question !! :S - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
question !! :S

hey guys .. umm i have a question .. i wanna increase the size of my tires on my stock 1997 .. no lifts .... do i have to lift it or get bigger rims too ?? .. and does it cost too much :S ?



soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada, Eh?
Posts: 1,892
Your going to have to lift the susp or body to fit anything larger than 31" 10.50 15" tires. As for the rims larger no, more backspacing yes,(around 4") is the normal so as the new larger 33" and up tires don't rub on anything.

__________________
jeepjones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
oh umm can u explain that more specifically please .. i still dont get it :S
soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16
No you usually don't have to get bigger rims. Like he said, it depends on how big of tires you want if you need to lift the body up or not. Tires can be pretty darn expensive.
tebriel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Weaver,Alabama
Posts: 12
I have 32x11.50. 15's on my 97 Tj and no lift
tjdoc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdoc View Post
I have 32x11.50. 15's on my 97 Tj and no lift

are there any sideeffects ???? when you turn or when you accelerate ?
soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Weaver,Alabama
Posts: 12
None for me but I don't go rockcrawling just trails
tjdoc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdoc View Post
I have 32x11.50. 15's on my 97 Tj and no lift
ok you said u have 32" tires on ur 97 with no lift .. how ?????

i got a 97 stock jeep with no lift .. and i wanna put bigger tires .. is it ok ??
soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Jeep Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreaker View Post
ok you said u have 32" tires on ur 97 with no lift .. how ?????

i got a 97 stock jeep with no lift .. and i wanna put bigger tires .. is it ok ??

WHOA!

What are you planning on doing with it? With the larger tires?

You can wedge 32" tires on a stock Jeep but your travel will be limited by the tires hitting the fenders.

I've got 4.5" on my Sahara with 32" tires...look at the wheel gap in my pictures ... I can fit more rubber but I want the flex so I can tackle holes, rocks, etc.

If you're going to cruise the mall and just want to look cool the 32" tire will suit you. "Side effects" will be less power when accelerating, poor fuel economy and your speedo will be off a little.
Jeep Nurse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Nurse View Post
WHOA!

What are you planning on doing with it? With the larger tires?

You can wedge 32" tires on a stock Jeep but your travel will be limited by the tires hitting the fenders.

I've got 4.5" on my Sahara with 32" tires...look at the wheel gap in my pictures ... I can fit more rubber but I want the flex so I can tackle holes, rocks, etc.

If you're going to cruise the mall and just want to look cool the 32" tire will suit you. "Side effects" will be less power when accelerating, poor fuel economy and your speedo will be off a little.

loooooool so do u recommend me to add 2"spacer lift kit first ??
soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Jeep Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreaker View Post
loooooool so do u recommend me to add 2"spacer lift kit first ??
What's your budget?

If I were starting I would go with a JKS 1.25" body lift and later a 1" motor mount lift ... JKS Manufacturing: Body & Motor Mount Lifts

WHY?

This lift is reasonably priced, nearly undectable meaning you won't really notice you have a body lift... unlike the larger lifts ... AND the motor lift addresses the drive line angle that you will have to deal with down the road when you install a suspension lift

Next .... a few more dollars and you can go with an ACOS ...

JKS Manufacturing: Coil Spring Suspension

WHY?

The Wrangler has a tendancy to sag and sit's nose down. An ACOS gives you 3 - 4 inches of ADJUSTABLE LIFT ... with the spacers you're just lifting. If you have a sag with no lift you will have a sag with 2" of lift.

Finally...if you want go buck wild you end your spending spree with a 4 - 4.5" coil spring lift and you're ready to roll with anywhere from 6 - 8" of lift and 35" tires!

I have the sickness...and now I give it to you!
Jeep Nurse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Nurse View Post
What's your budget?

If I were starting I would go with a JKS 1.25" body lift and later a 1" motor mount lift ... JKS Manufacturing: Body & Motor Mount Lifts

WHY?

This lift is reasonably priced, nearly undectable meaning you won't really notice you have a body lift... unlike the larger lifts ... AND the motor lift addresses the drive line angle that you will have to deal with down the road when you install a suspension lift
DUUUUUUUDE O-O !!! 135 DOLLARS ONLY ?????? awsome


oh btw do they ship the parts to my country ??
soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Jeep Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreaker View Post
DUUUUUUUDE O-O !!! 135 DOLLARS ONLY ?????? awsome


oh btw do they ship the parts to my country ??
Are you on a base? Call them and give it a try... The ACOS would be a great choice too if you have the $$
Jeep Nurse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Nurse View Post
Are you on a base? Call them and give it a try... The ACOS would be a great choice too if you have the $$

loooool .. i live in kuwait .. middel-east region ..... ill try though ..thnx jeepnurse ur awsome !
soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Jeep Nurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreaker View Post
loooool .. i live in kuwait .. middel-east region ..... ill try though ..thnx jeepnurse ur awsome !
Anytime... Can I say I have a friend in Kuwait now? You need to send me pictures!
Jeep Nurse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Weaver,Alabama
Posts: 12
I just got back from Kuwait 3 weeks ago. You should be able to get the stuff shipped over there. Do you have a APO AE address? If so most companies will ship to it. There is alot of lifted trucks and jeeps in Kuwait so I imagine there is a shop there that does the work. I saw some really nice fj cruisers and jeeps when I was there. Where you at in Kuwait?
tjdoc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Nurse View Post
Anytime... Can I say I have a friend in Kuwait now? You need to send me pictures!

Ofcourse !!! .. im really happy we are friends ... and yea sure .. ill send some pics .. except that there aint anythin cool bout my jeep or my country .. xDDD ...
soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
soundbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kuwait
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdoc View Post
I just got back from Kuwait 3 weeks ago. You should be able to get the stuff shipped over there. Do you have a APO AE address? If so most companies will ship to it. There is alot of lifted trucks and jeeps in Kuwait so I imagine there is a shop there that does the work. I saw some really nice fj cruisers and jeeps when I was there. Where you at in Kuwait?
wow cool ;p ... did u have a good time here ?? or was it boring .. lol .. whats an APO AE adress ?

yeah there are so many lifted trucks and jeeps here ... thats y i wanna lift my jeep ;( .... i live in Salwa

soundbreaker is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Lift Question TDCoffee General Jeep Discussion 9 05-01-2010 06:57 PM
6sp shift question rico334 TJ Tech Forum 15 12-13-2009 09:08 PM
quick axle question Sb5551 TJ Tech Forum 3 10-03-2008 08:38 PM
Trans Mount Question MOz TJ Tech Forum 8 06-10-2008 03:14 PM
Carb question and EGR question trulefty YJ Tech Forum 0 12-12-2006 04:55 PM


» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC