Rear Bumper Alternitive - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-06-2005, 03:20 AM   #1
Newb
 
Pizzaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Rear Bumper Alternitive

Looking for a rear step style bumper(ette). I saw a rear step bumperette on a local TJ, but have been unable to relocate that TJ or find the item in catalogs. It looked "Factory" billet or dimond plate. I was trying to avoid a full rear bumper. My grade schoolers hate using the doors. They prefer the "over the side" entry method when the top is down or the "thru the back" when the top is up. An "afordable" rear step or foot pad would be ideal. Will trade Pizza for help.

Pizzaman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2005, 06:06 AM   #2
I got nothin'

WF Lifetime Member
 
jeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Looking for a rear step style bumper(ette). I saw a rear step bumperette on a local TJ, but have been unable to relocate that TJ or find the item in catalogs. It looked "Factory" billet or dimond plate. I was trying to avoid a full rear bumper. My grade schoolers hate using the doors. They prefer the "over the side" entry method when the top is down or the "thru the back" when the top is up. An "afordable" rear step or foot pad would be ideal. Will trade Pizza for help.
Well, the TJ's never came from the factory with the bumperette style rear bumpers that were used on the CJ's/YJ's... If you are looking for a good step, you could install one of the removable/flip-up steps that they sell for your receiver (if you have one), otherwise you could do some research on an aftermarket rear bumper. Most of the "rock crawler" typ rear bumpers that are available in the mail-order catalogs stick out farther than the factory rear bumper. My dog loves mine, but it was built by a local shop - Koz Offroad- in Midland, Michigan. You can check out his website HERE. Good luck with your search!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I like "prick".

Go ahead...quote me on that.
"Hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend... you have to be good for something"

--Aaron Pritchett

If you have to ask what it is or what it does, you don't need it, and you will need help to install it!
jeeperman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Newb
 
Pizzaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Thanks. I have no rear bumper on it now. I've seen the reciever mounted flip-down steps but thought my 32" fattie in the back would block it unless the gate was open. Thought side location of a bumperette would be better. I was trying to avoid getting a pricey full rear bumper. I may have to go see the local welder. He's been wanting to "fix-up" my TJ for awhile. Please pray for me.

Lift it, fat chicks can't jump!.... Now that's Funny. Ha, Ha, Ha!
Pizzaman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
I got nothin'

WF Lifetime Member
 
jeeperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Thanks. I have no rear bumper on it now. I've seen the reciever mounted flip-down steps but thought my 32" fattie in the back would block it unless the gate was open. Thought side location of a bumperette would be better. I was trying to avoid getting a pricey full rear bumper. I may have to go see the local welder. He's been wanting to "fix-up" my TJ for awhile. Please pray for me.

Lift it, fat chicks can't jump!.... Now that's Funny. Ha, Ha, Ha!
You could easily have a welder fab up a couple of bumperettes for the rear of your TJ using the stock mounting holes and a reinforcing plate on the rear of the crossmember in the center (may require some drilling, I don't remember). If you are going to have something custom made, it might as well be what you want. You should be careful though if you have a safety inspection in your state... if you do, make sure that your bumperettes would be legal before paying for them... Have fun with your welder, and you can PM me to get my adress for Pizza delivery!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
I like "prick".

Go ahead...quote me on that.
"Hold my beer while I kiss your girlfriend... you have to be good for something"

--Aaron Pritchett

If you have to ask what it is or what it does, you don't need it, and you will need help to install it!
jeeperman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE Pa.
Posts: 148
YJ bumperettes fit on a TJ - the mounting holes are there.
I have them on my TJ.
Tdad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 3,951
I have bumperettes on my YJ. I have often thought that they would make good storage if I were to have them enclosed and have some sort of hinged locking top on them.
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2005, 12:45 AM   #7
Newb
 
Pizzaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Thanks, when I get them done, I will get pictures

Pizzaman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smittybilt Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier Installed! Rogue TJ General Discussion Forum 8 01-07-2009 12:11 AM
ugh... rear bumper CRAP... jeeps&comics YJ General Discussion Forum 13 07-09-2008 11:32 AM
Show Me Your TJs Rear Bumper nicolas-eric Pictures Forum 7 06-12-2008 08:28 AM
Rear Bumper project NWilhelm TJ General Discussion Forum 30 02-13-2007 07:13 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC