Sad Axle News - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 75
Angry Sad Axle News

I took my jeep to the local 4WP shop for some steering issues, and found out that i need a new front axle. So, I figure why not just do a complete dana 44 swap front and rear and upgrade to disc brakes in the rear, do a comp cut and stretch... I have no clue where to even begin... The jeep is safe to drive in the mean time, and its my daily driver, so thats good news, but i'm completely lost. I have no idea what all is involved in doing this. I know that it will be a lot of work, and i'd like to get all the parts and get it done on a weekend, but i'm not sure what to buy... I've googled it and searched a bit on here and I can't really find a forum on these things in particular... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harris4627 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,115
exactly why do you need a whole new front axle?

UnlimitedLJ04 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,431
Images: 1
If the whole front axle is trashed (like bent axle tubes), I would simply get a bolt in replacement D30 (or D44). Then start worrying about all that other custom stuff that takes alot of time and planning to do correctly.
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: behind enemy lines fighting the Caliban
Posts: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
If the whole front axle is trashed (like bent axle tubes), I would simply get a bolt in replacement D30 (or D44).
^ this



Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627 View Post
a complete dana 44 swap front and rear and upgrade to disc brakes in the rear, do a comp cut and stretch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627 View Post
I have no clue where to even begin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627 View Post
I have no idea what all is involved in doing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627 View Post
I know that it will be a lot of work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627 View Post
get it done on a weekend

UnlimitedRubicon is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
local15Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Meadow,Long Island
Posts: 330
. I know that it will be a lot of work, and i'd like to get all the parts and get it done on a weekend

__________________
"I'm tri'n to think but nutin's happnin"CURLY-THREE STOOGES
local15Rob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Derp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 583
You understand the dollar sign you just threw up right?? A weekend job....I just laughed. Good thing were not on pirate :rollseyes:
Derp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 31,149
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627 View Post
I took my jeep to the local 4WP shop for some steering issues, and found out that i need a new front axle.
What happened to it where you believe the entire axle must be replaced? Was it destroyed beyond salvaging it in something like an accident? Beyond major damage like that, it doesn't take much to rebuild an axle with new bearings or gears if nearly anything else is wrong.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 75
Question

Well, I'm just relaying the message that they (4WP) gave me. They said the tube was bent and it was trashing control arm bushings because the tow was jacked up or something. Bent C's maybe? I've owned jeeps my whole life and never had to deal with anything like this, so thats why I'm looking for advice. I don't really know whats all involved. I was thinking about just finding a dana 30, and upgrading to better axle shafts, and throwing a spartan locker in it, and then doing the same to the rear later. I guess my biggest concern was the stretch kit... That's more less what I'm confused about.
Harris4627 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 75
Good thing were not on pirate :rollseyes:[/QUOTE]

I don't know what pirate is... Another Forum?
Harris4627 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627 View Post
Well, I'm just relaying the message that they (4WP) gave me. They said the tube was bent and it was trashing control arm bushings because the tow was jacked up or something. Bent C's maybe? I've owned jeeps my whole life and never had to deal with anything like this, so thats why I'm looking for advice. I don't really know whats all involved. I was thinking about just finding a dana 30, and upgrading to better axle shafts, and throwing a spartan locker in it, and then doing the same to the rear later. I guess my biggest concern was the stretch kit... That's more less what I'm confused about.
A stretch kit is more then just a weekend of work. If you really want to stretch big It takes weeks, even months to do it right. We are talking stretch tank (or fuel cell) redoing entire rear suspension, hacking the body to recenter wheel well, blah blah blah.

To be honest, if all you know of a stretch kit is that is moves the tire back then you shouldn't do one. I've considering stretching mine but it is just too much work, especially if you try to go for 100".

Pirate4x4 is a forum where the more "hardcore" guys go. Dana 60s, 14 bolts, 42s", custom suspension, 110" wheelbase guys. Really cool rigs to oogle over but not practical for me.
Moabrubi is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Dextreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 3,431
Images: 1
...
__________________
'99 Chilli Pepper TJ Wrangler "Mistress"
33x12.5 DuraTracs
Zone 4.25"
Dextreme is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
lynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,116
You really need to go back to the shop and talk to the management and the techs involved. Don't leave until they show you what is wrong, with demonstrations, measurements, etc. Don't leave until you fully understand the situation and all available options.

Since this is your DD, and because you do not have a solid understanding of the ramifications of an axle upgrade or frame stretch...
I heartily recommend that if necessary (assuming a repair is not feasible), you simply replace your current axle with a good, used bolt-in replacement exactly like the current one. That will put you back on the road quickly and most cost-effectively.

Then you can spend time doing research on the mods you think you want, and learning what is involved with each one...

Good luck!!
__________________
Lynn
'05 LJ
lynn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Harris4627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benbrook
Posts: 75
Thanks for the info guys I really do appreciate it. The more research I do the more I think I will jsut do a new axle with chromoly shafts and lockers. The stretch is something I really want to do, but it will definitely be in the future when I have a new daily driver, or in the summer when I can ride my motorcycle everyday while the work is being done. I plan on heading back to the shop tomorrow and getting some more explanation on whats exactly wrong. Any recommendations on axle shafts? I figured I'd run spartan lockers front and rear... But I'll take all the advice anyone wants to give. I'm not completely trusting when it comes to 4WP... I'm afraid they will try to just do whats best for them ($$$) than what is truly best for the jeep.
Harris4627 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Derp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris4627
Thanks for the info guys I really do appreciate it. The more research I do the more I think I will jsut do a new axle with chromoly shafts and lockers. The stretch is something I really want to do, but it will definitely be in the future when I have a new daily driver, or in the summer when I can ride my motorcycle everyday while the work is being done. I plan on heading back to the shop tomorrow and getting some more explanation on whats exactly wrong. Any recommendations on axle shafts? I figured I'd run spartan lockers front and rear... But I'll take all the advice anyone wants to give. I'm not completely trusting when it comes to 4WP... I'm afraid they will try to just do whats best for them ($$$) than what is truly best for the jeep.
I'd go Aussie up front and full case in the rear for lockers. Spartans are noisey as sh!t.
Derp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Imped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 3,269
I just spent 9 months performing surgery on my rig, pushing the axle back being the big part of it.....and I've got just a wee bit of experience working under rigs.

First thing's first--you're taking 4wp's word and aren't even attempting to find proof. I wouldn't let 4wp change my oil, let alone give a higher-level diagnosis like that. If you can't even determine something relatively simple like that on your own, what makes you think you can perform all of that work in a weekend?

Get a HP30 out of an XJ and throw it in. Don't forget gears.

__________________
Daily Driver Rock Rig
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
axle swap , comp cut , dana 44 , steering , stretch kit

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC