Paint choice for rear bumper - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
ninjaturtle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 920
Paint choice for rear bumper

Received my Rokmen rear bumper I'm debating on enamel flat or bed line by Rusto or duplicolor

Any suggestions?

__________________


/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
_plaisance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: southern louisiana
Posts: 503
get a gallon of rustoleum bedliner 43 dollars at walmart

_plaisance is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,031
Por-15 is good stuff. But so is rust-oleum. It all comes down to how well you prep the metal.

And you definitely don't need a gallon of bedliner for one bumper. A gallon will do 2-3 coats on a tub. A half gallon or a quart is probably more what you need.
__________________
OME 2.5" coils and Nitro Shocks, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS Quick discos, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 59
Eastwood extreme chassis black but use pre spray cleaner before and after scuffing. Easy to touch up when chipped etc. POR is great stuff too but doesn't lay out as flat. Prep is the key though!
Jad4271 is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
ninjaturtle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad4271 View Post
Eastwood extreme chassis black but use pre spray cleaner before and after scuffing. Easy to touch up when chipped etc. POR is great stuff too but doesn't lay out as flat. Prep is the key though!
Do I have to prime before using Eastwood? I think this would be good to prevent rust in the long run...

Can I bedline on top of the Eastwood? I like the finish of Duplicolor's
__________________


/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaturtle0 View Post
Do I have to prime before using Eastwood? I think this would be good to prevent rust in the long run...

Can I bedline on top of the Eastwood? I like the finish of Duplicolor's
No, you don't have to prime first but it won't hurt. Just do not use self etching....it will cause the paint to peal. I use it all the time without priming and it works great just give it an extra coat. Not sure if you can bedline over it but u could just do a test on some scrap before painting your bumper.
Jad4271 is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
lilbluebuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Amarillo
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad4271 View Post
...it will cause the paint to peal...
Fyi: peal means to ring like a bell, the word you are looking for is PEEL. /grammarnazi
__________________
Jeeps don't get stuck, they just take breaks every once in a while... in deep holes.
lilbluebuggy is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
ninjaturtle0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad4271 View Post
No, you don't have to prime first but it won't hurt. Just do not use self etching....it will cause the paint to peal. I use it all the time without priming and it works great just give it an extra coat. Not sure if you can bedline over it but u could just do a test on some scrap before painting your bumper.
Thanks, will do some testing, I like the texture finish but want rust prevention. My cross member has rust on it so going to clean this up also.

__________________


/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ninjaturtle0 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC