rustys/iron rock over the knuckle steering kit - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
KawiTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 718
rustys/iron rock over the knuckle steering kit

Rustys Offroad: Conversions - Jeep XJ-ZJ-TJ-YJ Tie Rod
IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Heavy Duty Over the Knuckle Steering TJ/ZJ/XJ

does anyone have this set up? any pros or cons? I was told that the over the knuckle is a better set up than the stock y set up, wondering if anyone else has done the same?

__________________
KawiTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
KawiTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 718
sorry to post this twice, apparantly i hit the back button after i posted the first time and didnt realize it, so i hit post...

__________________
KawiTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,269
Both options will give you tie rod roll and an associated dead spot in the steering. There's nothing that makes it 'better' than an inverted Y setup.

You can do a true, quality crossover steering setup but you'll have to ditch the stock knuckles and you'll spend a minimum of 3x what the above options cost.
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
necromancer_tat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk Virginia
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiTJ View Post
Rustys Offroad: Conversions - Jeep XJ-ZJ-TJ-YJ Tie Rod
IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Heavy Duty Over the Knuckle Steering TJ/ZJ/XJ

does anyone have this set up? any pros or cons? I was told that the over the knuckle is a better set up than the stock y set up, wondering if anyone else has done the same?
The Rusty's Offroad steering set up is really similar to the Rugged Ridge steering set up, both are an inverted "T" style of steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Both options will give you tie rod roll and an associated dead spot in the steering. There's nothing that makes it 'better' than an inverted Y setup.

You can do a true, quality crossover steering setup but you'll have to ditch the stock knuckles and you'll spend a minimum of 3x what the above options cost.
Only the Rusty's set up is an inverted "T" set up, the Iron Rock set up is a cross over style steering system.


I would rather have the Iron Rock set up than the Rusty's, if I would've known about it before I bought my Rugged Ridge steering that's what I would have purchased instead.

A couple more steering options would be the Currie Currectlync inverted "Y" style steering, and the Rock Krawler cross over style steering. The Rock Crawler steering is similar to the Iron Rock set up but the drag link goes behind the tie rod instead of in front of it. The Currie steering is basically the stock style steering but redesigned for a lifted Jeep, and twice as strong and thick as the factory parts. The Crown heavy duty steering is also the same design as stock, but in between the stock and the currie set up as far as strength and price are concerned. The Savvy ultimate steering system uses the Currie drag link, with a Savvy designed tie rod that is basically unbreakable/bendable.
__________________
I got bitten by a snake once, it died.
necromancer_tat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
KawiTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer_tat View Post
Only the Rusty's set up is an inverted "T" set up, the Iron Rock set up is a cross over style steering system.


I would rather have the Iron Rock set up than the Rusty's, if I would've known about it before I bought my Rugged Ridge steering that's what I would have purchased instead.

A couple more steering options would be the Currie Currectlync inverted "Y" style steering, and the Rock Krawler cross over style steering. The Rock Crawler steering is similar to the Iron Rock set up but the drag link goes behind the tie rod instead of in front of it. The Currie steering is basically the stock style steering but redesigned for a lifted Jeep, and twice as strong and thick as the factory parts. The Crown heavy duty steering is also the same design as stock, but in between the stock and the currie set up as far as strength and price are concerned. The Savvy ultimate steering system uses the Currie drag link, with a Savvy designed tie rod that is basically unbreakable/bendable.
thanks for the info
__________________
KawiTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
necromancer_tat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Norfolk Virginia
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiTJ View Post
thanks for the info
No problem, good luck with your steering set up!
__________________
I got bitten by a snake once, it died.
necromancer_tat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
KawiTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 718
going to look into the iron rock set up, I like the idea that if my tirod bends or something its not direct stress on other parts, and its a little more clearance.
__________________
KawiTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 468
Older thread but i came across it in a search.
I am looking at the rusty's kit at the top of the page. Does anyone have this and is it me or does it look as if when you turn almost to lock that it will rub causing a problem?
rubiconvict05 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconvict05 View Post
Older thread but i came across it in a search.
I am looking at the rusty's kit at the top of the page. Does anyone have this and is it me or does it look as if when you turn almost to lock that it will rub causing a problem?
It's absolutely crap. Take it off the list.
__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 468
Is there a reason for this opinion? Why is it crap? Not that i don't believe you I just want to know what the thought behind it is.
rubiconvict05 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,220
There are more than a few threads on this if you search around. Look into what inverted-t steering is and why it's bad on a TJ. You'll have more than enough info to think about.

geiman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a power steering gear box work on a manual steering Jeep? YJPunisher213 YJ Tech Forum 6 05-28-2011 04:39 PM
Power steering/ Steering upgrade CJS98TJ TJ General Discussion Forum 6 04-28-2011 09:35 PM
Write-up for 2-door Olympic A/T rock rails :) thaduke2003 JK General Discussion Forum 1 03-27-2010 05:21 PM
Help! Weird steering clunk!!!! TexasJeepFreak TJ Tech Forum 0 02-05-2010 09:57 AM
Weird Steering CLUNK TexasJeepFreak TJ Tech Forum 0 02-02-2010 06:38 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC