1. Im need to change the speedo gear & can't seem to figure out how to discover what the gear ratio is? I looked at the charts i've found and its somewhere between 3.55 & 5.13. I have a 4" Lift with 33's.
2. Also, when I upgrade to 35's, i've heard that "re-gearing" will be needed/helpful...what does that mean?
Please help a newb out. Always willing to learn!
Hang on, im bout to try sumthin
No its a manual, and how expensive/difficult was it to have your diff regeared?
I had a friend re-gear mine. I gave him my old 33" tires. He is a auto-tech by trade. Watching him do it, it is not something I would want to attempt. He had some specialized tools he used.
I have heard costs ranging from $3-$600 per axle on a re-gear. One thing that always comes up is if you have a shop do it, buy the gears from them. That way if anything goes wrong, they will warranty the work, and not blame the gear set you provided.
spin one wheel... if the other goes the same direction, you have Limited slip and this is easy....
1. Mark the inside of the tire at the 6 oclock position.
2. mark your rear drive shaft at the 6 oclock position.
3. Rotate your tire one full revolution and count the number of times the drive shaft goes around.
If its close to 3 times... you have 3.07s
close to 3.5 time but a little over.. most likely 3.73
4 times.... 4.11's
I can't recall how to do it with an open diff though....
~Todd~ 2004 X 4.0 5 speed---SOLD
4" Lift, 4.56's, 33" Duratracs on M/T Classics
RR SYE, Tatton CV, MML, BL, TT, Dynomax Exhaust
Hella Lighting: Driving, Fogs and H4 E-Codes NOPE! ... and NEVER will be...