't further confuse the original poster of this thread.. If he wants more grunt, and better efficiency, re-gear...
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
Folks have been trying to get more horsepower and torque out of internal combustion engines since they were first invented.

You can hang all the hardware on an engine that promises to deliver more from less as you like, but the truth of the matter, in my honest and humble opinion, is that dollar for dollar there is no substitute for cubic inches.
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic
Folks have been trying to get more horsepower and torque out of internal combustion engines since they were first invented.

You can hang all the hardware on an engine that promises to deliver more from less as you like, but the truth of the matter, in my honest and humble opinion, is that dollar for dollar there is no substitute for cubic inches.
X2. ,) thats why I posted the V8 specs next to the I 6.
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
X2. ,) thats why I posted the V8 specs next to the I 6.
You got it!
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
div4gold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
Folks have been trying to get more horsepower and torque out of internal combustion engines since they were first invented.

You can hang all the hardware on an engine that promises to deliver more from less as you like, but the truth of the matter, in my honest and humble opinion, is that dollar for dollar there is no substitute for cubic inches.
That's it, bore it, stroke it, bigger valves ,high lift cam, port and polish, roller rocker arms, free flowing exhaust. Your goal is to make a bigger air compressor out of it. Either that or buy a bigger air compressor and swap out.
__________________
2006 TJ Unlimited, stock.
div4gold is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by div4gold View Post
That's it, bore it, stroke it, bigger valves ,high lift cam, port and polish, roller rocker arms, free flowing exhaust. Your goal is to make a bigger air compressor out of it. Either that or buy a bigger air compressor and swap out.
Gosh, "I love that kind of talk."
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
LS1 5.3 Gen III
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53
LS1 5.3 Gen III
Oh Yeh! Seems to be the swap of choice for the guys over at Novak Conversions:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...ion_III_v8.htm

Here is a C5 LS1 in a TJ.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Best Always 🍀,
Celtic

___________

"Peej" - 2011 Wrangler Sport S Two Door, Quad Black, Six Speed
Celtic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,588
Been the swap of choice for a very long time. . Novak pioneered adapters, and made the swapping process affordable for us all.. The beauty of Novak, and the LS1, is that it is virtually " plug + play ". Provided the rest of your drivetrain is strong enough.. I'm in..
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 911
regear it all you want it is still a 6cyl engine and only better than a 4cyl . Think V8.
__________________
05 TJ Rubicon 3" BDS, Bilstein 5100, Currie Currectlync , Savvy arms/Metalcloak Duroflex joints, Rokmen BL, 33"Cooper STT's, Mc Track Bar
03 Dodge Ram Reg Cab Short bed ,Hemi , 3" lift ,35" BFG ,Bilstein 5100 ,Super Chips ,
Gary2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
jgorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
The graph you have posted is obviously depicting torque and HP ratings for a automobile diesel engine. A whole different game than a gasoline engine.. The peak torque on the 4.0 is reached, coincidentally at around 2200 RPMs, which is, if geared properly, between 65 and 70 mph. after that it drops off a bit, and flatlines, then falls off the proverbial cliff, as do all gassers and diesels at very high RPMS.
No, that is my 4.0L jeep, on my dyno, during my intake testing. Peak torque is between 3 and 4K rpms. I'm not sure where you are getting your info.
__________________
my 06 LJ rubicon
2.5" SL, 1" BL, DIY highline, 35s with double beadlocks.
jgorm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
No, that is my 4.0L jeep, on my dyno


Per Jeep's specifications, peak torque is 235 ft-lbs @ 3200rpms, peak HP is 190 hp @ 4600rpms.

UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power Lock issue on a 2007 Wrangler (Door panel switch) rhouseholder JK General Discussion Forum 2 01-02-2014 10:18 PM
Need some detailing advice Supercop260 JK General Discussion Forum 10 03-15-2012 11:04 AM
cigarette power outlet broken lovethetrails5 TJ General Discussion Forum 3 03-14-2012 05:34 PM
Lifetime jeeper, but new to yj's. Some common questions... Escobarclan YJ Tech Forum 3 03-14-2012 05:13 PM
Gettin tires and have some questions Cjacks6 Tires & Wheels 2 03-14-2012 01:31 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC