ok - the writeup i followed for the garage door opener came from jeepforum.com... but the search function is offline and i couldn't find it in the last hour of looking... so i'll see how much i remember.
MOUNTING THE NEW SWITCH
what you need:
(1) - momentary "on" switch from Radio Shack or wherever
i wanted to hide the switch as much as possible, in case i have to park outside in the driveway overnight... i don't like uninvited guests in my garage!
the switch i bought had a black housing but a RED button... i put blue painter's tape around the threads and contacts on the bottom, then shot the red button with a black rattlecan. after it dries,
take the fascia off the center dash... prob. need to pry up the piece on top of the whole dash, with the defrost vent in it. then 2 screws hold on the whole center cover, which is then pulled off, straight forward. then 4 screws hold on the switch panel just above the shifter. i have the "X" model, so no switches in there at all - just blanks.
to keep it as much out of sight as possible, i mounted the new button just above the blank switch covers, facing down. the case for this switch panel has a "lip" that comes out over the top of the switch covers that is about an inch wide or so... i centered and drilled a 1/2" hole (may vary, depending on your switch), then mounted the switch button. it was all plastic, including the nut, so i couldn't get it really tight - just finger-tight, right before it started stripping. but it's held just fine.
WIRING THE REMOTE
here's what you need:
(1) - garage door opener remote (prob. on your visor now... :-)
(1) - set of self-adhesive velcro
(2) - 3' long pieces of 16- or 18-ga wire
basically, you need to take your existing garage door opener remote off your visor, and take it apart. my Genie was in 3 pieces: 2-piece case, plus a circuit board with a button on it inside. also, take the battery out.
the button completes the circuit and opens the garage door. so what you want to do is solder in a new switch button that completes the circuit instead. (actually, the new and old buttons will still work)
the button in my Genie opener has 4 solder points on the circuit board. so i took a short piece of wire, stripped both ends, and experimented until i found the 2 points that opened the door when i touched them with the wire.
i then soldered one 3' piece of the 16/18-ga wire to each of those points and routed them out of the case through an existing hole. it's no big deal to dremel a new or enlarged hole if you need to...
i decided to use the velcro to mount the remote on a plastic support "beam" i felt behind my climate control knobs. i stuck one side of the velcro to my remote, then stuck the other side to that and removed the paper backing. next i wriggled the remote up to where i wanted it and stuck it in place.
next i routed the free ends of the wire through all the other wiring mess in there and out under the climate control stuff near my new switch button.
then i soldered the free ends of those 2 wires to the 2 contacts on the back of my momentary-on switch and tested it all out. all that was left was to cram the extra wire in the hole and put everything back together.
BONUS: WIRING DIRECTLY TO THE JEEP BATTERY
what you need:
(2) - lengths of 16ga wire - long enough to run from your garage remote through the firewall, to your battery
(2) - crimp-on spade-style terminal connectors, female half only
Genie remotes (and Craftsman, i hear) are 12v-powered, which is a great plus! it's a pain to get to the original remote which is now stuck behind the climate control stuff. and when the battery in there starts to go, i had to keep reaching under there to open the garage! for some reason, the weak battery didn't like my new button.
anyway, i pulled the remote out (thus the 3'-long wires...) and removed the battery. on my Genie remote, the battery contacts are very thin metal that is bent in the shape of a circle on a stick. it's also about 1/8" or 3/16" wide. so i flattened the circles with set of needlenose pliers and found the female half of a crimp-on terminal connector fits perfectly.
from here, it's easy... run the 2 wires (one red, one black!) through the firewall to the battery. (red wire positive, black wire negative...) i went through the firewall at the rubber plug on the driver's side right behind the clutch pedal. my CB power goes through there also...
the other ends of the wire get the crimp-on terminal connectors. then i pushed the connectors on to the now-flat battery contacts, matching the positive and negative contacts, of course.
i had to use the dremel to create space on the inside of the plastic garage remote's casing for the new connectors, as well as a couple new holes for the battery wires to exit. after that, i put it all together and stuck it back in its hiding place.
THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST FUN-TO-USE MOD I'VE INSTALLED YET! especially for my wife, who loves buttons...
good luck and i'll be happy to answer any questions this write-up may raise. no pics at this point, but i may try to take some and post them later.
keep it rubber-side down!