After searching through the forum for how to paint fender flares I decided to give it a go today with some Krylon Fusion in Satin Black. Rather than completely remove them, I opted to leave them on and try to make up with it in prep work. This was mainly because I didn't have an optimal work area. My only regret there is that I wasn’t able to hit the undersides of them but for now it’s fine.
I had tried almost every product (including Mother’s Back to Black) in efforts to keep the flares looking OK but none of them worked very well in my opinion. I’m convinced the fading was accelerated by my girlfriend’s liberal use of Amor All, which I think is the crack cocaine of detail products. Looks great for a day but then you need to apply more.
Photo #1: Masking and prep work. I didn’t need to loosen the flares as there was already enough play between them and the body to slide the masking paper in. This photo also shows what the flare looked like after I sanded it with 150 grain paper (I would suggest sanding as it’s very little extra work.) This was done after wiping down the freshly washed fenders with Windex to get any leftover grime.
Photo #2: Just shows the before state of the front right flare, lots of fading on the body extension portion. Sorry about the lighting in the first two photos but the was some morning fog.
Photo #3: Here’s how the right rear flare looked after about two coats compared with the front right (still unpainted.) I kind of leapfrogged around the Jeep, prepping one flare, going back and spraying another coat on the last one, so on and so forth to save time.
Photo #3: The right front flare. I just pulled the running light lens and disconnected the lighting harness, then backed the opening with masking paper.
Photo #4: Finished product – I’m happy! No more cheap, greasy shine, just a nice textured satin black now. Why couldn’t Jeep have thought of this at the factory?
Photo #5: The only screw up was leaving the masking behind the right front flare for too long, hence a little flaked off when I removed the backing. I think I can touch it up though. A guy I used to paint for taught me a long time ago to always pull your masking while to paint’s still wet to get super clean lines (wish I had remember that this afternoon.) In any event, I hope this paint job lasts because I'm not going to do it again.
So that’s it. A couple of notes: 1.) I found that the Krylon Fusion has a bit of texture when it dries so that and my OCD prompted me to hit each fender like seven time. It also meant I used almost 3 cans of Krylon. One portion of the left rear flare had some drips in it so after that coat dried, I lightly sanded it down and resprayed it. Overall time was 3-4 hours. Could have been a little faster if I had been more confident with my spray skills.
Thanks to all the member s of the forum who have posted their information here for newbies like me to find. Hope the photos help the next person.