Painted rims - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Doublesnook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 281
Painted rims

I have been looking into painting my rims black. I love the look. However I don't know what to use. I was thinking bedliner, then agin it shows dirt and I am afraid of easy chipping or scratching. What is your opinion?

Doublesnook is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Sasquatch 4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 380
are you talking about the black showing dirt or the bedliner? Bedliner is a good choice because it looks good and is very durable as long as you do it right (a few coats and give the paint the right amount of time to cure). my wheels are bedlines and have held up pretty well to scratches, they show dirt from mud and stuff but whats the big deal its a jeep.

__________________
Check out my build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/95-y...ld-148979.html

"if you buy something that says it's gonna bolt right on.. LOL yeah right."
Sasquatch 4x4 is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Zetsumei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 4,267
Bring on the Plasti-dippers! Lol. I used the Rustoleum wheel paint and it looks really good. The big thing with bed lining, rustoleum wheel pain, plasti-dip, etc. is the preparation.If you prepare right it should chip, and with most of these options you can just give it a quick coat every year or so to freshen it up.
Zetsumei is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
You have a Jeep, they are called wheels.

I just painted a set with Rustoleum grill paint. You need to scuff them up and remove the gloss first.
homebrwd is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
GasHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sandton, South Africa
Posts: 105
Powder coat matt black
__________________
06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L (sixer) Auto | 31" Copper STT on 15" Black MickyT's | 2.5" Lift
GasHog is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 63
I just painted mine with bed liner. I posted a thread the other day, I love the way it came out.
__________________
http://i45.tinypic.com/ib9e2a.jpg

97 Wrangler SE 87k miles
2.5" Sky Jacker lift, shocks, control arms
SB XRC bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders, x20-8 winch
33x12.50's
BlackJack7 is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
CJVJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Reading PA
Posts: 181
Rustoleum bed liner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2974339344.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	135317   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2185538398.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	135318  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-193485440.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	135319  
CJVJeep is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
s14sh3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton, OK
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
Bring on the Plasti-dippers! Lol. I used the Rustoleum wheel paint and it looks really good. The big thing with bed lining, rustoleum wheel pain, plasti-dip, etc. is the preparation.If you prepare right it should chip, and with most of these options you can just give it a quick coat every year or so to freshen it up.
I like the Rustoleum wheel paint. I've used it lots of places other than wheels, too. It's a pretty good match for the factory black on things like wiper arms. I redid my mirrors with it. Of course it works great on wheels too
s14sh3r is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
MustangWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
I'll be the first Plasti-Dip response! Did mine in January and just peeled it off 2 weeks ago to sell them with the factory finish. Held up GREAT for nearly 6 months...I was impressed.

MustangWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Doublesnook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangWrangler
I'll be the first Plasti-Dip response! Did mine in January and just peeled it off 2 weeks ago to sell them with the factory finish. Held up GREAT for nearly 6 months...I was impressed.
Is that plasti-dip spray?
Doublesnook is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
MustangWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublesnook View Post
Is that plasti-dip spray?
Yes. You can buy it from Home Depot and Lowes in the spray paint section. $6 or so a can.
MustangWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Doublesnook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangWrangler

Yes. You can buy it from Home Depot and Lowes in the spray paint section. $6 or so a can.
Did you take the tires off to paint? Does it come in black because all I have seen was yellow and red?
Doublesnook is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
MustangWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublesnook View Post
Did you take the tires off to paint? Does it come in black because all I have seen was yellow and red?
Yes. I have never seen it in yellow or red except for online as well as several other colors.

The proper way is taking your wheels off but you don't necessarily have to. It makes for a better final product though. I took mine off and cleaned them really well and got any grease and grime off of them. The last thing you want is to spend the time spraying them and the Plasti-Dip not adhere in spots because they weren't cleaned properly.

Just take em off and tape off the openings on the back side of your wheels so the over spray doesn't get on the back. Put some old lugs or your current lugs in the lug openings when you spray them. You want to do that because if you don't, once you start twisting the lug back on it will grab the dip down in there and will pull it off.

Some people mask their tires off with playing cards but I just sprayed them getting the spray on the tires because...well it just peels off afterwards. I put a light base coat down and then a second and third heavy coat. You want to put a good thick application down because it makes life much easier when the day comes you want to peel it off. If not you will be picking little pieces off all day long!

Obviously let it dry and make sure you don't do it on a humid day because it creates a weird finished texture and can also have moisture trapped on the surface of your rims causing it to want to peel off.
MustangWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Doublesnook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 281
Well I live in Florida so humidity might be a problem. Do you think I should do it or something else l?
Doublesnook is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
MustangWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublesnook View Post
Well I live in Florida so humidity might be a problem. Do you think I should do it or something else l?
If it turns out like crap, peel it off. You can't peel off bedliner.
MustangWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
MustangWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Also it allows you to see how your Jeep will look with black wheels. If you hate it...peel it off, if you love it...leave it and consider bedlining them in the future. I approved of the look of mine afterwards so I ended up buying black soft 8's.
MustangWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
alice the cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle/San Diego
Posts: 236
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHog View Post
Powder coat matt black
Thats what I did but 50/50 black. Turned out great and was only $50 a wheel. Hard as nails too.
__________________
99 White Sahara
2002 Hummer 2 door KSC2
alice the cat is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangWrangler View Post
Yes. I have never seen it in yellow or red except for online as well as several other colors.

The proper way is taking your wheels off but you don't necessarily have to. It makes for a better final product though. I took mine off and cleaned them really well and got any grease and grime off of them. The last thing you want is to spend the time spraying them and the Plasti-Dip not adhere in spots because they weren't cleaned properly.

Just take em off and tape off the openings on the back side of your wheels so the over spray doesn't get on the back. Put some old lugs or your current lugs in the lug openings when you spray them. You want to do that because if you don't, once you start twisting the lug back on it will grab the dip down in there and will pull it off.

Some people mask their tires off with playing cards but I just sprayed them getting the spray on the tires because...well it just peels off afterwards. I put a light base coat down and then a second and third heavy coat. You want to put a good thick application down because it makes life much easier when the day comes you want to peel it off. If not you will be picking little pieces off all day long!

Obviously let it dry and make sure you don't do it on a humid day because it creates a weird finished texture and can also have moisture trapped on the surface of your rims causing it to want to peel off.
So this works well? I mean, you said it peels off? I dont want it peeling off on me.. I bought some spray and did my fenders, but have never thought of doing wheels. Also, I have some peeling now, from the factory finish, how do I prepare wheels for spray in those areas?
Familyman22 is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangWrangler View Post
I'll be the first Plasti-Dip response! Did mine in January and just peeled it off 2 weeks ago to sell them with the factory finish. Held up GREAT for nearly 6 months...I was impressed.

Looks good, I have teh same set of wheels on my Jeep, How did you keep center caps and lug nuts chrome? Also, did you have any peeling of factory finish? When you say you peeled it off to sell, is this something that will happen by itself?
Familyman22 is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
CJVJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Reading PA
Posts: 181
The center caps pop out....just use whatever you chose (Bedliner, plasti dip) and spray the wheels while caps and lugs are off.......
CJVJeep is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
2003x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 996
I did mine with plasti dip about 4 months ago, its a DD and is holding up great. No chips, cracks or fadding.
__________________
HP D30, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, 4" RC Long Arm, 1" BL, 35" Toyo MT's.
My Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...-build-944608/
2003x is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
LSixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Denial
Posts: 61
Question on scuffing up. I had someone tell me to use fine steel wool rather than emory paper. Anyone have some experience with steel wool?
LSixer is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Doublesnook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003x
I did mine with plasti dip about 4 months ago, its a DD and is holding up great. No chips, cracks or fadding.
Do you take it off road?
Doublesnook is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
MustangWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman22 View Post
So this works well? I mean, you said it peels off? I dont want it peeling off on me.. I bought some spray and did my fenders, but have never thought of doing wheels. Also, I have some peeling now, from the factory finish, how do I prepare wheels for spray in those areas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman22 View Post
Looks good, I have teh same set of wheels on my Jeep, How did you keep center caps and lug nuts chrome? Also, did you have any peeling of factory finish? When you say you peeled it off to sell, is this something that will happen by itself?
Stuff works GREAT if you take your time and make sure the surface is clean. I washed my wheels with Dawn since it breaks down oils and strips wax (note: those that wash your Jeep with Dawn...BAD! Unless you plan on applying wax afterwards. I know it's just a Jeep but I take pride in mine. Without wax your clearcoat will start breaking down. I wash my Mustang and Jeep with Dawn prior to a clay bar, wax, and polish job because at that point the Dawn helps strip the old wax off.)

Back on topic..I used a wheel and tire cleaner to get any other grime or residue off the rims, wiped them dry and then took my canned air and hit the areas around the weights since mine were on the outside and also inside the lug holes just to make sure there were no little spots of water.

I took the wheels off the Jeep so I popped the center cap off and used old lugs to stick in the holes when I sprayed so I didn't have to worry about peeling it off the lugs before putting them back on the Jeep. After the final coat, remove the lugs while the everything is still wet. You want to do this because if you let the lugs sit there while the Dip dries, they will also dry to the Dip so when you go to take them off, it will try to peel off. I wrapped tape around my lugs and kind of twisted about an inch of tape coming straight off the tip that way when I pulled them out, I just grabbed the little tape handle I made.

Factory finish does not peel off when removing the Dip. When the stuff dries it's pretty much like a latex glove wrapped around the surface of your rims. When I peeled it off, it pretty much all came off in one piece except the lug holes. I had to peel each lug area afterwards. And it will peel off by itself if you don't do the proper prep of the rim..and again...take your time and have a beer or 3 while you wait. When you wash them with the Dip on there, just use a steady stream of water. If you drive through an automated wash (which I don't recommend on any vehicle), use a pressure washer, or a hard spray from your water nozzle, you will be fine.

Again....even if it does come off after a few months, it's $6 a can and you got to enjoy some beer on a hot afternoon.
MustangWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
2003x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublesnook View Post
Do you take it off road?
Yes, mud washes right off.

__________________
HP D30, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, 4" RC Long Arm, 1" BL, 35" Toyo MT's.
My Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2...-build-944608/
2003x is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.



Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC