Roll bar pads - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Roll bar pads

I'd like to get a full set of Black Roll Bar Pads to replace my Tan ones. Does anyone know where I can get a complete, good quality set for a reasonable price?

(BTW, my Rig is a 98 Sahara)

The only complete set that I've found so far was $175. Jeeez, they're just pads for Heavens Sake! Others that I found are around $100, but I don't think they are the complete set because it only shows 1 bar in the picture.

I've even thought of just buying some fabric dye and dye my tan ones, but all the chicks say NO, it won't dye evenly. So, I dunno.

Would anyone like to donate some??? heh,heh.

__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 111
Note on the dye

I used black dye for pants for work before and it seemed to work well. I used the standard RIT dye that is sold at the grocery store. Just make sure you soak them 2-3x longer than recommended (can black be too black?) and wash them out well you should be fine.

chief100psu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Fields of pain is where I graze
 
activelydying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galt's Gaulch
Posts: 3,325
I just painted mine and the chicks love me.
__________________
" Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." Bukowski
activelydying is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by activelydying View Post
I just painted mine and the chicks love me.
There ya go!
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,197
Images: 2
Chicks don't dye stuff anymore, they don't know WTF they're talking about where dying is concerned nowadays. I had to dye a white t-shirt brown for a military thing years ago and I had to do it myself, my wife didn't have a clue how to do it. Go buy a couple aerosol cans of fabric seat dye at your local autoparts store and go for it. Black is easy to get even.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Chicks don't dye stuff anymore, they don't know WTF they're talking about where dying is concerned nowadays. I had to dye a white t-shirt brown for a military thing years ago and I had to do it myself, my wife didn't have a clue how to do it. Go buy a couple aerosol cans of fabric seat dye at your local autoparts store and go for it. Black is easy to get even.
lol, that's true. I think what they were "trying" to tell me is that the Roll Bar Pad type of material wouldn't soak the dye up evenly. I've never dyed Jack Sh*t before, so I didn't know what to think about it.

I never thought about fabric spray on dye, that's a good idea. Has anyone ever used that before? Does it work good, or does it rub off relatively easy?

Which of the two methods do you think would work better. Spray ON, or Soak IN?
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 111
I used it on the door panels of my old camaro. I never looked quite even and took a lot of cans to finish the job. If (maybe some one can attest) the roll pads are washable, then I suggest the RIT dye. You really need to wash out the excess.

Remember when you had to wash new clothes separate? The dye needs to be completely be washed away. I would be hesitant to use the spray dye as I am not sure how it would react to water (stuck in a rain shower w/o the top)
chief100psu is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief100psu View Post
I used it on the door panels of my old camaro. I never looked quite even and took a lot of cans to finish the job. If (maybe some one can attest) the roll pads are washable, then I suggest the RIT dye. You really need to wash out the excess.

Remember when you had to wash new clothes separate? The dye needs to be completely be washed away. I would be hesitant to use the spray dye as I am not sure how it would react to water (stuck in a rain shower w/o the top)
VERY GOOD POINT CHIEF!
It's possible that the dye could run off your pads, (in a rain storm) and get into your carpet.

Anyone done this before?
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,197
Images: 2
They're not going to use water soluable dye, especially not for automotive applications. Get out of analysis paralysis and go buy some aerosol fabric seat cover dye from your local Autozone.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Fields of pain is where I graze
 
activelydying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galt's Gaulch
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Go buy a couple aerosol cans of fabric seat dye at your local autoparts store and go for it. Black is easy to get even.

That's what I did. It's holding up great.
__________________
" Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." Bukowski
activelydying is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
whiteyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasanton CA
Posts: 4,856
or you can buy a new set of Bestop covers at Quadratec.
__________________
Fallen Angel...Former MOD
whiteyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
Fields of pain is where I graze
 
activelydying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galt's Gaulch
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyj View Post
or you can buy a new set of Bestop covers at Quadratec.

What!!!!

That's crazy talk

oh wait, I forgot you own a YJ. I guess crazy is already a given
__________________
" Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." Bukowski
activelydying is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,197
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyj View Post
or you can buy a new set of Bestop covers at Quadratec.
Hmmm... let's see... $152 for new black sport bar covers or dye the covers black for $14 for two cans of aerosol fabric spray. Hmmm...
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
whiteyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasanton CA
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Hmmm... let's see... $152 for new black sport bar covers or dye the covers black for $14 for two cans of aerosol fabric spray. Hmmm...
Well to each their own....Actually didn't cost the $106 is does today to replace the set, but much happier with the way they look.

Kind of like the folks on here that pay a shop to install their lifts rather than doing it themselves.

The beauty of the damn hobby is you have many choices to make. I much prefer the look of my new set of roll bar covers than something that has been rattle canned. However I did my own lift installation. Not to save a buck but so that if the day comes I bend or break something I know what goes where and how to fix it. It's all about how YOU wnat ot spend YOUR dollars.
__________________
Fallen Angel...Former MOD
whiteyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,197
Images: 2
Dying the fabric is exactly how the pads are made black from the factory and dying them black with an aerosol fabric dye is what is being suggested here. We're not talking about "rattle canning" them black with Rustoleum paint. $152 is what Quadratec is selling new pads for.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
whiteyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasanton CA
Posts: 4,856
Jerry, You're splitting hairs....Aerosol dye is still a rattle can. Yes it is an option if you are willing to settle for the finish. A set of ten year old faded pads dyed up with aerosol cans or a new set. It's still about options. OP was for a "complete, good quality set". The Bestop set is just that.
__________________
Fallen Angel...Former MOD
whiteyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 5,045
Images: 1
Jerry,

The Duplicolor vinyl/fabric spray from the parts store going to hold up. I've used it before on seats in my Mustang. The top of the rear searts under the hatch were badly faded from the sun. I sprayed the seats and they did look good but within two years they were pretty faded. My seat were sprayed the same color that they were. I'd say going from tan to black on the roll bars that are going to see direct sun, that they will fade fast. According to folks on other boards, the spray dye by SEM is supposed to be a much better product.

With that said, I did have some black Duplicolor spray around from another project and did hit my already black roll bar pads late this season. The seams were slightly faded and they do look better but I expect next summer they will be faded.
Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Sb5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 2,077
I took mine off. Is that bad?
__________________
No more jeep for now
But I have free kandy and kittens in the back of my van


Sb5551 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #19
MOz
Jeeper
 
MOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Poconos
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb5551 View Post
I took mine off. Is that bad?
I took half of mine off - is that worse?
__________________


It ain't no fun unless you get some of it on you.
MOz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #20
MOz
Jeeper
 
MOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Poconos
Posts: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
Jerry,

The Duplicolor vinyl/fabric spray from the parts store going to hold up. I've used it before on seats in my Mustang. The top of the rear searts under the hatch were badly faded from the sun. I sprayed the seats and they did look good but within two years they were pretty faded. My seat were sprayed the same color that they were. I'd say going from tan to black on the roll bars that are going to see direct sun, that they will fade fast. According to folks on other boards, the spray dye by SEM is supposed to be a much better product.

With that said, I did have some black Duplicolor spray around from another project and did hit my already black roll bar pads late this season. The seams were slightly faded and they do look better but I expect next summer they will be faded.
Anything that sets in the sun will fade. Paint, fabric...it's just a matter of time.
__________________


It ain't no fun unless you get some of it on you.
MOz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #21
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,197
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
Jerry,

The Duplicolor vinyl/fabric spray from the parts store going to hold up. I've used it before on seats in my Mustang. The top of the rear searts under the hatch were badly faded from the sun. I sprayed the seats and they did look good but within two years they were pretty faded.
My OE black roll bar covers and my brand-new Bestop fabric seats faded from the sun too. I hope you're not trying to say that new Bestop sport bar covers from Quadratec won't fade in the sun but the covers re-dyed black with the aerosol spray dye will.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Sb5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOz View Post
I took half of mine off - is that worse?
I think its only half as bad.
__________________
No more jeep for now
But I have free kandy and kittens in the back of my van


Sb5551 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #23
Wrecktrician
 
4point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Sierra
Posts: 7,351
I want "Real Tree" type camo pads for my roll bar, does anyone make these?
__________________
Just getting to work is an adventure.
4point is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4point View Post
I want "Real Tree" type camo pads for my roll bar, does anyone make these?
I haven't seen "Real Tree" Camo Pads, but Quadratec does have some regular Camo Pads.
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
JCS05Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: central md
Posts: 2,748
Does anyone make pads for the newer (04/05+) thicker roll bars? I tore he top of my padding up a year or two ago and never did find a decent replacement that was less than $150 bucks. That was too much for me, some black electrical tape holds it together fine
__________________
Dad's Blog! http://justkeepliving.blog.com/
T-Shirts for Dad, based on his "Just Keep Living" philosophy. http://www.cafepress.com/justkeepliving


1997 Wrangler Sport - 5 spd. Retired
2005 Wrangler Rubicon - 6spd|KC 55watt fogs, IPF H4s with fatboys,Uniden CB radio/Teraflex mount
http://www.4x4s-pod.com/
JCS05Rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #26
Wrecktrician
 
4point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Sierra
Posts: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post
I haven't seen "Real Tree" Camo Pads, but Quadratec does have some regular Camo Pads.
I tried to talk my MIL into making them for me, she's really talented in sewing things. She never brought up the issue again, so I figure she doesn't want to do it.
__________________
Just getting to work is an adventure.
4point is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
jdhallissey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Gurnee,IL
Posts: 5,104
Send a message via AIM to jdhallissey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi View Post
Does anyone make pads for the newer (04/05+) thicker roll bars? I tore he top of my padding up a year or two ago and never did find a decent replacement that was less than $150 bucks. That was too much for me, some black electrical tape holds it together fine
You my good man sickin me to puking! Electrical tape? what were you thinking, we have the BLACK DUCK TAPE! Shame on you
jdhallissey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,473
I get suspicious when I see too much padding.
One day I was talking to a guy in a restaurant with a beautiful CJ he'd just bought that morning. It was on a trailer.
It was beautiful, nice paint, lots of chrome (obviously never been off road,) lots of "goodies." He paid a tall price for it too.

I leaned on the heavily padded cage - it moved! ???

The padding covered up the secret - the cage was PVC!

I don't know what happened when he took it back -.
__________________
It's no wonder the country is falling apart - stupidity abounds!
rrich is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
KellyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: spokane washington
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrich View Post
I get suspicious when I see too much padding.
One day I was talking to a guy in a restaurant with a beautiful CJ he'd just bought that morning. It was on a trailer.
It was beautiful, nice paint, lots of chrome (obviously never been off road,) lots of "goodies." He paid a tall price for it too.

I leaned on the heavily padded cage - it moved! ???

The padding covered up the secret - the cage was PVC!

I don't know what happened when he took it back -.


Its for wheeling in the ball cage at mcdonalds....
KellyK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Neil F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Marlton, NJ
Posts: 5,045
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My OE black roll bar covers and my brand-new Bestop fabric seats faded from the sun too. I hope you're not trying to say that new Bestop sport bar covers from Quadratec won't fade in the sun but the covers re-dyed black with the aerosol spray dye will.
No most items will obviously will fade. The point is the spray did not hold up well at all. The seats I sprayed were 18 years old. The spray did not hold up. Within one year they were noticeably faded and two years before they were right back to where they were. I would say that was not worth the effort.

Neil F. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
roll bar or no? rebelBullDawg325 YJ General Discussion Forum 5 12-12-2008 03:51 PM
removing roll cage padding slippy TJ General Discussion Forum 5 07-23-2008 07:08 PM
Got a Question about the roll Bar (Pics Added) Jay2125 TJ General Discussion Forum 26 07-17-2008 10:06 PM
Spray on or roll on bedliner gerritvan YJ General Discussion Forum 5 10-15-2006 02:07 PM
Sport Bar vs Roll Bar Agent Orange TJ General Discussion Forum 5 11-07-2005 04:13 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC