Repainting Fender Flares on '97 Sahara - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Brad[LK1]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Western PA
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Brad[LK1]
Exclamation Repainting Fender Flares on '97 Sahara

I have a '97 Sahara (Forest Green) and I was looking to repaint the fender flares this weekend when I'm doing some body work. Being the Jeep in 13 yrs. old, you can see the flares have had a rough life and all the touch up paint the previous owner has put on the looks terrible! So....I was wondering if anyone has taken on this task before and how it went? These are the color matched flares and not the black plastic, just for reference.....Any help/advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

__________________
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II's
Super Turbo Exhaust

/l ,[_____],
l----L- OlllllO
()_) ()_)----)_)
Brad[LK1] is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Shouldn't be any different than painting black ones. Just clean them well, sand them to smooth out the boogers, scuff the remainder, and have at it....

__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
VolForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Greater Cincinnati
Posts: 1,015
Hey Brad, I'm not sure what color you are wanting to go with, I have a 95 yj and painted my fender flares black, I sanded lightly, cleaned with acetone then used Krylon Fusion paint. It worked great....I pulled my fender flares off after a year (for aftermarket flares that were the width of the tires) but they were still looking good.
__________________
Chuck

1995 YJ
VolForce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
drivebytruckerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,011
Get some Comet from under the sink and wash them down good with that and a brush. It'll take out the old oils/dirt in the pigments and help the paint stick better.
__________________
"Not all who wander are lost.."

2000 TJ Sport 4.0
2005 WK (Grand Cherokee) Limited 5.7 HEMI


(OIF '05-'06 Mahmudiyah, Scania)
drivebytruckerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
You can have your factory color matched in a spray bomb at any quality paint store... Yours are plastic too, just painted to match the body....
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Brad[LK1]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Western PA
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Brad[LK1]
Thanks everyone!...There are a few bigger dingers in the flares where the paint chipped to down to the plastic so I think I'll have to use a slight bit of filler to level it all up, but for the most part it sounds like it's gonna be easy to do!
__________________
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II's
Super Turbo Exhaust

/l ,[_____],
l----L- OlllllO
()_) ()_)----)_)
Brad[LK1] is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 19
I have been luck enough to attend a couple of paint training classes; I will relate what I can recall. Coincidentally, I have a dinner apointment with a paint wholesaler and factory rep tonight to discuss me getting back into the industry(fingers crossed).

I am refering primarly to bumpers but the fender flare shouldn't be that different. Not all plastic parts are made of the same material thus the type of plastic determines the procedure. To cover the most bases, I would suggest using warm soapy water followed by a quality quality wax and greas remover. Be sure to always clean the piece before you do any sanding. If you don't you risk scrubbing any oils or silicon into the surface. After you are done sanding clean it again let dry and paint. There are adhesion promoters; some guys use them some don't.

I would have to go dig up my tech manuals to give specific procedures for the different types of plastics and how to determine which we are dealing with.
rabiddawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Since they are previously painted, and adhesion promoter shouldn't be needed, JMO...

And yes, clean first, then sand, like I stated above. Clean them after you finish all the filling, etc. since your hands will leave oils on them... Make sure your cleaner won't react with the paint. But the best part is.........................it's just paint, if you screw it up, you just start over.....
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Brad[LK1]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Western PA
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Brad[LK1]
True and they're only flares lol. They don't have to be 100% perfect....my luck, I'd get um lookin good and some granny or young kind would hit it in a parking lot and I'd be back to square one
__________________
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II's
Super Turbo Exhaust

/l ,[_____],
l----L- OlllllO
()_) ()_)----)_)
Brad[LK1] is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
drivebytruckerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,011
I've re-painted them on other trucks before and it makes a world of difference.
__________________
"Not all who wander are lost.."

2000 TJ Sport 4.0
2005 WK (Grand Cherokee) Limited 5.7 HEMI


(OIF '05-'06 Mahmudiyah, Scania)
drivebytruckerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
harleyharv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KC
Posts: 139
Im thinking of painting mine this weekend too. Think I will start sprayng some WD40 on the screws tonight. Anyone have problems getting them off? Thats what I am worried most about, 10 year old rusty screws to get out!!??
__________________
If Im not in my Jeep......Im on my
harleyharv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,149
Images: 2
Since the flairs are flexible, standard paint may crack & flake off. I would use Krylon Fusion which is made specifically for painting flexible plastics, polyurethanes, etc. It remains flexible and adheres well so it should last a long time.

Rustoleum recently came out with a product to compete with Krylon Fusion, it should work equally well.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyharv View Post
Im thinking of painting mine this weekend too. Think I will start sprayng some WD40 on the screws tonight. Anyone have problems getting them off? Thats what I am worried most about, 10 year old rusty screws to get out!!??
Paint them on the Jeep... Just stuff some index cards between them and the body, then mask the rest with paper/whatever... That's what I did, faster and easier....
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
burton160w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Underneath my TJ
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Rustoleum recently came out with a product to compete with Krylon Fusion, it should work equally well.
False. Rustoleum's plastic paint is terrible. I mean god awful. I just touched up my driver side front and rear and you can see the spots where it doesn't adhere well. It just looks terrible and it's even difficult in the spraying process. I've actually used Valspar's paint (Lowes) and it came out better then the Rustoleum plastic crap. I'd only recommend Krylon Fusion, the ones I used the Krylon Fusion on look like it's straight from the factory. You can't tell there painted... until you spill gasoline on them

I love Rustoleums spray paint for metal. I'd recommend it over all the others, but the spray nozzle on the Krylon Fusion plus how well it blends and adheres make it the only thing I'd ever use.
__________________
It's got a Willy's body, a Chevy engine, Ford axles, GM transmission, and Dodge steering components... it must be a Wrangler.
burton160w is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Jollyczar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 348
I had to take my fenders off due to both front fenders and flares having some damage. The rusted screws were a BITCH. All of the ones where there arethe little black plastic backings aren't so bad. The hard parts are the ones that are screwed into the rivets. Talk about terrible engineering decisions. I hosed all of them with liquid wrench ahead of time and still ALL of the rivets separated from the body panel to where they would spin freely making them difficult to screw out. The ones where you have no access to the back were IMPOSSIBLE. I ended up carefully heating the flare so that I pull it off of the head of the fastener. I then had to use a hacksaw to carefully cut the seized fastener off. My intention is to drill those out and treat the new hole with something to protect it from rusting and then finding a larger diameter screw to just screw directly into the body.

If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

The only black Krylon Fusion paint that I can find looks like its glossy. I've been reading everyone's bad reviews about the Rustoleum but they are the only ones that have paint for plastic that specifies "Satin Finish". I don't really want glossy flares. Are there other Fusion options out there? If so, where did you find them? I can only find the one type of black Fusion at my local Walmart.

Someone else told me that an old body shop trick to clear up oxidation from plastic auto trim is to use brake fluid. This guy told me to carefully wipe down the flares with brake fluid and let it bring all of the oxidation to the surface. He said you wipe them down after a while and they will be as black as day they were made (that is how the back-to-black stuff supposedly works).

Big disclaimer: I haven't tried it and haven't seen it done by anyone so try it at your own risk.

Sorry for the long post..... I'm bored.
__________________
Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.

George S. Patton
Jollyczar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyczar View Post
I had to take my fenders off due to both front fenders and flares having some damage. The rusted screws were a BITCH. All of the ones where there arethe little black plastic backings aren't so bad. The hard parts are the ones that are screwed into the rivets. Talk about terrible engineering decisions. I hosed all of them with liquid wrench ahead of time and still ALL of the rivets separated from the body panel to where they would spin freely making them difficult to screw out. The ones where you have no access to the back were IMPOSSIBLE. I ended up carefully heating the flare so that I pull it off of the head of the fastener. I then had to use a hacksaw to carefully cut the seized fastener off. My intention is to drill those out and treat the new hole with something to protect it from rusting and then finding a larger diameter screw to just screw directly into the body.

If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

The only black Krylon Fusion paint that I can find looks like its glossy. I've been reading everyone's bad reviews about the Rustoleum but they are the only ones that have paint for plastic that specifies "Satin Finish". I don't really want glossy flares. Are there other Fusion options out there? If so, where did you find them? I can only find the one type of black Fusion at my local Walmart.

Someone else told me that an old body shop trick to clear up oxidation from plastic auto trim is to use brake fluid. This guy told me to carefully wipe down the flares with brake fluid and let it bring all of the oxidation to the surface. He said you wipe them down after a while and they will be as black as day they were made (that is how the back-to-black stuff supposedly works).

Big disclaimer: I haven't tried it and haven't seen it done by anyone so try it at your own risk.

Sorry for the long post..... I'm bored.

You can put any old clear over the Fusion to dull the finish if you can't find a satin or semi flat. Just don't go too many coats with a flat clear or it'll fog on you. I painted mine with plain old Krylon semi flat black and they are holding up fine... But, it's only been since maybe May... As long as they are clean (degreased) before you scuff them, and you scuff them well, most stuff will stick, and if it doesn't it's not that big a deal to do over....
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,149
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by burton160w View Post
False. Rustoleum's plastic paint is terrible. I mean god awful. I just touched up my driver side front and rear and you can see the spots where it doesn't adhere well. It just looks terrible and it's even difficult in the spraying process. I've actually used Valspar's paint (Lowes) and it came out better then the Rustoleum plastic crap. I'd only recommend Krylon Fusion, the ones I used the Krylon Fusion on look like it's straight from the factory.
That is good to know about Rustoleum's new plastic paint, I'll stop mentioning it as a possible alternative to Krylon's Fusion.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
drivebytruckerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That is good to know about Rustoleum's new plastic paint, I'll stop mentioning it as a possible alternative to Krylon's Fusion.
Just a note.. any paint will do this sort of thing, no matter the quality if the surface isn't properly prepared.. that's why I always use comet to scrub down surfaces before priming/painting.. could be crappy product.. but maybe not.
__________________
"Not all who wander are lost.."

2000 TJ Sport 4.0
2005 WK (Grand Cherokee) Limited 5.7 HEMI


(OIF '05-'06 Mahmudiyah, Scania)
drivebytruckerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
harleyharv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KC
Posts: 139
Got em done, not perfect but good enough for the dogs I roll with! I took InfernoGirl's suggestion and painted them on the Jeep. Looks 100% better!
Used Krylon Fusion Satin Black, cleaned and wiped with acetone and sanded with 400 grit between all 4 coats.


Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepin 010.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	21607
__________________
If Im not in my Jeep......Im on my
harleyharv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
burton160w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Underneath my TJ
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivebytruckerz View Post
Just a note.. any paint will do this sort of thing, no matter the quality if the surface isn't properly prepared.. that's why I always use comet to scrub down surfaces before priming/painting.. could be crappy product.. but maybe not.
Oh no, I've spray painted a few things in my lifetime. This was sanded down the grits with a palm sander, washed with simple green, then comet (which I think you had recommended before and I liked it ) and painted with light light layers (I usually do about 12 coats of LIGHT spraying). YMMV, but for me, I had a terrible first experience with Rustoleum Plastics.

Quote:
The only black Krylon Fusion paint that I can find looks like its glossy.
What I used was the Satin finish I believe, and I definitely got it at Wal-Mart. Yea I wouldn't do glossy either definitely.
__________________
It's got a Willy's body, a Chevy engine, Ford axles, GM transmission, and Dodge steering components... it must be a Wrangler.
burton160w is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Dirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 178
funny, I just took my forest green flairs off and replaced them with black ones.
Dirt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2
What kind of prep is involved in repainting? I'm going to use Krylon Fusion, but my flares are already painted. What grit sandpaper should I use, etc. Sorry if I sound like a moron, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use this site. Just started a profile today. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
jeuler82 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Conway, AR
Posts: 201
Just sand with 150 grit enough to scuff em up pretty good, wipe clean with a rag, then wipe dry and go for it. I just did this with some spray on stone guard, and trimmed them while I was at it. Link here:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/trimmed-and-bedlined-flares-and-body-68023.html
__________________
"Damn this traffic jam, how I hate to be late. It hurts my motor to go so slow.."
toxictv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #24
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxictv View Post
Just sand with 150 grit enough to scuff em up pretty good, wipe clean with a rag, then wipe dry and go for it. I just did this with some spray on stone guard, and trimmed them while I was at it. Link here:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/trimmed-and-bedlined-flares-and-body-68023.html
Thanks toxic. Like I said, I'm new to the forums and this is my first Jeep.I have a feeling I'll be asking a lot of questions for a while. I've gotten about 20 different answers from 10 different people about what grit to use, but your TJ looks pretty bad ass so I think I'll take your advice. Thanks for the help.

jeuler82 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smittybilt XRC Fender Flares pheobo JK General Discussion Forum 4 05-07-2010 06:17 PM
Help with stock fender flares, please?? MrsZR7 TJ General Discussion Forum 14 06-26-2009 08:56 PM
Fender Flares for Sahara Models..what gives? DaveC YJ Tech Forum 2 07-06-2007 04:21 PM
What Fender Flares on LJ with 33's ? ? ? Need pics ersatz TJ General Discussion Forum 2 02-02-2007 05:27 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC