Pro Comp Rock Craler Rear Bumper... ? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
USAF089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 243
Pro Comp Rock Craler Rear Bumper... ?

I'm wanting a good cheap rear bumper with a receiver hitch so that I can tow a light trailer, no more than say, 500lbs or so maybe. Just to help move some stuff, maybe also have the hitch for a little project I have in mind. I found the pr comp bumper, and it's at a good price. $150 bucks.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/procomp...ack-66168.html

I know it says the receiver is not rated for towing, but is that only because it does not have the chain support holes? Or is it not structurally sound enough? Whats your opinion on if I were to have a plate welded onto the bottom of the bumper, to the hitch it's self, think it would be ok then for light loads?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I tried looking it up but I couldn't find this exact question, so maybe no one has thought of this before me, I dont know.

Thanks!

__________________
Just Empty Every Pocket
O|||||||O
USAF089 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Scott-CJ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 435
I just got one for my YJ. It's a great bumper and I have no fear of using it to pull a small trailer. Looks sound enough to pull 1000 lbs easy.
Watch ebay, I found Fueled4WD had one there with a 'best offer' price .... got mine for $140 and free shipping.

__________________
It's a Jeep Thing ... I do understand!

Scott
1993 Jeep Wrangler
Scott-CJ8 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
USAF089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-CJ8 View Post
I just got one for my YJ. It's a great bumper and I have no fear of using it to pull a small trailer. Looks sound enough to pull 1000 lbs easy.
Watch ebay, I found Fueled4WD had one there with a 'best offer' price .... got mine for $140 and free shipping.
Great! That's what I was hoping to hear. I don't want to pull a lot with the Jeep anyway, so it will probably work out fine. Pretty easy to install? Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to do. Thanks!
__________________
Just Empty Every Pocket
O|||||||O
USAF089 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF089 View Post
Great! That's what I was hoping to hear. I don't want to pull a lot with the Jeep anyway, so it will probably work out fine. Pretty easy to install? Looks like it shouldn't be too hard to do. Thanks!
No, if the bumper is not tow rated, you should never tow from it. The hitch on those is so you can mount a D-ring or a winch for recovery when off roading. If you were to get into an accident while towing a trailer with the hitch that isn't tow rated your insurance will most likely not cover the cost of repairs.

Not only will you have the issues with the insurance and the law, it's just not safe to do that. Towing puts completely different stresses on a bumper than a recovery does.

I hope this helps!

-Zach
__________________
Ryan H. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTZach View Post

No, if the bumper is not tow rated, you should never tow from it. The hitch on those is so you can mount a D-ring or a winch for recovery when off roading. If you were to get into an accident while towing a trailer with the hitch that isn't tow rated your insurance will most likely not cover the cost of repairs.

Not only will you have the issues with the insurance and the law, it's just not safe to do that. Towing puts completely different stresses on a bumper than a recovery does.

I hope this helps!

-Zach
What bumpers can you tow with? I've yet to find any DOT rated bumpers.
Arch Stanton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
USAF089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTZach View Post
No, if the bumper is not tow rated, you should never tow from it. The hitch on those is so you can mount a D-ring or a winch for recovery when off roading. If you were to get into an accident while towing a trailer with the hitch that isn't tow rated your insurance will most likely not cover the cost of repairs.

Not only will you have the issues with the insurance and the law, it's just not safe to do that. Towing puts completely different stresses on a bumper than a recovery does.

I hope this helps!

-Zach
Hmm.... I didn't even think about that >.< I'd still like to have a hitch for a project I have in mind, but guess I will have to think a little harder and search a little more before I finally decide. Thanks for the input!!
__________________
Just Empty Every Pocket
O|||||||O
USAF089 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Sherpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lehi, UT
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
What bumpers can you tow with? I've yet to find any DOT rated bumpers.
The Smittybilt SRC Classic rear bumper is Class III rated. It is available with or without the tire carrier (I bought mine without the carrier).

__________________
Dempsey Bowling
My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 06 Mustang GT, 01 Suburban 8.1L, 14 Forte EX
Jeep mods: 4" longarm + 1" BL, 35" KM2s, 4.56s with dual ARBs... and lots of scratched armor
Sherpa is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post

The Smittybilt SRC Classic rear bumper is Class III rated. It is available with or without the tire carrier (I bought mine without the carrier).
Thanks!

Arch Stanton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC