Rough Country Adjustable Track Bar - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 256
Shows how little I know, I didn't know we could contact the vendors! I suspect the tires too. The shake happened at a lower mph until I got them balanced and then it moved up to 70mph. I'm getting new tires soon so maybe it will go away on its own.

lordmike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
A lot of aftermarket track bars require a lot of bump stop to keep them from hitting the front diff. cover. I chose the JKS ($196) because it's one of the few that require only fairly short bump stops...

tj front adjustable track bars for 0-3.5", does yours hit or fit? - JeepForum.com
QFT. read this thread before buying anything.

__________________
Suggested Tech Readings
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 256
Wow, I totally missed that. Ok, JKS is what I am going to get, I'd prefer not to off my fiance because I was being cheap.
lordmike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmike View Post
Wow, I totally missed that. Ok, JKS is what I am going to get, I'd prefer not to off my fiance because I was being cheap.
and make sure to push the axle to full bump and add the necessary bumpstop extension....
__________________
Suggested Tech Readings
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 256
I looked again and the Rough Country track bar has been updated since that post was written. It has the appropriate bend to accommodate the differential. What do you think of this? Still not great even with the correct bumps?
lordmike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmike View Post
I looked again and the Rough Country track bar has been updated since that post was written. It has the appropriate bend to accommodate the differential. What do you think of this? Still not great even with the correct bumps?
the thread was updated a few days ago......
__________________
Suggested Tech Readings
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 256
Lol, it is like 100 pages long, I only made it about 6 deep. Point taken.
lordmike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 256
If you were installing one tomorrow Unlimited, what would you buy?
lordmike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #39
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmike View Post
If you were installing one tomorrow Unlimited, what would you buy?
Right now, I run something very similar to a new bend JKS #126, with a V8 ZJ tie-rod, a heavily modified diff cover, a 1/8" plate welded to the axle end for reinforcement, and 1.375" of bumpstop extension.

Eventually I want do the front track bar right, and eliminate the single shear mount. I'd either buy or build something like this Synergy mount, then buy a Currie JJ barrel w/ 1.6" mounting width & 9/16" bolt hole, and weld it an old model JKS track bar I've got (which didn't fit).

But in case you haven't gotten the point of this, the basic answer right now is that there is no good solution for an adjustable front track bar for someone that wants to run less than 2" of bumpstop extension with a straight/stock tie-rod, or less than ~1" with a V8 ZJ tie-rod. Some have been able to get down to no bumpstop extension using a new offset tie-rod end with the V8 ZJ tie-rod. All that's in the 100+ pg thread linked above.
__________________
Suggested Tech Readings
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #40
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
But in case you haven't gotten the point of this, the basic answer right now is that there is no good solution for an adjustable front track bar for someone that wants to run less than 2" of bumpstop extension with a straight/stock tie-rod, or less than ~1" with a V8 ZJ tie-rod.
I'll throw this out there- is there really a situation where an adjustable track bar is needed that you could get by with less than 1" bump stop extensions anyway?
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #41
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 256
Well then I'm fine with whatever because I'm adding bumpstop extensions that are commensurate with the amount of lift I added. I have no issues with 2+" of bump because the worst it sees are muddy camping trails.
lordmike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
jcoon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmike View Post
Wow, I totally missed that. Ok, JKS is what I am going to get, I'd prefer not to off my fiance because I was being cheap.
Wait til she's ur wife for a few years, then her safety won't b such a concern. Lol
Remember George on Seinfeld buying the cheap wedding invites and then Susan died from licking the glue sealing them. Classic. Freekin hilarious.
jcoon10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H View Post
I'll throw this out there- is there really a situation where an adjustable track bar is needed that you could get by with less than 1" bump stop extensions anyway?
the biggest instance I can think of is stock jeeps that wallow the hole out...then you can't get a stock track bar back in there....and you have no aftermarket option to fix it. You end up needing to cut the frame end bracket off and weld a new one on...or be fortunate enough to be close to mrblaine, who has special inserts that need to be TIG welded in.
here's an example of that: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/and-...eo-229801.html

Another application would be someone wanting ~2" of lift (BB, or springs), and wanting to recenter the axle with an adjustable track bar. As long as you stay on 30s or 31s, they may not need much extra bumpstop extension since shocks may not be the limiting factor....but you run into clearance issues with the track bar. I fit into that category when I ran 31s.

Another far less common application could be someone wanting to relocate the shock mounts to get craploads of droop for a LCG rock buggy type setup. You could conceivably maintain stock-ish uptravel with 11" or 12" travel shocks with custom mounts, highline fenders or campbell hood, shoehorn some 35s/37s under there and go nuts. Those guys can't run ZJ tie-rods either...not strong enough. Forum member -sean- had a rig like that. Imped is also setup similar (or was at one point), IIRC he had to run 2" more bumpstop extension on the drivers side only, to avoid track bar vs diff clearance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmike View Post
Well then I'm fine with whatever because I'm adding bumpstop extensions that are commensurate with the amount of lift I added. I have no issues with 2+" of bump because the worst it sees are muddy camping trails.
well, if you lift the Jeep 2", but have to add 2" of bumpstop extension, you've gained no travel over stock. If you're ok with basically no gain for your money, then be happy I guess
__________________
Suggested Tech Readings
UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 256
Wait, your point is relevant with new springs, but I only did a 2.5"bb. If I don't put in the appropriate additional bump stop spacing I can over compress the stock springs. I did the boost to allow for my larger tires while maintaining the original range of motion provided by the manufacturer. That was my original goal because, as I've stated before, this isn't a rock crawler. It is a pavement, muddy camping trail jeep so I'm not that concerned and insane amount of articulation.
lordmike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Another application would be someone wanting ~2" of lift (BB, or springs), and wanting to recenter the axle with an adjustable track bar. As long as you stay on 30s or 31s, they may not need much extra bumpstop extension since shocks may not be the limiting factor....but you run into clearance issues with the track bar. I fit into that category when I ran 31s.
A 2" BB should require 2" bump stops, and either one would benefit from longer shocks, which should also require bump stop extensions. The funny thing is, I'll bet the majority of folks that have either one, didn't install the bump stop extensions they should have anyhow.
Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
Patrick H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern NM
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmike View Post
Wait, your point is relevant with new springs, but I only did a 2.5"bb. If I don't put in the appropriate additional bump stop spacing I can over compress the stock springs. I did the boost to allow for my larger tires while maintaining the original range of motion provided by the manufacturer. That was my original goal because, as I've stated before, this isn't a rock crawler. It is a pavement, muddy camping trail jeep so I'm not that concerned and insane amount of articulation.
If you have a 2.5" BB, you need 2.5" bump stop extensions, so the JKS track bar is a non-issue.

Patrick H is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC