New tire question an help - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
97Sahara1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 27
New tire question an help

I posted this in the wheel and tire section as well, but as more people read this than the tire I thought I would try my luck here as well.

Hey all I'm looking for some help with my new tire decision. Right now I'm just trying to get some info as all of my excess cash was put into my recent purchase of the jeep in question. Besides for some wiring for aftermarket lights and stereo, everything is stock on this jeep (as far as I can tell), no lift, stock 15 inch wheels, and P225/75/R15 tires. There are no mechanical problems, but right now the jeep looks like it's riding on tires meant for the accord I had before it. I'm looking to put something on that looks like it's meant for a jeep and will allow me to do some mild off-roading.

The problem is that I'm a complete beginner when it comes to anything like this, this is my first wrangler and first jeep. So after doing some research digging through the forums, I've found that I'm probably looking for something in the 30-32" range, but I don't know what width to look for, or if it will require spacing and how much, and is that something I will have to do on my own or will the people that mount the tires do that? Also what type of tire should I be looking at? I've heard good things about the Bfg AT's and the Goodyear Wranglers, but are they more tire than I need? Lastly someones post that I read said that they had to change the tachometer due to the increase in tire size, would this be something that I would need to do? And if so is it something that is DIY? My mech skills arent the best but my gf's dad is good with vehicals and he likes to help me out.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

97Sahara1325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
97Sahara1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 27
My wheels and tires
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1587494166.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	61216  

97Sahara1325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
MikeMTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: If only I knew....
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via AIM to MikeMTJ
I have Yokohama Geolander ATS and they are pretty good tires. They handle the snow and rain very well. They are incredibly aggressive though. The tires are wearing very well, and I really think they could go 60k miles easily.

Mine are 31x10.5 and fit in there very well. I had them before my 2"BB, and they didn't seem to stuffed.
MikeMTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
idiot magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 537
Check out treadwright tires. Not too far from you and some great deals for great tires for people on a budget and even for some that aren't.
My 285/75/16 tires were $500 total including shipping for a tire that looks and acts just like the older non kevlar version of the Goodyear MTR.
Get a 2" budget boost and you can run 32's. Try to avoid the huge body lifts, but the 1.25" is the one you should try to give the 32's a bit more room.

Good luck.
idiot magnet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
jeepgarza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Faribault, Minnesota
Posts: 297
i just put on some 30 x 9.5 x 15 on i believe stock wrangler rims, but i do have about a 3 in lift. they are firestone wilderness a/t II i bought them for the MN winters hoping they do better them my 33's in the snow. ill post pics tomorrow.

also they look pretty nice with the black letters out. check out craigslist, i bought these(4) they have about 50% for 90 bucks!
__________________
1997 Wrangler sport 4in. lift 33 km2's ford 8.8 rear 4.56 gears
jeepgarza is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
"Seamed Like a Good Idea

WF Supporting Member
 
TJWenatchee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 1,200
Images: 29
I'm running Dick Cepick 31x10.50 on my 97 and the ran just fine before I ever added the 2.75" Suspension lift. O f course you don't have to purchese the Cepick tires but the point is 31" will run just fine with no mods.
__________________
See my TJ Build Page on Facebook
TJWenatchee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
97Sahara1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 27
Thanks for the help guys, yesterday I looked and saw that my wheels are 15x7. Will they fit a 31x10.5 or will I have to go with something not as wide? Also from what you all have been saying I've gathered that I won't have to add any spacers to fit the tire, am I right in my assumption?
97Sahara1325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
MikeMTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: If only I knew....
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via AIM to MikeMTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Sahara1325 View Post
Thanks for the help guys, yesterday I looked and saw that my wheels are 15x7. Will they fit a 31x10.5 or will I have to go with something not as wide? Also from what you all have been saying I've gathered that I won't have to add any spacers to fit the tire, am I right in my assumption?
Your rims will be fine, and you will not need spacer.

You might have to adjust your steering stops, but that's about it.
TJ Steering Stops
MikeMTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
97Sahara1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMTJ View Post
Your rims will be fine, and you will not need spacer.

You might have to adjust your steering stops, but that's about it.
TJ Steering Stops
That's great news. Will the change in size be small enough to not have to touch the tachometer/spedometer/odometer? Again, thank you all for your help here.
97Sahara1325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
MikeMTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: If only I knew....
Posts: 2,113
Send a message via AIM to MikeMTJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Sahara1325

That's great news. Will the change in size be small enough to not have to touch the tachometer/spedometer/odometer? Again, thank you all for your help here.
The change in tire size will probably throw your speedo off. You can get replacement speedo gears, and they are extremely easy to install.
MikeMTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
NHWRANGLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 169
bfg all terrains are awsome. the look good and they are not to loud or aggressive but that are an excellent tire in all conditions imo. 31 would be the biggest id go for a stock jeep. i have the bgf At 33s and i love them.
__________________
its a jeep thing. You wouldn't understand.

When in doubt, ask Jerry.
NHWRANGLER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
burton160w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Underneath my TJ
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
'I'm running Dick Cepick 31x10.50 on my 97 and the ran just fine before I ever added the 2.75" Suspension lift. O f course you don't have to purchese the Cepick tires but the point is 31" will run just fine with no mods.
Course you don't have to buy Dick Cepicks, ya know if you don't like tires with aggressive tread, good wear, amazing grip, and compliments all around traction isn't for everybody ya know

I've also had a set of 31 BFG ATs. They looked like hell and drove like it too, but the wear was long-lasting. The traction was awful and I've had my fair share of slips and slides. I'll never buy another set, but there are people who swear by those tires.

Your rims will be fine and you won't need spacers. Just do the bumpstop technique mentioned. If you really care about your speedo gear (I use my cellphones GPS), the swap takes five minutes. Go underneath your Jeep. Look at your transfer case from the rear towards the front and feel for a plastic plug with a cable coming out of it. It's basically remove the bolt from that assembly pull out the unit and swap the gear then put the plug back in.
__________________
It's got a Willy's body, a Chevy engine, Ford axles, GM transmission, and Dodge steering components... it must be a Wrangler.
burton160w is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
sonofabeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Green Cove Springs, Fl.
Posts: 1,702
I had BFG 31s on my stock Jeep for the last few years. I only have a 4 banger though and I could really tell a difference in performance and they were loud.
They finally wore out and I just got some 235-75-15 Good Year Wrangler Radials.
I feel like my engine is thanking me. Two words.....Fifth Gear!!!!
If you don't have a 4 banger I'd go with some sort of AT 31s
__________________
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead"
sonofabeach is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
NHWRANGLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 169
i love my all terrians. i guess evryones different. i havent had them for to long so we will see another moth down the road. i like them much better than my old courser at2s.
__________________
its a jeep thing. You wouldn't understand.

When in doubt, ask Jerry.
NHWRANGLER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
necromancer_tat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk Virginia
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHWRANGLER View Post
bfg all terrains are awsome. the look good and they are not to loud or aggressive but that are an excellent tire in all conditions imo. 31 would be the biggest id go for a stock jeep. i have the bgf At 33s and i love them.
I've had BFG A/T's on 3 different vehicles, a 72 k5 blazer in 33x12.50, an 87 suburban in 33x12.50, and currently on a 2003 Rubicon. I've not had good experience off roading with them at all. My Rubicon got stuck in wet grass, I had to lock it into 4wd just to get off the lawn. My suburban dug itself down to the axles while wheeling on the beach in North Carolina, I had to get pulled out by a 4cyl toyota pickup, that was embarassing... I don't know what BFG means when they say "All Terain" but I've had bad luck with them off road.
necromancer_tat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
necromancer_tat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk Virginia
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Sahara1325 View Post
I posted this in the wheel and tire section as well, but as more people read this than the tire I thought I would try my luck here as well.

Hey all I'm looking for some help with my new tire decision. Right now I'm just trying to get some info as all of my excess cash was put into my recent purchase of the jeep in question. Besides for some wiring for aftermarket lights and stereo, everything is stock on this jeep (as far as I can tell), no lift, stock 15 inch wheels, and P225/75/R15 tires. There are no mechanical problems, but right now the jeep looks like it's riding on tires meant for the accord I had before it. I'm looking to put something on that looks like it's meant for a jeep and will allow me to do some mild off-roading.

The problem is that I'm a complete beginner when it comes to anything like this, this is my first wrangler and first jeep. So after doing some research digging through the forums, I've found that I'm probably looking for something in the 30-32" range, but I don't know what width to look for, or if it will require spacing and how much, and is that something I will have to do on my own or will the people that mount the tires do that? Also what type of tire should I be looking at? I've heard good things about the Bfg AT's and the Goodyear Wranglers, but are they more tire than I need? Lastly someones post that I read said that they had to change the tachometer due to the increase in tire size, would this be something that I would need to do? And if so is it something that is DIY? My mech skills arent the best but my gf's dad is good with vehicals and he likes to help me out.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
A 31x10.50 Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, or BFG KM2 would be a good tire for you to cut your teeth on, they will last a good while before needing to be replaced, giving you time to upgrade your Jeep in other areas if you get bit by the off road bug.
necromancer_tat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
"Seamed Like a Good Idea

WF Supporting Member
 
TJWenatchee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Near Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 1,200
Images: 29
Ok, exactly I am running Dick Cepick Mountain Cat Radial Ta's 31x10.50 R15's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0807110944.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	61578  
__________________
See my TJ Build Page on Facebook
TJWenatchee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
97Sahara1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 27
Ok, I have been doing some research, and through a family member I can get a nice discount from Sears if I get the tires from them. I was looking on their website and they have a wide variety of A/T tires. I was hoping to get some opinions on the tires that interest me. Also all of the tires I'm listing come in both 30 and 31 and some come in 255 or 265 by 70 or 75.

Firestone Destination A/T

Goodyear Wrangler Slient Armor

Firestone Transforce A/T

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

General Tire Grabber A/T

Hankook Dynapro ATM.

Any opinions good and bad are appriciated here.
Thanks
97Sahara1325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Sahara1325
Ok, I have been doing some research, and through a family member I can get a nice discount from Sears if I get the tires from them. I was looking on their website and they have a wide variety of A/T tires. I was hoping to get some opinions on the tires that interest me. Also all of the tires I'm listing come in both 30 and 31 and some come in 255 or 265 by 70 or 75.

Firestone Destination A/T

Goodyear Wrangler Slient Armor

Firestone Transforce A/T

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

General Tire Grabber A/T

Hankook Dynapro ATM.

Any opinions good and bad are appriciated here.
Thanks
I have the Goodyear duratracs in the 33x12.50x15 size and love them. I haven't had any traction issues on the highway, wet roads, standing water, grass, gravel, 2ft of mud, aired down on the rocks at Rausch Creek, water crossing, and looking forward to see how they do in snow. They ride nice and smooth on the highway and have an aggressive look too. I think of you get them in 31x10.50x15 you'll be set.

__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
MCsquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 26
x2 on the Goodyear Duratracs. I just put 31s on my stock 97 and they look and perform good.
__________________
J.E.E.P. = Just Empty Every Pocket
MCsquared is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
97Sahara1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCsquared
x2 on the Goodyear Duratracs. I just put 31s on my stock 97 and they look and perform good.
Do you think I could bother you for a picture to see how they look w/o a lift?
97Sahara1325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
97Sahara1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 27
Also I looked up the build sheet and saw that it's a 3.55 axle ratio, is that the same thing as the gearing? And if so will I have to change that with 31" tires?
97Sahara1325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Sahara1325
Also I looked up the build sheet and saw that it's a 3.55 axle ratio, is that the same thing as the gearing? And if so will I have to change that with 31" tires?
Yes that is your gear ratio in the axles and no you wont have to change them for 31" tires. You WILL feel a slight power loss because of the tiny tires you have been running but it will probably be negligible at best.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
97Sahara1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertChaos

Yes that is your gear ratio in the axles and no you wont have to change them for 31" tires. You WILL feel a slight power loss because of the tiny tires you have been running but it will probably be negligible at best.
Not running them by choice, they are what came with the jeep when I bought it. I would have waited for one with more of the mods I want done already on it, but this one was underpriced by $1000 so I couldn't pass it up
97Sahara1325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Sahara1325

Not running them by choice, they are what came with the jeep when I bought it. I would have waited for one with more of the mods I want done already on it, but this one was underpriced by $1000 so I couldn't pass it up
Oh I completely get it! I think you'll love the look of 31s especially if you get a slightly more aggressive tread pattern such as the duratracs.
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
necromancer_tat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk Virginia
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertChaos View Post
Oh I completely get it! I think you'll love the look of 31s especially if you get a slightly more aggressive tread pattern such as the duratracs.

Plus 1 on the Duratracs! I wish I had them instead of my BFG A/T's!
necromancer_tat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wolf Lake, IL
Posts: 712
Loved my BFG ATs but I like my Duratracs better. Never going back.
JeepnJim is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wolf Lake, IL
Posts: 712
Plus they look badass.
JeepnJim is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnJim
Plus they look badass.
You wanna post up a picture of your whole Jeep so he can see how they look with 31s?
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
MCsquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 26
Here you go its a crappy picture with my phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110816_194236.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	63151  

__________________
J.E.E.P. = Just Empty Every Pocket
MCsquared is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire question/ stock tire gouge jeep2011mass JK General Discussion Forum 4 07-19-2011 01:52 PM
Tire Pressure Question bpm54 TJ General Discussion Forum 75 07-07-2011 09:15 PM
Spare tire question MTrucker182 TJ General Discussion Forum 2 06-27-2011 05:39 AM
vehicle laws- from the texas department of public safety web site busemans Texas Jeep Forum 1 04-28-2011 05:26 PM
Tire Size Question DocG2828 General Jeep Discussion 2 02-14-2007 03:20 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC