perf upgrades - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
rketr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 870
Didn't see it mentioned:

Don't have any hard numbers on it, but I noticed decent gains when I switched to an electric fan vs. the standard engine powered one. Makes sense since the power required to spin it has been removed.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny terror View Post
I curse like a drunk sailor
Obama -> The Presidency to Nowhere
rketr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #32
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 33,231
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rketr View Post
Didn't see it mentioned:

Don't have any hard numbers on it, but I noticed decent gains when I switched to an electric fan vs. the standard engine powered one. Makes sense since the power required to spin it has been removed.
Partially true but the electric fan's added load (which is significant) on the alternator makes it harder for the engine to turn it. There's no free lunch.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
jwm1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,024
When I put an e-fan on my Dodge Ram all I noticed was that I could control the engine temp better and that it was quieter. At first I thought it performed better, but I think the only advantage I had was the engine could rev quicker. I took it all back out since I saw no dif. I figured why have something less reliable in for no reason right... ?

My .02
__________________
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0L / 5spd
jwm1986 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
rketr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Partially true but the electric fan's added load (which is significant) on the alternator makes it harder for the engine to turn it. There's no free lunch.
Likely didn't notice the hit due to having already upgraded the alternator.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny terror View Post
I curse like a drunk sailor
Obama -> The Presidency to Nowhere
rketr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Partially true but the electric fan's added load (which is significant) on the alternator makes it harder for the engine to turn it. There's no free lunch.
it is true that the alternator has to work harder however when u floor it and rev the engine does not mean the fan WILL BE ON or the alternator will have to charge up at that instant to supply the electricity needed for the fan. The battery should do just that. It charges in time, not at that instant also so the power loss is more gradual over time, not when u want it at that instant.. When u turn on the fan, it pulls from the battery and the alternator. Also using the basics, alternator needs about half a hp to make 10 amps of power... a stock mechanical fan takes much more away when u rev ur engine to 3-4k rpm since it depends on the engine speed. You DO see a difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1986 View Post
When I put an e-fan on my Dodge Ram all I noticed was that I could control the engine temp better and that it was quieter. At first I thought it performed better, but I think the only advantage I had was the engine could rev quicker. I took it all back out since I saw no dif. I figured why have something less reliable in for no reason right... ?
in that case you are saying light flywheel makes no difference either!!! Do you know what inertial loses mean?
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
jwm1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,024
in that case you are saying light flywheel makes no difference either!!! Do you know what inertial loses mean?



I never said that. I'm just saying I didn't feel enough of a difference to warrant risking having a less reliable part installed. Not to mention the waste of money spent on those parts...

No MPG increase, no felt power increase, less reliable = FAIL

These are not performance vehicles in the first place. Lightened flywheels most definately help with acceleration, but being an off road type vehicle it's also going to cause you to abuse your clutch more than needed!

So i'm not real sure what that comment was about? I was just stating what I noticed in real life...
__________________
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0L / 5spd
jwm1986 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
why would it be less reliable?

I think its nice to be able to control the temp as much as you want even at idle.

On my tj the difference was noticeable.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
jwm1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,024
With mechanical fans you pretty much only have one point of failure:
blades somehow breaking

Or with the e-fan setup you have many many more:
Wiring shorts, relay failure, fan motor locks up (water does this very easily), temp sensors (if you use them) can fail or just be setup wrong to begin with... etc

If you did get a mpg improvement or it solved some other random issue you were having that's great. I just feel it's not a good investment for the average person.
__________________
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0L / 5spd
jwm1986 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #39
delicate %$^&*@ flower

WF Lifetime Member
 
tiny terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
aaahh jerry is wrong one way or another. ........<snip>....
ps for the ones that dont know... he blocked me...

This post has the exact opposite effect that you were going for, Trip.
tiny terror is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1986 View Post
If you did get a mpg improvement or it solved some other random issue you were having that's great. I just feel it's not a good investment for the average person.
The mechanical fans use clutch to engage and disengage (can't fully disengage though)) Usually that clutch wears out after about 60-70k miles and costs about 150 bucks

The total cost of the entire fan setup was about 100 and now am better off in other ways instead of just with a new stock unit that will wear out in another 60-70k miles.

Investment for the average person? A wrangler getting 15mpg on a good day is not a good investment either however this is what makes us unique right .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny terror View Post
This post has the exact opposite effect that you were going for, Trip.
please explain. Other people that actually have those installed agreed with me.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #41
delicate %$^&*@ flower

WF Lifetime Member
 
tiny terror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 14,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
please explain. Other people that actually have those installed agreed with me.
I think you understand very well what I'm talking about and I would love it if you would do the same and lengthen your ignore list so the rest of us don't have to watch these little pissing contests.
tiny terror is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
jwm1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,024
I don't know if your trying to argue with everything or i'm just in a bad mood, but I have nothing else to add other than a mechanical fan will still cool your engine with a bad clutch as it is locked in full engagement. I've never seen one fail open.
/out
__________________
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0L / 5spd
jwm1986 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny terror View Post
I think you understand very well what I'm talking about and I would love it if you would do the same and lengthen your ignore list so the rest of us don't have to watch these little pissing contests.
noted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1986 View Post
I don't know if your trying to argue with everything or i'm just in a bad mood, but I have nothing else to add other than a mechanical fan will still cool your engine with a bad clutch as it is locked in full engagement. I've never seen one fail open.
/out
looking at it as the cup half full would be nice but thats not correct... a mechanical fan does not engage since the clutch slips, that's the problem. There was a thread few months ago about it. The guy saw it when it went in the red.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #44
Wrecktrician
 
4point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Sierra
Posts: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1986 View Post
I don't know if your trying to argue with everything
Yup, thats it............. he argues EVERYTHING, especially when Jerry is involved.
__________________
Just getting to work is an adventure.
4point is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4point View Post
Yup, thats it............. he argues EVERYTHING, especially when Jerry is involved.
I dont mind Jerry as long as the stuff he posts is correct. I disagree with stuff that is not correct. Having people throw hard earned money into something because of some ones "says so" is not right. Disagreeing with something and not giving a reason or talking stuff about them is not correct either.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #46
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
The mechanical fans use clutch to engage and disengage (can't fully disengage though)) Usually that clutch wears out after about 60-70k miles and costs about 150 bucks

The total cost of the entire fan setup was about 100 and now am better off in other ways instead of just with a new stock unit that will wear out in another 60-70k miles.

Investment for the average person? A wrangler getting 15mpg on a good day is not a good investment either however this is what makes us unique right .


please explain. Other people that actually have those installed agreed with me.

where do you buy parts.....i have never paid over 40 bucks for a fan clutch......
__________________
"its a jake thing you wouldnt understand"

01 tj, custom 4 link f/r, no track bars, 44/9"combo and some 39 tsls on rockathons
flattietj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #47
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1986 View Post
I don't know if your trying to argue with everything or i'm just in a bad mood, but I have nothing else to add other than a mechanical fan will still cool your engine with a bad clutch as it is locked in full engagement. I've never seen one fail open.
/out
i have had the clutch go out three times and all three times it has failed to cool my engine....i am no supporter of the electric fan but this info is wrong

__________________
"its a jake thing you wouldnt understand"

01 tj, custom 4 link f/r, no track bars, 44/9"combo and some 39 tsls on rockathons
flattietj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Account Upgrades and Sticker Sales Andy R WF Community Announcements 105 09-02-2014 03:33 PM
Brake Upgrades ??? Dana Strong YJ Tech Forum 3 01-13-2009 08:02 AM
Suggestions on upgrades cnolan76 TJ General Discussion Forum 19 01-07-2009 12:51 AM
mpg upgrades 97tj.jeepinit TJ General Discussion Forum 12 10-12-2008 12:42 PM
Summer Project / Upgrades 08' vin211 TJ General Discussion Forum 5 05-26-2008 06:40 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC