Picking up my 8.8 today - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Picking up my 8.8 today

Going to pick up my 8.8 rear today! Anybody know of a good quality yet decently priced install kit? I've seen a few just wondering if anyone else knew of any. Thanks guys!

hmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
97wrangler-242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: poland indiana
Posts: 2,008
Blue torch fab makes a really nice kit but I think it's up around 450$. I believe the one from mad4x4 is only 200$

97wrangler-242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Irongrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave
artec's is one of the nicest out there IMO

https://artecindustries.3dcartstores...uss_p_233.html
__________________
4421
Irongrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
97wrangler-242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: poland indiana
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave
artec's is one of the nicest out there IMO

https://artecindustries.3dcartstores...uss_p_233.html
Forgot about that one, it is pretty awesome
97wrangler-242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
Personally I will be getting the artec for mine, it looks awesome
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya
Personally I will be getting the artec for mine, it looks awesome
I like the look of it too. Price isn't bad either.
hmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
yeah I like that too, its only like $30 more than JUST the brackets from rubicon express. plus all materials are 1/4" thick. the thing is a monster
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya
yeah I like that too, its only like $30 more than JUST the brackets from rubicon express. plus all materials are 1/4" thick. the thing is a monster
Well that works for me! You doing a 8.8 as well?
hmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
I wasnt planning on it... BUT... found one on craigslist for pretty much nothing.
Its off an explorer, has Posi, 31 spline, disk brakes which are actually cut well up into the explorer so I still got the stock solid lines and everything, AND its geared 4.1
The guy had just rebuilt it, then wrecked the front and is replacing them both with 1 tons. Gave me the 8.8 for stupid cheap because I came and helped get it off.

I also found a really nice HP D30 also geared 4.1 in a similar situation.

so now I'm slowly piecing the rest of everything together and hope to be ready for the full swap come spring.
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya
I wasnt planning on it... BUT... found one on craigslist for pretty much nothing.
Its off an explorer, has Posi, 31 spline, disk brakes which are actually cut well up into the explorer so I still got the stock solid lines and everything, AND its geared 4.1
The guy had just rebuilt it, then wrecked the front and is replacing them both with 1 tons. Gave me the 8.8 for stupid cheap because I came and helped get it off.

I also found a really nice HP D30 also geared 4.1 in a similar situation.

so now I'm slowly piecing the rest of everything together and hope to be ready for the full swap come spring.
I hear you I got mine for pretty cheap too. I needed it with the 33's and the sbc 350 I put in.
hmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
obidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller View Post
I hear you I got mine for pretty cheap too. I needed it with the 33's and the sbc 350 I put in.
very nice, I will be going to 33's as well but no 350 for me, not yet.
__________________
Black 97 Sahara 4.0L 5 Speed - Fully Cloak'd
1.75" BL with 35"x12.5" Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar 10k Engo winch
obidya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by obidya

very nice, I will be going to 33's as well but no 350 for me, not yet.
Yeah I should have waited but hey can't look back now
hmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,901
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller View Post
Yeah I should have waited but hey can't look back now
How is the sbc and 8.8 install coming along? I am curious as to your thoughts on the both projects. Was it easy/hard as you initially anticipated? Were there complications and unexpected situations?

One of the reasons I am asking is that I think some people believe they can swap in a sbc in weekend and have it running by Monday morning....is that realistic now that you have been through it?
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme

How is the sbc and 8.8 install coming along? I am curious as to your thoughts on the both projects. Was it easy/hard as you initially anticipated? Were there complications and unexpected situations?

One of the reasons I am asking is that I think some people believe they can swap in a sbc in weekend and have it running by Monday morning....is that realistic now that you have been through it?
I was done with it all last night until my carb caught fire... Now I'm looking for a new one. And no it's not easy in my opinion. The sbc anyway, lots of fab work and some headaches to get everything to match the way I wanted it. If I could do it all over again I would A) not do it or B) buy a crate 350 or C) buy a stroker motor. But I mean it's fast for sure, has alot of power just hard to tune it perfect. Any other questions I'll be happy to answer. My experience hasn't been a good one though. I'm sure some people have done it easily.
hmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,901
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmiller View Post
I'm sure some people have done it easily.
Yeah, my guess is that "those people" have done conversions in the past and can anticipate the headaches and potential problems/issues.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
hmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme

Yeah, my guess is that "those people" have done conversions in the past and can anticipate the headaches and potential problems/issues.
Yes I agree. "Those people" have done many before. but it should be really cool when I'm done. Just cost more than I planned.

hmiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC