Octane Rating 87, 90, Or 92 ? ? ? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
i did not say if you up the compression.. i was strictly talking about energy in ethanol vs gasoline.
Ethanol can resist knocking much much better than octane can. From memory E85 compares to about 105 octane rating. (just did a research paper on alternative fuels 3 weeks ago for chemistry - any one want articles?)

Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
richp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pocono mountains
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
i did not say if you up the compression.. i was strictly talking about energy in ethanol vs gasoline.
Ethanol can resist knocking much much better than octane can. From memory E85 compares to about 105 octane rating. (just did a research paper on alternative fuels 3 weeks ago for chemistry - any one want articles?)
What was your determination, fermentation process or cellulolosic being the better of the two methods.

richp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Lol in my opinion, crops to fuel will never make it big. Reason being is it takes too much crops to make fuel. (from the article) In 06, 17% of the crops produced only made 2% of ethanol. This means that such a big amount of crops were used that only made 2% of ethanol.
Imagine we want to make more ethanol? what happens then? More crops needed.

In the article they were saying that using sugar canes to make ethanol will most likely be the best choice since its more efficient.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #34
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,276
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hey jerry, hows the prices down in TJ on gas ? Is there still a line to get across there. Saw on the news the other nite about a trucking company that was running across in texas and filling their trucks with $2 diesel, the feds stopped them on the second trip when they brought back a 500 gallon tank on a trailer. That tells me the mexican govt is subsidizing their nafta truckers with cheap fuel.
I dunno. I used to go across the border for cheap diesel when it was around .24 a gallon but that was years ago. The last time I was in Mexico I didn't notice the Pemex gas prices being all that cheap. I haven't driven into Mexico in several years though, it's too dangerous right now. There are kidnappings, Americans being shot, running gun battles between the cops/federales and drug dealers going on now so we're avoiding the Mexican border areas until things settle down again.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
There are kidnappings, Americans being shot, running gun battles between the cops/federales and drug dealers going on now so we're avoiding the Mexican border areas until things settle down again.
The problem is now they are starting to bring all that crap over here on American soil and our leaders are not doing anything.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
richp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pocono mountains
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I dunno. I used to go across the border for cheap diesel when it was around .24 a gallon but that was years ago. The last time I was in Mexico I didn't notice the Pemex gas prices being all that cheap. I haven't driven into Mexico in several years though, it's too dangerous right now. There are kidnappings, Americans being shot, running gun battles between the cops/federales and drug dealers going on now so we're avoiding the Mexican border areas until things settle down again.
Dam, guess going over for the 'maria and her donkey' show might not be a good idea anymore...
richp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
richp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pocono mountains
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
The problem is now they are starting to bring all that crap over here on American soil and our leaders are not doing anything.
Maybe it's part of bushes plan, invade and add a whole bunch more states to the flag...
richp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #38
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,276
Images: 2
Talking about how dangerous it is in the border area of Mexico, this just occurred in Tijuana, 15 drug gang members were just killed in a gun battle! Wow! I think it's going to be a while before we set foot in Mexico except maybe WAY south via a cruise ship or flight into somewhere like Cabo San Lucas at the very tip of Baja California.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080426/...exico_drugs_dc
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #39
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Now wouldnt it be nice if they step up like men and shoot at eachother and leave the civilians out of it lol. The other day. Some woman got shot in the chest because of couple bucks in her wallet. Couple days before that, some little girl got shot in a crossfire during a gang shooting. wtf.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
2much's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 529
Send a message via AIM to 2much
I was in Mexico last year, and the prices were about the same to what they were in the states at the time.
On the octane issue, I run 87 in the jeep, and 93 in the BMW, I was told ( and haven't researche this, so I can not vouch for the validity) but when you buy a car new, run the cheap gas and you will not have any problems with it, but once you pump your first tank of higher octane gas, you will from then on need to either buy the higher octane or will have some issues being as you engine has become accustomed to the higher octane
__________________
A conlusion is just the place where you got tired of thinking.
2much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Lol i've heard that for the RC gas cars but i dont think its true for other engines. All you have to do is disconnect the battery to clear ur computers memory.

That would be interesting to find if there are any facts supporting it.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #42
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 29,276
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
I was told ( and haven't researche this, so I can not vouch for the validity) but when you buy a car new, run the cheap gas and you will not have any problems with it, but once you pump your first tank of higher octane gas, you will from then on need to either buy the higher octane or will have some issues being as you engine has become accustomed to the higher octane
That's a completely false rumor, there's not even a smidgen of truth in what you heard.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
higher octane fuels phiddle styks YJ General Discussion Forum 7 02-16-2009 09:36 AM
Octane Question hedonist TJ General Discussion Forum 16 01-06-2008 06:32 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC