Some "Lifting" Questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wolny10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 123
Some "Lifting" Questions

Hey guys,

Well I want to add some moderate lift to my mostly stock 97 TJ.. everytime I think I have it figured out I see another picture or another product.. lol

So here are a few questions:

My ride seems very harsh now - I don't expect it to be fluffy - shock covers are basically completed rusted - or could it be my springs, they are original? 173k on the clock...

I was looking at something like a 2-2.5 lift for now, I know when you go taller you need to start swapping out control arms and more things to do it right, is this correct? I do not want to half ass something and it's not something I want to get into right now..

I wanted to change my shocks anyway so I guess I fogured why not upgrade?

Can I just get good shocks now (that are made for a lift?) and add springs or spacers later? If so - recommendations?

I have heard some stock Jeeps - Rubicons have stock springs that would give me a lift, is this true?

Any idea is appreciated..

I was looking at the the skyjacker set with Hydro Shocks and puck style lifts for about $285... Skyjacker 2" Spacer Lift Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Thanks everyone..

wolny10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolny10 View Post
Hey guys,

Well I want to add some moderate lift to my mostly stock 97 TJ.. everytime I think I have it figured out I see another picture or another product.. lol

So here are a few questions:

My ride seems very harsh now - I don't expect it to be fluffy - shock covers are basically completed rusted - or could it be my springs, they are original? 173k on the clock...

I was looking at something like a 2-2.5 lift for now, I know when you go taller you need to start swapping out control arms and more things to do it right, is this correct? I do not want to half ass something and it's not something I want to get into right now..

I wanted to change my shocks anyway so I guess I fogured why not upgrade?

Can I just get good shocks now (that are made for a lift?) and add springs or spacers later? If so - recommendations?

I have heard some stock Jeeps - Rubicons have stock springs that would give me a lift, is this true?

Any idea is appreciated..

I was looking at the the skyjacker set with Hydro Shocks and puck style lifts for about $285... Skyjacker 2" Spacer Lift Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Thanks everyone..
Whats you max budget?

NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wolny10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 123
Ideally for now I liked that 300-400 range...
wolny10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolny10 View Post
Ideally for now I liked that 300-400 range...
Do yourself a favor then and save up a few hundred more and get an OME 2" kit. They run about 700 bucks. Good things come to those who wait.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
crunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: cape crud ma.
Posts: 127
The question is can you lift your jeep for the 300-400 dollar price range... sure you can, but you can't value price quality as NJO is saying. You can get a set of rubicon springs and that will give you about an inch lift. You could also get a set of v8 grand cherokee front springs and swap them into your TJ, then only worry about lifting the rear. I have even heard that swapping a set of front grand chero or rubi springs from the front into the rear of the TJ will give it some lift, never done it or witnessed that one in person.

You can replace the shocks and not replace the springs but why would you want to ? You run risk of damaging shocks if they are designed to use with one travel length and you start running them in a different application.

The sweet spot for lifts seems to be right around that magical 2.5 - 3 inches. Anything over that requires more and more modifications and upgrades down the line.

For what it's worth did you check into Zone's 4.25 inch combo kit ? It's gonna be one of those mass produced get lift quick kits that some people hate on. Proof in the pudding is many more people have had great results with that kit and it leaves the door wide open to continue forward with the mod bug once it really bites you. It offers a 3 inch lift, shocks, a 1 inch motor mount lift, and a 1.25 inch body lift... for right around 500 bucks. This is the quick, down, and dirty way to get your Jeep the stance you are looking for. Like I said, some people with more money and higher expectations of their jeeps will tell you that my suggestion is crap...
then again you will get a lot of average Joe's telling you go for it. Then you are halfway to doing fun things like a tummy tuck or adding metalcloak track bars.
__________________
Some people shouldn't be allowed near tools... then again some Tools shouldn't be allowed near people.
crunky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
The question is can you lift your jeep for the 300-400 dollar price range... sure you can, but you can't value price quality as NJO is saying. You can get a set of rubicon springs and that will give you about an inch lift. You could also get a set of v8 grand cherokee front springs and swap them into your TJ, then only worry about lifting the rear. I have even heard that swapping a set of front grand chero or rubi springs from the front into the rear of the TJ will give it some lift, never done it or witnessed that one in person.

You can replace the shocks and not replace the springs but why would you want to ? You run risk of damaging shocks if they are designed to use with one travel length and you start running them in a different application.

The sweet spot for lifts seems to be right around that magical 2.5 - 3 inches. Anything over that requires more and more modifications and upgrades down the line.

For what it's worth did you check into Zone's 4.25 inch combo kit ? It's gonna be one of those mass produced get lift quick kits that some people hate on. Proof in the pudding is many more people have had great results with that kit and it leaves the door wide open to continue forward with the mod bug once it really bites you. It offers a 3 inch lift, shocks, a 1 inch motor mount lift, and a 1.25 inch body lift... for right around 500 bucks. This is the quick, down, and dirty way to get your Jeep the stance you are looking for. Like I said, some people with more money and higher expectations of their jeeps will tell you that my suggestion is crap...
then again you will get a lot of average Joe's telling you go for it. Then you are halfway to doing fun things like a tummy tuck or adding metalcloak track bars.
Some people Hate on the zone lift because its really not a great kit. And it has nothing to do with cost either. Spring rates are terrible, TC case drop is a backwards way of getting rid of vibes. Shocks are meh.........don't expect great shocks on a $400 kit....its cheap for a reason. For 3-4 extra tanks of gas more you can get into an OME setup. Why is that setup so great? Because its a kit that's well designed yet simple. Spring rates are correct(in fact you have multiple springs to choose from to dial into your rigs weight correctly), the shocks are good too(though IMO they are best for a DD or light duty off roading only, but their rebound and compression rates are really good)and allow for maximum uptravel without needing a of bumpstopping, the rear TB relocation bracket properly centers the rear axle, and the rear bumpstops are small(20mm) and keep from the springs from coilbind and shocks from compression damage yet allow near perfect 50/50 up/down travel, and again with nearly full uptravel......which means great stability. Its a great kit. Rides fantastic, with great articulation and flex. Its so worth saving up a few hundred extra bucks for.

Ive ridden in a number of Jeeps that feature both the Zone lifts and the OME lifts.......there is no comparison when it comes quality of ride and all of the little details. The Zone lifted Jeeps ride rough in comparions, they ride terrible to me. Most people who praise Zone lifts really have little or no experience with Wranglers outfitted with much higher quality setups. OME is one of them, and the cost isn't much more in reality.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
MFsoftball22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJO View Post
Do yourself a favor then and save up a few hundred more and get an OME 2" kit. They run about 700 bucks. Good things come to those who wait.
X2 Saving up a little extra money and buying a more quality lift would be a lot better option, especially since you are already noticing the harsh ride of your Jeep currently. The 2" OME kit will give you a much better ride and an all around better lift for the money.
MFsoftball22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedLJ04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJO View Post
the rear bumpstops are small(20mm) and keep from the springs from coilbind and shocks from compression damage
I agree with what you're saying. OME makes nice stuff, in fact, I run their springs and shocks. Unfortunately, the 20mm (0.8") rear bumpstops aren't long enough to prevent their shocks from bottoming out, you actually need 1.3" (~0.5" more). I made up the difference with some fender washers.

wolny10, here's what I did with the OME suspension: Unlimited04's LJ Build - JeepForum.com
__________________
Suggested Tech Readings
UnlimitedLJ04 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
99GoldenSahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Washington State
Posts: 251
Does the OME 2" lift kit then require any other mods beyond coils & shocks? I'm looking to stiffen my ride a bit but don't do anything other than light to medium offroading and have no desire/need to go beyond my current 31's. 2" would be great since I'm adding a winch. Just don't need to add any DW in the process!
99GoldenSahara is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 View Post
I agree with what you're saying. OME makes nice stuff, in fact, I run their springs and shocks. Unfortunately, the 20mm (0.8") rear bumpstops aren't long enough to prevent their shocks from bottoming out, you actually need 1.3" (~0.5" more). I made up the difference with some fender washers.

wolny10, here's what I did with the OME suspension: Unlimited04's LJ Build - JeepForum.com
I actually tested this theory of yours out on the 20mm bumpstop extensions not being thick enough for the rear N67 shocks. With springs and jounce bumpers pulled and axle fully stuffed to contact the rear N67 shocks still have about an eigth of an inch left of compression(And at full stuff without the 20mm spacers, eye to barpin you have a tick over 12.5", so adding the extra 20mm gives you over 13.25" total to work with). If you have to roll your axle pinion up a bit, you gain a bit more. Just a heads up.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoldenSahara View Post
Does the OME 2" lift kit then require any other mods beyond coils & shocks? I'm looking to stiffen my ride a bit but don't do anything other than light to medium offroading and have no desire/need to go beyond my current 31's. 2" would be great since I'm adding a winch. Just don't need to add any DW in the process!
THe kit comes with rear TB relocation bracket and rear 20mm bumpstop extensions.......that's all that's needed, nothing else.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
crunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: cape crud ma.
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJO View Post
Some people Hate on the zone lift because its really not a great kit. And it has nothing to do with cost either. Spring rates are terrible, TC case drop is a backwards way of getting rid of vibes.
Like I said, you can't value price quality... and I don't recall seeing a transfer case drop done with the zone kit. Also, the one Kit I have witnessed in person the shocks were indeed swapped over to some Bilsteins, so my suggestion has no concrete value.

I agree with NJO, if you really want to improve there isn't much better than OME. I wasn't trying to blast his suggestions, I was adding options that have been based from historical knowledge gained from this community here.
__________________
Some people shouldn't be allowed near tools... then again some Tools shouldn't be allowed near people.
crunky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
Like I said, you can't value price quality... and I don't recall seeing a transfer case drop done with the zone kit. Also, the one Kit I have witnessed in person the shocks were indeed swapped over to some Bilsteins, so my suggestion has no concrete value.

I agree with NJO, if you really want to improve there isn't much better than OME. I wasn't trying to blast his suggestions, I was adding options that have been based from historical knowledge gained from this community here.
I know zone has a few different kits, one or 2 with the TC case drop, maybe not the specific one you were referring to, but regardless, all the kits feature the same base parts for the most part.

My issue I guess is that a lot of the great zone feedback comes from hs/college kids many times or people who are on a major budget, that just don't have any experience with the higher quality/pricier kits, or a lot of different setups period. If they did I can guarantee you that the high praise for em that you find a lot would be severely tempered.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
99GoldenSahara's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern Washington State
Posts: 251
Sorry if I sound dumb here, but why does the trackbar need to be relocated? Perhaps I'm not totally sure what the TB does on the rear. Thanks for the help.
99GoldenSahara is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJO View Post
THe kit comes with rear TB relocation bracket and rear 20mm bumpstop extensions.......that's all that's needed, nothing else.
If you want, you can get extended swaybar links as well. JKS makes good ones.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoldenSahara View Post
Sorry if I sound dumb here, but why does the trackbar need to be relocated? Perhaps I'm not totally sure what the TB does on the rear. Thanks for the help.
Centers the rear axle properly, which is important due to the rear DS needing to be lined up correctly. The front doesn't need to be perfectly liked up since the front DS has a double cardan joint on it, but the rear doesn't.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
NJO
Jeeper
 
NJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by PStov98TJ View Post
If you want, you can get extended swaybar links as well. JKS makes good ones.
Yes, but its really not necessary on a 2" lift.
NJO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
PStov98TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Beach, Mississippi
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJO View Post
Yes, but its really not necessary on a 2" lift.
I agree it's not necessary. But getting some adjustable ones may not be a bad idea if you ever plan on increasing your lift height.
__________________
OME suspension, some JKS stuff, 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar, 15x8 Pacer wheels, thedirtworx rear tire carrier
PStov98TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
wolny10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 123
So for starters you don't use everything

in the OME 2" kit? I mean you could but it's not needed?

wolny10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC