Re-gearing Question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
ROzynskiA1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 62
Re-gearing Question

Hey All,

Quick question : So i have a 4.0L 6-spd TJ and just recently have putt 33's on it. What gearing should i go to?

__________________
2006 X - 6 Speed - White

2.5" OME Lift + 1.25" JKS BL + MML
JKS Quick Disconnects
33" Wrangler Duratracs
Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
ROzynskiA1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
the great moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
You will be fine on the stock gears if you want. The D44 in the rear can handle a 33 but no larger. Decide your gearing by its application what do you do mud sand snow rock so forth? All this and if it is a daily driver will determine what gear set is best for you. I have an 06tj on 33 with an ARB in the rear and do rock crawling. The jeep is a daily driver for at least 80 mile round trips. For me I run stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120405_105353.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	111204  

the great moo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Mo Kirkwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wellington, NV
Posts: 78
I have a "05" TJ and did a 4" lift on it last summer. I also put 33s on it. Right now it is geared with 3.73s. I asked my local 4WD center about regearing it. They told me to regear to 4.56s for the 33s but if I was planning to put 35s on it go with 4.88s. This should give me plenty of power to do just about anything with my Jeep. Right now with the 3.73s I have no power to pull hills and my fuel milage went down. I have an automatic tranny and drive it with the overdrive off. Of coarse in low range I do OK. Right now I'm lucky to get 15 MPG with it. I was getting more like 18 and I did see 20 once a freeway trip with the stock tires. My TJ also has a Dana 30 in the front and a 35 in the rear which I plan to change out to Dana 44s both front and rear and regear to 4.88s with lockers. I guess the question is, just about how much money do you want to spend. Have fun.
Mo Kirkwood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
TnDz TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,925
Images: 220
I went from 3.07's to 4.56's on 33's.... HUGE improvement.... 4.0 5-speed
__________________
~Todd~ 2004 X 4.0 5 speed---SOLD
4" Lift, 4.56's, 33" Duratracs on M/T Classics
RR SYE, Tatton CV, MML, BL, TT, Dynomax Exhaust
Hella Lighting: Driving, Fogs and H4 E-Codes
NOPE! ... and NEVER will be...
TnDz TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
jeepdude2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Kirkwood
I have a "05" TJ and did a 4" lift on it last summer. I also put 33s on it. Right now it is geared with 3.73s. I asked my local 4WD center about regearing it. They told me to regear to 4.56s for the 33s but if I was planning to put 35s on it go with 4.88s. This should give me plenty of power to do just about anything with my Jeep. Right now with the 3.73s I have no power to pull hills and my fuel milage went down. I have an automatic tranny and drive it with the overdrive off. Of coarse in low range I do OK. Right now I'm lucky to get 15 MPG with it. I was getting more like 18 and I did see 20 once a freeway trip with the stock tires. My TJ also has a Dana 30 in the front and a 35 in the rear which I plan to change out to Dana 44s both front and rear and regear to 4.88s with lockers. I guess the question is, just about how much money do you want to spend. Have fun.
Did you change your speedo gear? That will throw your estimated gas mileage off because your not compensating for the extra tire travel
jeepdude2003 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
TnDz TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,925
Images: 220
I'm picking my 39 tooth speedo gear today.... after the 4.56's and 33's.... lol 65mph on the speedo is 46mph actually ( GPS tracked)

Shop around.... I found some shops RAPE you for like $90 and I got mine from a Driveline Specialty shop for $22....

Here is a link with a chart for speedo gears.....

http://www.higherground4x4.com/Tech_...meter_gear.htm
__________________
~Todd~ 2004 X 4.0 5 speed---SOLD
4" Lift, 4.56's, 33" Duratracs on M/T Classics
RR SYE, Tatton CV, MML, BL, TT, Dynomax Exhaust
Hella Lighting: Driving, Fogs and H4 E-Codes
NOPE! ... and NEVER will be...
TnDz TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Lbailey21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 613
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the great moo
You will be fine on the stock gears if you want. The D44 in the rear can handle a 33 but no larger. Decide your gearing by its application what do you do mud sand snow rock so forth? All this and if it is a daily driver will determine what gear set is best for you. I have an 06tj on 33 with an ARB in the rear and do rock crawling. The jeep is a daily driver for at least 80 mile round trips. For me I run stock.
A D44 is defiantly okay for 35s. now a D35 can't go bigger then 33s.
__________________
2006 Jeep TJ blacked out. 4" skyjacker suspension 1" daystar BL & 1in" rough country motor mount lift. fabtech front bumper, rugged ridge rear bumper. KC 130w HiLite windshield lights. 35x12.5r15 MTz

if it aint broke, fix it till it is
Lbailey21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
InvertChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NoVa
Posts: 7,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROzynskiA1
Hey All,

Quick question : So i have a 4.0L 6-spd TJ and just recently have putt 33's on it. What gearing should i go to?
You'll want 4.56 if you plan on staying with 33s
__________________
|2004 Jeep TJ "Green Machine"|4.0L 5 speed Dana44|33x12.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs|2.5" RC coils + 1.25" body lift|OME NitroSport shocks|4.56 gears|Skid Row Engine Skid|BCC Sliders|Currie AntiRock|
InvertChaos is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
ROzynskiA1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by the great moo View Post
You will be fine on the stock gears if you want. The D44 in the rear can handle a 33 but no larger. Decide your gearing by its application what do you do mud sand snow rock so forth? All this and if it is a daily driver will determine what gear set is best for you. I have an 06tj on 33 with an ARB in the rear and do rock crawling. The jeep is a daily driver for at least 80 mile round trips. For me I run stock.
My Jeep will mostly be used for trail riding and for use in the snow. It will also be used somewhat of a daily driver also (when i'm not on my motorcycle).

Did you notice any loss of power or acceleration when you went to your 33's?
__________________
2006 X - 6 Speed - White

2.5" OME Lift + 1.25" JKS BL + MML
JKS Quick Disconnects
33" Wrangler Duratracs
Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
ROzynskiA1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Mo Kirkwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wellington, NV
Posts: 78
You were asking if I changed the speedo gear? No, but I do a 10% add for the bigger tires. If my speedo says 50 I am doing 55.There was one of those speed check boxes the highway patrol puts out to check how fast you're going and I used it to do the math. Every 100 miles on the odometer I add 10 miles when I do my gas milage. I see a gear change in my future. I want to take the drag off the axles in high range. I'm starting to hear a howl in the rear axle since I change to bigger tire too. I only have 57,000 miles on it. I do a lot of low range driving too and the lower gears should make things better all around. (I hope.)
Mo Kirkwood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
the great moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROzynskiA1

My Jeep will mostly be used for trail riding and for use in the snow. It will also be used somewhat of a daily driver also (when i'm not on my motorcycle).

Did you notice any loss of power or acceleration when you went to your 33's?
I didn't see a power loss but it did throw off the speedo but just like the previous post just add 5 mph to your speed. Find the correct speedo gear though (i think the black one?) The tires will throw off your odomiter too. I found for every mile I drive I need to add 1.75 miles to the odomitor. I have to be honest I don't know if regearing will correct this issue. I'm happy with the gears I have. They may not be stock though. I think I'm running 3:88s

the great moo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Behind seat ammo box storage question 03Ruth TJ General Discussion Forum 16 07-26-2012 02:02 PM
Frame Question Hockeygeek21 General Jeep Discussion 2 04-05-2012 11:04 PM
Question for the Forum Supporters Casotakar1229 General Jeep Discussion 7 04-05-2012 09:23 PM
Bow bracket hardware question Skawt JK General Discussion Forum 1 04-05-2012 04:16 PM
Poor Brake Performance Question shockey67 JK General Discussion Forum 12 04-05-2012 10:36 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC