Super35 kit? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 501
Super35 kit?

K so I have a 97 Sahara 5sp 4in lift wit 32/11.5/15 I was quoted 1600 for regearing wit limited slip instead of lockers or I could go wit lockers my question is should I get the super35 or just regear and wht about the front axle?

TjWranglerMan is offline   Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 34,476
Images: 2
If you want a locker in the rear Dana 35 axle, you have to upgrade the axle. A Super 35 kit from Superior Axle is the way to go for that and it's a good upgrade, good up to 35" tires.

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
If you want a locker in the rear Dana 35 axle, you have to upgrade the axle. A Super 35 kit from Superior Axle is the way to go for that and it's a good upgrade, good up to 35" tires.
Ok but wht bout the front? Does tht need to b upgraded as well
TjWranglerMan is offline   Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 34,476
Images: 2
No, the front axle is fine. Only if you go to 35" tires with a front locker would you need to upgrade the front axle shafts. Why? Because the front axle never sees more than about 50% of the stress/load/torque the rear axle sees regularly.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
No, the front axle is fine. Only if you go to 35" tires with a front locker would you need to upgrade the front axle shafts. Why? Because the front axle never sees more than about 50% of the stress/load/torque the rear axle sees regularly.
Makes sense so super35 kit and regear the front
TjWranglerMan is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 243
Gears

I've got the same TJ as you. It has 33"-12.50x15" toyos , ARB lockers front and rear(super 35's) with 456 ratio gearing, also 4-1 transfercase set -up. I am very happy with this combo, can go 70 on freeway, and yet still crawl the rocky trails up here in Northern Ca.
Rocky Bar is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
jdeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 268
Images: 1
I say as long as you're only running 32's you can do whatever is inexpensive to save $. But if you're planning on going with bigger tires, I would spend an extra $400 on top of the $1600 and order a completely new built to your specs rear end which will include a locker or limited slip, gears you want, as well as a bigger housing and axles. That's my opinion. And I know we all have one.
__________________
"I am what I am"
jdeemer is online now   Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
jdeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 268
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Bar View Post
I've got the same TJ as you. It has 33"-12.50x15" toyos , ARB lockers front and rear(super 35's) with 456 ratio gearing, also 4-1 transfercase set -up. I am very happy with this combo, can go 70 on freeway, and yet still crawl the rocky trails up here in Northern Ca.
What part of Northern CA are you in?
__________________
"I am what I am"
jdeemer is online now   Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 243
Gears

We're in Grass Valley. One hour from Sacramento. Lots of trails from mild to wild.
Rocky Bar is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
jdeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 268
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Bar View Post
We're in Grass Valley. One hour from Sacramento. Lots of trails from mild to wild.
I know right where you are. I grew up in Sac. You're real close to the Fordyce trail. (Not sure if that's spelled correctly) Great trails and beautiful country down there. I'm hoping to do the Rubicon this Summer. That's if I get the Ford 8.8 to replace my D35.
__________________
"I am what I am"
jdeemer is online now   Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeemer
I say as long as you're only running 32's you can do whatever is inexpensive to save $. But if you're planning on going with bigger tires, I would spend an extra $400 on top of the $1600 and order a completely new built to your specs rear end which will include a locker or limited slip, gears you want, as well as a bigger housing and axles. That's my opinion. And I know we all have one.
I'm happy wit my 32s I dont think I'll go up but you never know would I b cheaper to find a Dana 44 and put that in? Iv seen super35 kit at 1500 and I got quoted 1600 for gear, limited slip, new seals front and rear

TjWranglerMan is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kit Baseline 4x4 Outfitters Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 22 01-09-2015 08:54 AM
quadratec's aux adapater kit gnod85 TJ General Discussion Forum 33 01-20-2013 01:01 PM
Which lift kit is more ideal/better? 05JeepX TJ General Discussion Forum 25 03-23-2012 11:03 PM
aev highline fender kit vs. flat fenders fshields1 TJ General Discussion Forum 0 02-29-2012 06:02 PM
getting a sye kit need advice IN SB TJ General Discussion Forum 11 02-29-2012 11:43 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC