Bought a '99 SE about a month ago. 54K miles, 2.5 L, 5-speed manual. I bought it from a dealer and I didn't get any service records with it. So I needed to start a baseline service history. I have seen a lot of threads here about what oils/fluids to use, so for the record here's what I did.
Quick question first:
Does anyone know where the heck the clutch bleeder is? I can't find one anywhere around the slave cylinder.
Replaced all fluids except hyd. clutch fluid (see above), and PS fluid.
Bled brakes with mityvac, replaced brake fluid with Prestone DOT 3. I did this because 10 year old brake fluid is bound to have water in it, plus air builds up in the system over time. Brakes are nice and firm now.
Replaced gear oil in front and rear differentials. Used about 3.5 qts of Valvoline Durablend 80w-90 synthetic blend gear oil to do both diffs. Used Permatex blue RTV to re-seal the covers.
Replaced Transmission oil (AX-5). Used about 3.5 qts of Royal Purple Max Gear 80w-90 GL-4/5. Lot of discussion here about GL-5 gear oil and synchronizer wear. I've read the GL-5's have a high sulphur content that eats the brass synchros. Maybe, maybe not. I've also read that it's an internet myth, some say only the early GL-5's would eat brass, some say the sulphur will only eat brass if the oil gets heated to 250 F. At any rate I haven't found a first person account with photos of a tranny worn out due to using GL-5 gear oil where GL-3 is called for. Probably the safest choice here is the Redline MT-90, I couldn't get it locally and didn't have time to wait for shipping. The Royal Purple was readily available and is supposed to be safe for yellow metals, although it does not specifically say so on the bottle. I paid about $16/qt for this, which is about 3 times what regular gear oil costs. Cheaper than a new transmission though. Hasn't gotten very cold where I live yet, but did get down to about 30 F the other night, tranny shifted smoothly at that temp.
Replaced transfer case fluid, about 2 qts of Castrol synthetic ATF +4.
Replaced radiator and heater hoses, thermostat. Refilled coolant with about 2 gallons of Peak pre-mixed anti-freeze. Hoses didn't really look bad, but they may have been the originals (10 Years old), so I replaced them.
Replaced serpentine belt, The belt didn't look that bad either but again it may be 10 year old rubber. I don't have a belt tension guage, I just tightened it so it feels about right. I can deflect the belt about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in the middle of the longest span using moderate pressure.
Changed engine oil. 4 Qts Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40, mobile 1 filter. I've read pretty good things about the Rotella T oil, plus at $20/Gal it's pretty cheap for a full synthetic oil. I've been using it in my motorcycle, 2 tractors, and wife's car for a few years now with no ill effects.
I did this work in my barn over a period of 2 days. I didn't add up the receipts but I would guess I spent about $250 - $300.