Rock lights? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Rock lights?

I need some lights under my jeep for some night wheeling anyone do this for cheap?? Pictures much appreciated! Thanks yall

Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
It depends on what you mean by cheap, i've seen some on Amazon.com for around $90. i think they were water proof and came with all the installation hardware. just remember that every state has laws about what lights you can have under you vehicle.

KSigma_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
HarryJeepGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,071
TBrownSTL turned me on to these in the picture challenge thread. I haven't seen them in action yet, but they look like a good deal.

Oznium.com. Then it's the pre wired super flux 4 chip. Already water proof. Also under warranty if damaged for
Any reason. I bought 10 of those and only cost me $30
HarryJeepGuy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,104
I had them on my CJ years ago. Used lights from Tractor Supply, in a rubber housing. About $10 each.
__________________
Lynn
'05 LJ
lynn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
I had them on my CJ years ago. Used lights from Tractor Supply, in a rubber housing. About $10 each.
How many did u end up using? Ad like were did you bolt them up to I was planning on using these..
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mooresville,NC
Posts: 190
vision x kit is great comes with everything you need and is on a remote control
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	414894_4117532824627_304170974_o.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	142087  
Got 4 Lo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got 4 Lo
vision x kit is great comes with everything you need and is on a remote control
How much did that whole setup run ya?
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mooresville,NC
Posts: 190
130 picture doesnt do them justice
Got 4 Lo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 576
When I purchased my LJ, the previous owner mounted some cheep lights inside the front fenders. I have yet to use them at night on the rocks, but I think they will help me see my front tires on the trail. Look kinda cool at night too...
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM
When I purchased my LJ, the previous owner mounted some cheep lights inside the front fenders. I have yet to use them at night on the rocks, but I think they will help me see my front tires on the trail. Look kinda cool at night too...
Yeah I just want them too see my diffs mostly..
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 576
I would think you would want to see your front wheels. That way you can see how and where they are on the rocks. Get the front tires on the rocks correctly your difs should be good. It is easy and cheep to get a pair of lights and mount them up. I was going to take mine off because I do not plan on wheeling at night. But I think they are good to have in case I get stuck on the trail and I'm force to make my way back in the dark.
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 93
Here's what I did:

I wanted to add some light to the underside of the Jeep and found a vendor on Pirate that was selling little LED light modules that were very compact and waterproof for $35 for a string of 20 light modules. Here’s the website:

LED Lights ~ Horse Power Juice! - Rev-X

He sells both the light strands as well as kits which contain the light modules, wire and connectors.

They come as one long string, so you have to cut the wires between each light and splice longer pig tails onto the existing wires. I used the solder pot at work to tin all the leads, since there were 80 individual ends to tin! Since there are two wires coming into each module and two wires exiting, you need to do something with the exiting wires, so I cut them short and covered them with a small piece of heat shrink tubing.

Once that was complete, I soldered the pig tails onto each light and used shrink tubing to insulate the joints. I used 16 gauge wires as these hardly draw any current. I decided to run a parallel circuit with a positive wire and a ground wire, rather than having a bunch of individual grounds to the frame for each light. Obviously, this made it a little more complex, but I didn’t like the idea of having all those separate grounds.



The Jeep was wired for factory fog lamps, but the lights were removed when the new bumpers were installed, although the wiring remained. I used those circuits, one on each side of the Jeep to provide power to the rock lights. The factory fog light switch now works the rock lights.

I studied the underside of the Jeep for some time, deciding on the best placement for the light modules. I tried to come up with light placements that would be able to illuminate the ground just in front/behind the wheels, as well as some lighting for critical areas like differentials and driveshaft’s.

The final placement of the seventeen modules was with three across the front bumper area, two in each front wheel well, one on each side (driver/passenger) on the frame near the front control arm mounts, two on each side tucked up in the tub along the sides where the rock sliders are, one on each side on the frame near the rear control arm mounts and two tucked on the underside of the tub above the rear differential. If you look carefully at the last picture you'll see an in-process picture of my gas tank skid plate that I built.









The light modules were all fastened in place first, using either a #6 x ¾” self-tapping screw through the center hole of the module or using the 3M double stick adhesive that was on the back of the modules. The modules don’t weigh anything and the adhesive seemed fairly strong, so I don’t really have any concerns about them coming loose.

After they were placed, I ran the supply wires to each light and attached them with a combination of waterproof butt splices and Scotchlock connectors. I know that the Scotchlock’s can be problematic at sometimes, but since this wasn’t really a mission critical use I decided it would be okay to use them in this application. All the wiring was encased in 3/8” split loom wire and taped up with friction tape.

The main wiring harness ran along the frame rails from front to rear, with the lights being branched off from it along the way. Everything was zip-tied in place to keep it neat and tucked up out of the way.

It took a while to get everything figured out , with regards to location and wiring, but overall a great project that lights up the underside of the Jeep with a brilliant white light. I've got six of the red LED modules, and thinking about adding those inside the cab, for the total UFO effect

Here’s a few shots of the Jeep, taken in total darkness. The crappy cell phone photos don’t really do it justice, as the effect is a very bright, white light that makes the underside of the Jeep bright as day.






giles45shop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop
Here's what I did:

I wanted to add some light to the underside of the Jeep and found a vendor on Pirate that was selling little LED light modules that were very compact and waterproof for $35 for a string of 20 light modules. Here’s the website:

LED Lights ~ Horse Power Juice! - Rev-X

He sells both the light strands as well as kits which contain the light modules, wire and connectors.

They come as one long string, so you have to cut the wires between each light and splice longer pig tails onto the existing wires. I used the solder pot at work to tin all the leads, since there were 80 individual ends to tin! Since there are two wires coming into each module and two wires exiting, you need to do something with the exiting wires, so I cut them short and covered them with a small piece of heat shrink tubing.

Once that was complete, I soldered the pig tails onto each light and used shrink tubing to insulate the joints. I used 16 gauge wires as these hardly draw any current. I decided to run a parallel circuit with a positive wire and a ground wire, rather than having a bunch of individual grounds to the frame for each light. Obviously, this made it a little more complex, but I didn’t like the idea of having all those separate grounds.

The Jeep was wired for factory fog lamps, but the lights were removed when the new bumpers were installed, although the wiring remained. I used those circuits, one on each side of the Jeep to provide power to the rock lights. The factory fog light switch now works the rock lights.

I studied the underside of the Jeep for some time, deciding on the best placement for the light modules. I tried to come up with light placements that would be able to illuminate the ground just in front/behind the wheels, as well as some lighting for critical areas like differentials and driveshaft’s.

The final placement of the seventeen modules was with three across the front bumper area, two in each front wheel well, one on each side (driver/passenger) on the frame near the front control arm mounts, two on each side tucked up in the tub along the sides where the rock sliders are, one on each side on the frame near the rear control arm mounts and two tucked on the underside of the tub above the rear differential. If you look carefully at the last picture you'll see an in-process picture of my gas tank skid plate that I built.

The light modules were all fastened in place first, using either a #6 x ¾” self-tapping screw through the center hole of the module or using the 3M double stick adhesive that was on the back of the modules. The modules don’t weigh anything and the adhesive seemed fairly strong, so I don’t really have any concerns about them coming loose.

After they were placed, I ran the supply wires to each light and attached them with a combination of waterproof butt splices and Scotchlock connectors. I know that the Scotchlock’s can be problematic at sometimes, but since this wasn’t really a mission critical use I decided it would be okay to use them in this application. All the wiring was encased in 3/8” split loom wire and taped up with friction tape.

The main wiring harness ran along the frame rails from front to rear, with the lights being branched off from it along the way. Everything was zip-tied in place to keep it neat and tucked up out of the way.

It took a while to get everything figured out , with regards to location and wiring, but overall a great project that lights up the underside of the Jeep with a brilliant white light. I've got six of the red LED modules, and thinking about adding those inside the cab, for the total UFO effect

Here’s a few shots of the Jeep, taken in total darkness. The crappy cell phone photos don’t really do it justice, as the effect is a very bright, white light that makes the underside of the Jeep bright as day.
Aww man that looks awesome, how much r u into all that
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
TnDz TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,925
Images: 220
I found these a while back.... haven't got them yet, but a great price....$52 + $8 shipping

White 60 LED Bright ATV Jeep Rock Lighting -Easy Mount | eBay



__________________
~Todd~ 2004 X 4.0 5 speed---SOLD
4" Lift, 4.56's, 33" Duratracs on M/T Classics
RR SYE, Tatton CV, MML, BL, TT, Dynomax Exhaust
Hella Lighting: Driving, Fogs and H4 E-Codes
NOPE! ... and NEVER will be...
TnDz TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnDz TJ
I found these a while back.... haven't got them yet, but a great price....$52 + $8 shipping

White 60 LED Bright ATV Jeep Rock Lighting -Easy Mount | eBay
Aww those would've perfect, I'll check into these
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
Here's what I did:

I wanted to add some light to the underside of the Jeep and found a vendor on Pirate that was selling little LED light modules that were very compact and waterproof for $35 for a string of 20 light modules. Here’s the website:

LED Lights ~ Horse Power Juice! - Rev-X

He sells both the light strands as well as kits which contain the light modules, wire and connectors.

