Should i take my backseats out, just to put in subs - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hickory
Posts: 2
Lightbulb Should i take my backseats out, just to put in subs

Can anyone halep or give tips, or maybe even pics of ur jeep without a backseat. im in high scool and i love bumping the subsm i have friends with subs and so i wan em t. so i wanna be heard thanx.

keep on jeepin

02JeepWranglerSportTj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
I personally wouldnt ditch the backseat just for subs. I keep my backseat out for the extra cargo space it provides. When I did have my seat in I built a custom box that accomodated one 10" that was plenty loud...but that has now been removed as well.

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,440
doesnt mean others wanna hear you... I cant stand sitting at a red light with some ones bass vibrating my mirrors. And a jeep isnt the best for a sound system. lol
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Gouch_07_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Slave Lake AB
Posts: 364
I took my back seat out and put 2 twelves in the back, mind you I am single and have no real need for a back seat, plus I can fit my hockey gear, couple sets of golf clubs, and my basketball stuff all back there. Only downfall so far is I can't leave it in a parking lot with the top off, and draggin the two pieces of the hard top around in the back is annoying
Gouch_07_X is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,590
If I didnt need my back seat for my kids I would have done this long ago. As it is I only have 1 Kicker shallow mount 12 in a box behind the rear seat and it isnt enough. This is coming from a guy who took out his rear seat in his mustang and built a wall with 4x 15"s. If you want a pic of the sub in my Jeep I will post one but if you think you want loud bass this isnt the route to go. also worth noting is that TJspeed is right in the fact that a Jeep isnt an ideal vehicle for a sound system, you will likely hear more of the system outside of the Jeep than inside, especially if you have a soft top.
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Benderff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 53
Try googling the SirGcal sub box plans. Put a sub or two in the seat. It's hidden, and the subs face down like they should in a TJ.


Edit. I found it for you. http://www.sirgcal.com/2ktj/
Benderff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
NHrubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 844
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02JeepWranglerSportTj View Post
Can anyone halep or give tips, or maybe even pics of ur jeep without a backseat. im in high scool and i love bumping the subsm i have friends with subs and so i wan em t. so i wanna be heard thanx.
yes, I'm confused also! I can't figure out half of what you are saying! Don't know what you mean by 'bumping the subsm'...
If you are in High School pay more attention to english spelling for us that have trouble figuring out what you mean.
And put me in the list of those that cannot stand hearing everyone roaring down the street with a 1000w speaker system...fortunately our city has a 50 foot sound ordinance...anything that can be heard 50 feet away is a ticket!
NHrubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 613
LOL, been there-I too was young once, and music is still just as big a deal even if yours sounds different than mine.

First of all stop thinking you have to give up back seat to have good solid bass and keep seating for 4. I do pro sound as a hobby, so I know a little about what they call 'sound reinforcement', plus I did some killer custom installs long before it got to be a whole industry.

Still in high school? Good, then keep all four seats and load 3 of them with babes and make their butts bounce with solid tight bass.

Ok, here is what you do...FIRST forget the that idea you need huge flashy subs..thise things are expensive, power hungry and just eyecandy...What you need is smarts and creativity more than bucks and room.

Start by learning all about speakers-not from modern marketing, but the actual science of it that factory engineers and pro sound guys have to learn.

Good old Radio Shack used to offer a few pamplets about speaker enclosure design that contained all the math and info necessary to make your own small sub boxes that will fit UNDER the rear seat and make the gals butts throb. You can build a killer subwoofer array using inexpensive 4" drivers that only require a small amp if you cross them properly and use the math necessary to design your box.

Good sound ain't about bling, huge speakers and lots of money, it's about smart design and math and a little elbow grease.

Start by researching loudspeaker parameters. Learn all about the terms and values and language used to describe speakers, and the math equations required to calculte enclosure volumes...From there, it's a simple matter of selecting inexpensive speakers and powering and filtering them properly....Really easy to do if you do your homework.

You will have killer sound, all 4 seats, and the bucks left to buy those gals a burger.

Promise
2002TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,393
1. Sirgcal is a waste

2. There's room without the seat for 6 ten's easy. If your gonna be bear, be a biggun
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
2. There's room without the seat for 6 ten's easy. If your gonna be bear, be a biggun
Hence the name "Ibuildembig"
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,393
LOL, I had 4 10's in blackie a few years back when it was an MTX sponsored rig....but now since they take less space, 6 of um would fit easy or maybe even 8
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 129
Leave in the back seat and leave out the annoying subs. Nothing more irritating than having to listen to someone's booming stereo, especially with the crap music you kids are playing these days. Remember this, for every one person that enjoys your thumping, 100 hate it.
mjbuck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,121
Got 1 word HEADPHONES!!
Gate53 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,393
And the cliche' lives on today
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 613
Here's part of my home sound rig. 2400 watts with 1200 dedicated to bass

Find you some books on speak box/enclosure design...not new books, but from 80's..learn the math and terminolgy and how to describe speakers by their design parameters.

Then buy your speakers from radio shack..4 or 6 inch..they are cheap and they will be described by the terms and parameters you will learn from the books.....Apply the math in your box design, then power and filter them properly and you will be AMAZED at how chep it can be to sound good.

Just don't expect to thump the hood..Your mission is to fill your Jeep with sound and rattle seated asses, not piss off old guys like me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032012164237_01.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	106588  
2002TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,393
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 613
Hey, you guys ease up. High school kids today are just like us old folks who in our day experimented with cams and carbs. They are restricted when it comes to engine mods due to the expense and tech now involved, so they tend to focus more on looks and music.....I love seeing they still have the urge to mod their ride, and I encourage them to LEARN some of the science behind it so's they can save themself lots of bucks and LEARN math and design and become more creative in the process.

I wish my hood was full of them.
2002TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
01 TJ Wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 56
Im still in highschool, and its still annoying as hell listening to someones thumping system at a red light ... never understood the point in wasting money on a system just to thump around... and plus the more flashy, expensive stuff you have in your jeep the more likely your get your top cut, windows broke and lose your system...
01 TJ Wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 TJ Wrangler View Post
Im still in highschool, and its still annoying as hell listening to someones thumping system at a red light ... never understood the point in wasting money on a system just to thump around... and plus the more flashy, expensive stuff you have in your jeep the more likely your get your top cut, windows broke and lose your system...
Yup! Im 20 and i have 2 6.5" JBL 3 ways in the sound bar and thats it! Amazin sound good bass. cheap and easy! Im fine with people bumping their subs but if your at a red light or in a parking lot turn that sh!t down! No one wants to here it!! I even do that now with my 2 speakers.
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 613
I HATE to hear drony, dull bass when they thump by or sitting at a redlight. I just laff at their lack of lack of education, skills and how much they paid to sound bad
2002TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,393
I don't hear anything but my music and my motor.....time to upgrade fellas
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,440
whats even better when some POS car rolls by and the truck lid is vibrating so loud you cant hear anything eles but BUUUZZZZ BUUZZ BBBUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZ BUZ BUZ BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ. THATS when you laugh your a$$ off at them!
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
somis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somis, CA
Posts: 699
yea its nice to have it on the street and to cruise around town jamming to some metal, but how about when your out on the trail with your buddies or camping drinkin some beers, thats when the music sounds the best. (plus it covers up all the squeeks and a couple rattles) !!!
__________________
When in doubt...FLAT OUT!
somis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
jmgonzales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NM
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuck View Post
Leave in the back seat and leave out the annoying subs. Nothing more irritating than having to listen to someone's booming stereo, especially with the crap music you kids are playing these days. Remember this, for every one person that enjoys your thumping, 100 hate it.
X2
jmgonzales is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,590
If its too loud, you're too old.
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
LAR
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: El Paso, TX.
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002TJ View Post
LOL, been there-I too was young once, and music is still just as big a deal even if yours sounds different than mine.

First of all stop thinking you have to give up back seat to have good solid bass and keep seating for 4. I do pro sound as a hobby, so I know a little about what they call 'sound reinforcement', plus I did some killer custom installs long before it got to be a whole industry.

Still in high school? Good, then keep all four seats and load 3 of them with babes and make their butts bounce with solid tight bass.

Ok, here is what you do...FIRST forget the that idea you need huge flashy subs..thise things are expensive, power hungry and just eyecandy...What you need is smarts and creativity more than bucks and room.

Start by learning all about speakers-not from modern marketing, but the actual science of it that factory engineers and pro sound guys have to learn.

Good old Radio Shack used to offer a few pamplets about speaker enclosure design that contained all the math and info necessary to make your own small sub boxes that will fit UNDER the rear seat and make the gals butts throb. You can build a killer subwoofer array using inexpensive 4" drivers that only require a small amp if you cross them properly and use the math necessary to design your box.

Good sound ain't about bling, huge speakers and lots of money, it's about smart design and math and a little elbow grease.

Start by researching loudspeaker parameters. Learn all about the terms and values and language used to describe speakers, and the math equations required to calculte enclosure volumes...From there, it's a simple matter of selecting inexpensive speakers and powering and filtering them properly....Really easy to do if you do your homework.

You will have killer sound, all 4 seats, and the bucks left to buy those gals a burger.

Promise

This man knows what he's talking about. One you learn the difference between quality and quantity, you'll be amazed at what you can do in such a small space. Putting a single sub in the rear seat was the path I took.
Wasn't hard at all, and I'm very happy with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120313_182230.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	106614  
LAR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Louisiana
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAR View Post
This man knows what he's talking about. One you learn the difference between quality and quantity, you'll be amazed at what you can do in such a small space. Putting a single sub in the rear seat was the path I took.
Wasn't hard at all, and I'm very happy with the result.
Now THAT's a nice clean install
2002TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Dragonii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
Try googling the SirGcal sub box plans. Put a sub or two in the seat. It's hidden, and the subs face down like they should in a TJ.


Edit. I found it for you. 2k TJ Project

^^^This is the route that I plan on taking.


But if you want serious bass why not keep the back seat and do two 10's in one of these?
CAR AUDIO 10" JEEP WRANGLER TJ YJ CUSTOM SUBWOOFER BOX | eBay

Pull that factory sub junk out of the console and put your amp in there (that's what I'm doing).
Pioneer makes a 1200 watt Class D Mono that could run two 10's at 2 ohms and it has a small enough footprint to fit in the arm rest console.
Pioneer GM-D8500M Class D Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com




A couple of good 10's in that box with a 1200 watt mono at 2 ohms should significantly shake the floor. And you keep the back seat.
Dragonii is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
TJspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAR

This man knows what he's talking about. One you learn the difference between quality and quantity, you'll be amazed at what you can do in such a small space. Putting a single sub in the rear seat was the path I took.
Wasn't hard at all, and I'm very happy with the result.
That's really cool.
__________________
2000 solar yellow 4.0 sport 3" BDS, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" Zone motor lift, JKS quicker disconnects, 33x10.5 BFG KM2 on black american racing wheels. D44 rear.

TJspeed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Coastiejeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gulfport
Posts: 248
A single ten will fit behind the seat and can be bolted down, I pulled my back seat and built a cover over the back to have a lockable storage to keep my wothless stuff safe. I mounted my hilift and so ammo cans and plastic storage bin on top.


Attachment 106661

Coastiejeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
backseat , jeep tj , subs , subwoofer

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
people whove had to say goodbye to their jeeps :( xcreekarchery1 Off-Topic 14 03-27-2012 03:33 PM
Road trip to new property nickmimi JK General Discussion Forum 14 03-20-2012 11:33 PM
Where to go Towboater JK General Discussion Forum 15 03-20-2012 06:30 PM
Made My jeep happy jeepinmarine TJ General Discussion Forum 3 03-20-2012 03:31 PM
What should I do while I have the motor, transmission, and transfer case out? JML III YJ General Discussion Forum 0 03-20-2012 01:53 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC