First off, gotta love these owners forums. HUGE knowledge base of people with real world experience.
About me; I am an ASE Mechanic, primarily Diesel Engine specialist. Currently I am working as a field service technician for a concrete paving company. Starting to forget some of what I've learned in general automotive and gas burners since I rarely work on them anymore.
The CFO (wife) and I just picked up a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited, 33k miles, Hard Top, Manual, 4.0 I6 engine (I thought Jeep switched to a V6 in '06). It has after market control arms and springs (SkyJacker), Shocks (explorer?), OEM/Stock steering stabilizer, ProComp AT 32 x 11.5 x 15 tires and what appear to be after market wheels (simulated bead locker, alloy). I do no know if it is lifted or how to check. Never got into that whole lifting & big tire thing. I tweak engine performance.
We have a few issues already.
1. Death wobble at highway speeds, unable to duplicate on demand. I've read the DW sticky, and will be going over the front end components and upgrading that OEM stabilizer this weekend.
2. Front right tire bald - .002" (looks like typical over inflation wear), other 3 at 50% or better all showing typical aggressive tire tread cupping from lack of rotation, spare is new. Any known issues other than inflation that would cause this (isolated bald tire)?
3. The engine to me runs hot. 210*. Radiator is cooling OK. 210 in, 150 out. Fan clutch may be worn, will be checking that as well. It does not look restricted. Extended Life Coolant.
4. Manual transmission may or may not be getting hot. The rubber boot around the stick gets way hot (115*). IR temp gun shows the transmission at 160* after 15 miles of highway driving. Is this normal?
5. Rear main seal leaking. I've read that it could be due to the seal not playing well with a different brand of oil. Not leaving puddles yet, just a wet streak down the transmission cover and inside. This is going to be a wait and see if it cures it self or gets worse. I can do the job, just need the instructions and torque specs. Factory manual on order.
Beyond that, is there anything that I need to watch for, tweak myself to prevent problems or any other known problems that may arise?
Performance and mileage - any tips or tricks beyond less aggressive tires to increase mileage?
I also ultimately want to get at least another 50hp out of the engine. Living in Colorado, it would be nice to be able to do the speed limit going over the mountain passes, and have the power to get back up to speed when you get caught behind a slow mover. Any suggestions there short of a turbo?
Thank you in advance for your answers and help. If you have Diesel issues, PM me and we'll see if I can help you out in return.