They come as one long string, so you have to cut the wires between each light and splice longer pig tails onto the existing wires. I used the solder pot at work to tin all the leads, since there were 80 individual ends to tin! Since there are two wires coming into each module and two wires exiting, you need to do something with the exiting wires, so I cut them short and covered them with a small piece of heat shrink tubing.

Once that was complete, I soldered the pig tails onto each light and used shrink tubing to insulate the joints. I used 16 gauge wires as these hardly draw any current. I decided to run a parallel circuit with a positive wire and a ground wire, rather than having a bunch of individual grounds to the frame for each light. Obviously, this made it a little more complex, but I didn’t like the idea of having all those separate grounds.



The Jeep was wired for factory fog lamps, but the lights were removed when the new bumpers were installed, although the wiring remained. I used those circuits, one on each side of the Jeep to provide power to the rock lights. The factory fog light switch now works the rock lights.

I studied the underside of the Jeep for some time, deciding on the best placement for the light modules. I tried to come up with light placements that would be able to illuminate the ground just in front/behind the wheels, as well as some lighting for critical areas like differentials and driveshaft’s.

The final placement of the seventeen modules was with three across the front bumper area, two in each front wheel well, one on each side (driver/passenger) on the frame near the front control arm mounts, two on each side tucked up in the tub along the sides where the rock sliders are, one on each side on the frame near the rear control arm mounts and two tucked on the underside of the tub above the rear differential. If you look carefully at the last picture you'll see an in-process picture of my gas tank skid plate that I built.









The light modules were all fastened in place first, using either a #6 x ¾” self-tapping screw through the center hole of the module or using the 3M double stick adhesive that was on the back of the modules. The modules don’t weigh anything and the adhesive seemed fairly strong, so I don’t really have any concerns about them coming loose.

After they were placed, I ran the supply wires to each light and attached them with a combination of waterproof butt splices and Scotchlock connectors. I know that the Scotchlock’s can be problematic at sometimes, but since this wasn’t really a mission critical use I decided it would be okay to use them in this application. All the wiring was encased in 3/8” split loom wire and taped up with friction tape.

The main wiring harness ran along the frame rails from front to rear, with the lights being branched off from it along the way. Everything was zip-tied in place to keep it neat and tucked up out of the way.

It took a while to get everything figured out , with regards to location and wiring, but overall a great project that lights up the underside of the Jeep with a brilliant white light. I've got six of the red LED modules, and thinking about adding those inside the cab, for the total UFO effect

Here’s a few shots of the Jeep, taken in total darkness. The crappy cell phone photos don’t really do it justice, as the effect is a very bright, white light that makes the underside of the Jeep bright as day.






This is WAY better than my cheep lights! I may have to do this to mine. Thanks for the post.
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 93
Glad you like it! It wasn't really very expensive to do ($30 worth of lights, some connectors, couple 30' rolls of wire, shrink tubing and wire wrap), but did take some time to get all the placements figured out and wires run.
giles45shop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Juhcohbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop
Glad you like it! It wasn't really very expensive to do ($30 worth of lights, some connectors, couple 30' rolls of wire, shrink tubing and wire wrap), but did take some time to get all the placements figured out and wires run.
Sweet dude welcome to the forum too!
Juhcohbee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
OIIIIIO

WF Supporting Member
 
T2000J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
Here's what I did:

I wanted to add some light to the underside of the Jeep and found a vendor on Pirate that was selling little LED light modules that were very compact and waterproof for $35 for a string of 20 light modules. Here’s the website:

LED Lights ~ Horse Power Juice! - Rev-X


Did you have any problems getting ahold of him ? I've been trying to place a order with him the past 3 days
__________________


JEEP WRANGLER
T2000J is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 93
No,

I didn't have any problems, but I'm pretty sure he's a one man operation and his brother just passed away, so he's probably dealing with a lot of issues right now:

25% off ALL ROCK LIGHTS - ALL SALES GO TO BROTHERS FUNERAL - Pirate4x4.Com
giles45shop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
OIIIIIO

WF Supporting Member
 
T2000J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
No,

I didn't have any problems, but I'm pretty sure he's a one man operation and his brother just passed away, so he's probably dealing with a lot of issues right now:
Thats not good

No rush on my part. I sent a couple emails just no reply
When I get sent to paypal they send me back to his site . I know my paypal is working I just used it . Maybe I'll just try to call him since he is looking for some quick sales just dont want to bother him being he is going through hard times right now.

Thanks for the info

__________________


JEEP WRANGLER
T2000J is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC