Rear axle/ ox locker - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Cbarb54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116
Rear axle/ ox locker

Does anyone know if the superior axles with the ox lockers are worth that money. Or is it better just to find a good used 44 out of a junk yard and upgrade a locker on it. I'm trying to upgrade my axle to accommodate larger tires. And was looking at that setup.

Cbarb54 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,480
Images: 5
Had a buddy run the superior 35 kit with a detroit.. only issues he had where the locker went bad and had to be replaced. Its a good kit, if you plan on bigger than 33's get a truss. Or look into a custom built ford 8.8. Might cost about the same as the kit.

__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is online now   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Gee oh Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 313
I am unable to testify to the quality of the Superior/ox setup, but I can shed a little light on the D44 side of things.

Awhile ago I picked up an 87 Cherokee 2 door that had the D44 *with* an ARB airlocker and plenty of other goodies for $900. Great deal if you ask me. Anyway, I'm still working on running it into the ground, but once it finally craps out I'm taking the rear axle setup and sticking it in the TJ. I've priced out hardware and such for the swap, and I'm looking at roughly $400. Here is the kicker, though, I've still gotta do the swap, and make it right. Going from leaf spring to coil spring isn't "beginner bolt-on" stuff. If you plan on doing everything yourself and don't have tons of automotive knowledge or all the right tools, it may be better to upgrade what you've got instead of swapping. Just a thought.
Gee oh Dee is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
lancetkenyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: AZ-Rock heaven
Posts: 670
In my opinion:

OX Locker:
Good:
Strong
Selectable
No air lines or compressor to die on you
Cheaper than ARB

Bad:
The company has had NUMEROUS closings(hard to tell if they will stick around for much longer)
Hard to find parts or dealers if/when it breaks
Cable actuated, can get pinched or cut or abraided and not lock up, but can be manually locked from under the rig
Still expensive, more than any auto locker(Detroit, Lockright, etc)
lancetkenyon is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Cbarb54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116
Honestly the only reason I have for choosing ox is because my jeep is yellow and black. So I wanted to check and be sure. Lol I did that with my shocks (OME) and I'm really happy with those. Is it a "matter of time" before it breaks? Or depends how hard you push it and the terrain? I of road alot but nothing crazy.
Cbarb54 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbarb54 View Post
Honestly the only reason I have for choosing ox is because my jeep is yellow and black. So I wanted to check and be sure. Lol I did that with my shocks (OME) and I'm really happy with those. Is it a "matter of time" before it breaks? Or depends how hard you push it and the terrain? I of road alot but nothing crazy.
You could always custom paint your Diff Cover to match the jeep if thats the issue.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Cbarb54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table

You could always custom paint your Diff Cover to match the jeep if thats the issue.
Yea but I want the upgrades also. Locker, better axle, bigger tires. The works. Just figured I'd make it look good as well as preform
Cbarb54 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,573
Thats what I figured. It was just an option if you didnt end up going with the OX. I plan on going with a super 35 kit also actually. I will probably go with the detroit locker though. It is not selectable, but I have heard they have very good road manners along with working well offroad. They are also considerably cheaper than the ARB or OX. I havent heard much about OX lockers as it seems not as many people run them. I have heard ARBs are very nice lockers if installed correctly
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Cbarb54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116
Yeah it seems like that's all any ones runs is Detroit. I just liked the though of selectable ones because I'm on road a lot to, and it'd be easy to toggle on an off. But if detroits are good on road as well i might just go that route. With the Detroit's are they always locked? Or are those the ones u do threw your rims?
Cbarb54 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,573
They are an automatic locker. They only work when its necessary. So when a tire begins losing traction, it will lock both wheels together. It will unlock around corners and such though, unlike a full time locker.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
It will unlock around corners and such though, unlike a full time locker.
When you are not on the gas, so coast all the way thru the corners to keep them from locking.

Donn
__________________
My Jeep is NOT an suv and Your suv is NOT a Jeep
30-284 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,501
They are kinda hard to get used to. They will pop like hell every once in awhile. I think the best selectable one out right now is an electric locker. No air, no cable, just a wire (and that's easy to fix if you tear it off)
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
They are kinda hard to get used to.
I have heard this quite a bit, but I have also heard that the detroit has really good road manners.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,501
Yeah I saw you posted that above, that's why I replied. Depends on what you call good road manners. You will slide sideways alot more than you do without it, and the locking and unlocking will scare the hell out of your better half....or at least every female in my family who has a jeep (3 of um lol)
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
lancetkenyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: AZ-Rock heaven
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
They are an automatic locker. They only work when its necessary. So when a tire begins losing traction, it will lock both wheels together. It will unlock around corners and such though, unlike a full time locker.
Incorrect. An "Auto locker" will engage any time torque is applied. Idling or under power, it is like a spool, locking both axle shafts together. Not just when one tire slips like a posi traction (or limited slip) differential. When you are coasting(decelerating), it will disengage, letting on tire spin freely faster than the other, but never letting one turn slower than the drive side(outside tire in a turn will always be the drive tire when under power, causing the inside tire to chirp or spin faster than the ground it is travelling over).

A selectable locker is like an open diff when disengaged, and a spool when engaged(turned on or locked in place).
lancetkenyon is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Cbarb54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116
So a selectable is a lot better for some one who drives on road as much as off?
Cbarb54 is offline   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #17
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetkenyon View Post
Incorrect. An "Auto locker" will engage any time torque is applied. Idling or under power, it is like a spool, locking both axle shafts together. Not just when one tire slips like a posi traction (or limited slip) differential. When you are coasting(decelerating), it will disengage, letting on tire spin freely faster than the other, but never letting one turn slower than the drive side(outside tire in a turn will always be the drive tire when under power, causing the inside tire to chirp or spin faster than the ground it is travelling over).

A selectable locker is like an open diff when disengaged, and a spool when engaged(turned on or locked in place).
My bad, I always manage to goof up the two. Thanks for clarifying lance
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
lancetkenyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: AZ-Rock heaven
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbarb54 View Post
So a selectable is a lot better for some one who drives on road as much as off?
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
My bad, I always manage to goof up the two. Thanks for clarifying lance
No sweat. Too much terminology, not enough time to wheel.
lancetkenyon is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Cbarb54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116
What are some good electric locker brands? And what normally would break the ox lines. Because I'm not really planing on doing a lot of rock climbing with it. I live in lower Alabama. Mostly trails and a lot of mud and hills. Some sand.
Cbarb54 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,573
I think the only name Ive heard of that is electric is ECTED.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
I think the only name Ive heard of that is electric is ECTED.
Yeah thats the Auburn unit...Detroit (eaton) also makes one although I dunno for sure a D35
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #22
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 34,470
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
I think the only name Ive heard of that is electric is ECTED.
The clutch-based ECTED is the very LAST locker I would install. In fact, I wouldn't install one period. The ECTED's clutch pack, when the locker is engaged, can actually slip which means it can slip at the worst possible time. When I want/need a locker, it sure won't have any clutch pack in it.

Eaton makes the E-Locker which is also a selectable locker but a friend of mine on a different forum had one and they basically told him to go pound sand after he had an unexpected problem with it and asked for support.

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of the Detroit Locker. I installed one into the rear of my last '97 TJ and I loved it for the 120K miles I drove with it installed... very well behaved on the street and on the trail, it was like point and shoot. I'd rather have Detroit Lockers front and rear in my present Rubicon than my selectable spool lockers that the factory installed and I finally got working again a few weeks ago.

Ox Lockers? I am no fan of them, I'd pay for ARB Air Lockers before I'd install an Ox Locker that was given to me free. I don't like the cable and I sure don't like the effort it takes to get the cable installed properly and keep it working as it should. ARB's Air Lockers have a SUPERB reputation and only give problems when improperly installed. Properly installed and routed, the ARB's air lines are no more vulnerable to trail damage than the factory fuel and brake lines are.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Cbarb54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The clutch-based ECTED is the very LAST locker I would install. In fact, I wouldn't install one period. The ECTED's clutch pack, when the locker is engaged, can actually slip which means it can slip at the worst possible time. When I want/need a locker, it sure won't have any clutch pack in it.

Eaton makes the E-Locker which is also a selectable locker but a friend of mine on a different forum had one and they basically told him to go pound sand after he had an unexpected problem with it and asked for support.

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of the Detroit Locker. I installed one into the rear of my last '97 TJ and I loved it for the 120K miles I drove with it installed... very well behaved on the street and on the trail, it was like point and shoot. I'd rather have Detroit Lockers front and rear in my present Rubicon than my selectable spool lockers that the factory installed and I finally got working again a few weeks ago.

Ox Lockers? I am no fan of them, I'd pay for ARB Air Lockers before I'd install an Ox Locker that was given to me free. I don't like the cable and I sure don't like the effort it takes to get the cable installed properly and keep it working as it should. ARB's Air Lockers have a SUPERB reputation and only give problems when improperly installed. Properly installed and routed, the ARB's air lines are no more vulnerable to trail damage than the factory fuel and brake lines are.
And that Detroit is perfectly fine on road also?
Cbarb54 is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,501
If you have had one before yes...first time it takes some getting used to. If someone tells you that it doesn't dart and pop around corners and slide you sideways in the rain they are totally full of it. I have run detroits on the street for over 20 years.
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Cbarb54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 116
Yeah no see I live in mobile where it literally rains atleast 3 times a week no matter what season it is. And already flipped one truck lol
Cbarb54 is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #26
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 34,470
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbarb54 View Post
And that Detroit is perfectly fine on road also?
It truly is. The only time I would not want to have a Detroit Locker in a daily driver Jeep is if I had to spend much time on icy or snow-covered roads or trails. In those conditions, it's not a good choice.

But for non-icy/snow-covered roads and trails, it's a superb "bulletproof" automatic locker with very good street manners... and much better behaved than any lunchbox locker. Well, I should say it is very well behaved 99% of the time. Once every great while it will give a slight lurch or wag or a bit of a snap/bang as it "unloads" but once you learn that is normal and that it only does that every once in a while, you become perfectly fine with it. When mine would do that it only gave me a big grin. To me, that's such a non-factor since its positive traits far outweigh that tiny bit of very occasional "remind you that it's there" thing.

I do miss my Detroit Locker. If I was given my choice of lockers to install into another TJ, I'd go with a Detroit Locker front and rear or perhaps if I lived where it was icy/snowy I'd go for an ARB Air Locker in the rear instead.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Locker Lumpo TJ Tech Forum 13 02-10-2010 03:37 PM
Aussie locker on rear D35 BeepBeepImaJeep TJ General Discussion Forum 11 01-31-2010 11:55 PM
Rear Axle 3.07 mallett08 TJ Tech Forum 2 01-30-2010 02:48 AM
The Dana 44 rear axle nickguy General Jeep Discussion 6 06-04-2008 11:29 PM
8.8 Facts, Opinions & How-to's (f.a.q.) Iquois General Jeep Discussion 2 06-15-2007 11:41 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC