Rough country 6 inch lift ????? Anybody have any input? - Page 5 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #121
Jeeper
 
BDJeep79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 148
I constantly see people bash rough country lifts. Most of which have absolutely no experience with them. Everyone just says stay away from them but never gives a reason from personal experience. My 4in long arm rc lift will go anywhere any other 4in long arm kit will go. Sure there are better quality lifts out there. But the only thing I can think Of that you will ever have to rebuild/replace is the joints (less then $20 each) and the shocks and it's only a matter of time before you have to do that with any long arm lift.

BDJeep79 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #122
Jeeper
 
05unlimitededition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Ok so I might have came across a little extra cash and want to ask one more time. What is the best lift for the money ? In the $1500-&2500 range

05unlimitededition is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #123
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05unlimitededition View Post
Ok so I might have came across a little extra cash and want to ask one more time. What is the best lift for the money ? In the $1500-&2500 range
Savvy Offroad
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #124
Jeeper
 
T2000J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05unlimitededition View Post
Ok so I might have came across a little extra cash and want to ask one more time. What is the best lift for the money ? In the $1500-&2500 range
MC or Savvy
__________________


JEEP WRANGLER
T2000J is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #125
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2000J View Post
MC or Savvy
Agreed.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #126
Jeeper
 
05unlimitededition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Mc?
05unlimitededition is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #127
Creepy Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
BLK00TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,194
MetalCloak.
__________________
Wheel. Break/Test. Repair/Upgrade. Repeat
BLK00TJ's YouTube Channel -- BLK00TJ's Build
BLK00TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #128
Jeeper
 
05unlimitededition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Ahhh. Ok. Got it.
05unlimitededition is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #129
i am fluent in kryptonian

WF Supporting Member
 
thetoadLJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 478
just another fwiw... ive had RC 2.5" lift and ran it for about 1 1/2 years. only got 1.5" of lift out of the kit and the shocks were terribly uncomfortable. maybe the 6" lift is better than the 2.5" but i would not buy RC again based on my experience with their 2.5" lift. i now run a RE 4.5" short arm which i am for the most part pleased with. although my forum-mates did warn me about squeaky control arms... and they were right lol.
__________________
LJ I6 4.0l, Rubicon Express 4.5" lift, 32" BFG A/T tires, steel ProComp wheels, Body Armor rear bumper, Hanson rocksliders, Skidrow skid plate, KC Daylighters 6" 130w long range lights, Smittybuilt XRC-8 winch, Cobra mini CB radio
thetoadLJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #130
Jeeper
 
05unlimitededition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Ok so I've made my decision. Currie enterprise 4 inch Johnny joint with 1 inch body and motor lift. Good choice? It keeps me within my budget of around 3 k for tires and lift.
05unlimitededition is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #131
Jeeper
 
05unlimitededition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Is there a difference between ordering from savvy or currie. In the pictures the control arms look different. Is the a difference ?
05unlimitededition is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #132
Jeeper
 
Big Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lafayette Hill, PA
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05unlimitededition View Post
Is there a difference between ordering from savvy or currie. In the pictures the control arms look different. Is the a difference ?
Savvy CAs are aluminum
Big Cole is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #133
Jeeper
 
05unlimitededition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Now would that be better than steel?
05unlimitededition is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #134
Jeeper
 
05unlimitededition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
I know they would be lighter. But I know aluminum can be more brittle then steel.
05unlimitededition is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #135
Jeeper
 
Big Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lafayette Hill, PA
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05unlimitededition View Post
I know they would be lighter. But I know aluminum can be more brittle then steel.
Never had strength issues with my savvy CAs nor have I heard of any issues
Big Cole is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #136
Jeeper
 
05unlimitededition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 130
Good to know. I'm sure they have a warranty being such a good product.
05unlimitededition is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #137
Jeeper
 
Ljcrawler05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05unlimitededition View Post
Good to know. I'm sure they have a warranty being such a good product.
Lifetime warranty on them
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #138
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,917
I went the Rokmen route (also uses the currie JJ), as they also have a set of skid plates that all couple together. Made the order easy.
I completed the MML (new mounts too) and body lift the other weekend. Next up is replacing all the control arms. Once those are in, the stock rubicon shovel is coming off and the rokmen skid goes on along with rear trackbar with cardan shaft bracket, and shock mount extensions.

Also pulling the rear DS at that point. W/in the next day or two from there I plan on adjusting track bar, setting pinion angle, and putting in my order for the cardan shaft based on the measurements.

When the bank recovers I'm putting on MC fenders + 33's or 35's all around... then to upgrade steering, brakes... 4.5inch lift... antirock, engine skid.. never ends.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #139
Jeeper
 
Ljcrawler05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post
I went the Rokmen route (also uses the currie JJ), as they also have a set of skid plates that all couple together. Made the order easy.
I completed the MML (new mounts too) and body lift the other weekend. Next up is replacing all the control arms. Once those are in, the stock rubicon shovel is coming off and the rokmen skid goes on along with rear trackbar with cardan shaft bracket, and shock mount extensions.

Also pulling the rear DS at that point. W/in the next day or two from there I plan on adjusting track bar, setting pinion angle, and putting in my order for the cardan shaft based on the measurements.

When the bank recovers I'm putting on MC fenders + 33's or 35's all around... then to upgrade steering, brakes... 4.5inch lift... antirock, engine skid.. never ends.
Unless you need the lift height for mud a 4.5 inch lift isnt necessary with metalcloak fenders... you can run 35s on stock suspension with those fenders. Highest id go is 2 inches especially in conjunction with a tt
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #140
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05 View Post
Unless you need the lift height for mud a 4.5 inch lift isnt necessary with metalcloak fenders... you can run 35s on stock suspension with those fenders. Highest id go is 2 inches especially in conjunction with a tt
Why? I'm aware that 4.5 is more than is necessary. I have about 2.5inches from the HD OME springs right now. The move to 4/4.5 is simply for...because I can and springs are cheap.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #141
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
98 tj sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: eden nc
Posts: 1,371
Images: 1
U will have clearence at the wheel wells like a 7 or 8 in lift with that suspension lift and fenders
__________________
98 sport, 4inch skyjacker lift, 35" goodyear wrangler mtrs with kevlar on 15x10 black streetlock wheels, smittybuilt rear bumber with tire carrier, warn m8000 winch, windshield mount hellas, and a rhinolined interior, with aussie locked dana 30 front dana 44 rear with a yukon grizzly locker, 4.10 gears with a 3speed 32rh
98 tj sport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #142
Jeeper
 
Ljcrawler05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post

Why? I'm aware that 4.5 is more than is necessary. I have about 2.5inches from the HD OME springs right now. The move to 4/4.5 is simply for...because I can and springs are cheap.
Well I can understand that but I reckon if it were mine that'd be where I would leave it. hlbut as far as the combination of a suspension lift of and tt you'd probably be seeing close to 8/9 inches of driveline lift and thats pretty extreme for a tj... wouldnt even do that with my lj just because of trying to get the vibs out. Anyways I wasnt bashing your plans I also would like to have a little more lift than my 2" omes but im installing a savvy under armor and with that extra clearance running metalcloaks fenders and 35s would take you over just about anything. All I gotta say is I wish I could afford the metalcloak flares, ive been focusing on suspension so ive steadily been buying control arms and traxk bars... cant decide if the springs will be at the end or not.
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #143
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05 View Post
Well I can understand that but I reckon if it were mine that'd be where I would leave it. hlbut as far as the combination of a suspension lift of and tt you'd probably be seeing close to 8/9 inches of driveline lift and thats pretty extreme for a tj... wouldnt even do that with my lj just because of trying to get the vibs out. Anyways I wasnt bashing your plans I also would like to have a little more lift than my 2" omes but im installing a savvy under armor and with that extra clearance running metalcloaks fenders and 35s would take you over just about anything. All I gotta say is I wish I could afford the metalcloak flares, ive been focusing on suspension so ive steadily been buying control arms and traxk bars... cant decide if the springs will be at the end or not.
Well, the spring lift is last. All it requires is trackbar and arm adjustment, along with like $60 to have the driveshaft redone. 8/9 inches? 4 inch + 2 for the tt is only 6. Plenty of people run 6inch lift NP. I say last because if I like the look on 2/2.5 inch I'm only going to do the 4" ome springs -- and with metalcloak on all 4 corners including corner armor, sliders, winch, and time carrier, it's unlikely to be sitting at the full height.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #144
Jeeper
 
JeepandMud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,538
I'm not one to give input or my .02 on a hot topic but I have to say this; I thought Rough Country was the way to go. Was looking at the Rough Country sport 4" because well it was cheap. I did over 4 years of research and annoyed people on here with what I thought were silly questions. I settled on Zone's 4.25" combo lift and yea it's on the cheaper spectrum, but I'm happy with it as it does what I envisioned it. I like the looks of a 6" with aggressive tires and stance, but would never consider it. To each their own.

__________________
4.0L Auto '00 Solar Yellow TJ Sport, 4.25" Zone combo lift and 33x12.50 MTR Kevlars.

Always at an angle
JeepandMud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC